Police Requesting Business Owner Details

Recently our office has been visited by one of the local police from the area and he keeps asking for the owners passport copy, company details and has taken a photo of the front of our premises (this started before the Coups by the way so doesn't appear to be related to anything to do with that).

At first we thought it was the usual type of visit and fobbed him off but he has persisted and keeps coming back, the most recent visit he bought a letter requesting all the information.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this and if so do you know what it is all about?

Thanks for any info.

CocoNutz.

Don't know to be honest, it was written in Thai and then it was translated by our Thai staff in an email. I'll check the actual document on Monday but off the top of my head I don't remember seeing any offical looking stamps or logos on it which you normally see on anything vaguely offical.

Thanks.

CocoNutz

Recently our office has been visited by one of the local police from the area and he keeps asking for the owners passport copy, company details and has taken a photo of the front of our premises (this started before the Coups by the way so doesn't appear to be related to anything to do with that).

At first we thought it was the usual type of visit and fobbed him off but he has persisted and keeps coming back, the most recent visit he bought a letter requesting all the information.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this and if so do you know what it is all about?

Thanks for any info.

CocoNutz.

If they really had a warrant then they would come with armed police

You can ask for a copy of the letter then take it to the tessabaan to double check

Take a photo of the person holding the letter also in case it is a fraud

Normally you know of they are from the tessabaan as they come in a group

If you are really suspicious then you should call the police on 191

Or tourist police who should bring the royal thai police if there is a case

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by BigC

To answer your original question - I have never heard of this - but I live a quiet life. My business is to do with rental villas and does not attract much attention from the police.

If you have a copy of the letter - take it to the tourist police office and ask them. It is in Samui Town Centre - on the ring road in between Bophut and Big C.

The other Big C's advice is sound. Call the tourist police when he next appears.

Samuibruno's idea of taking a photo is also good. Years ago two 'police' came to my house collecting for HM the King's birthday. When I took a photo of them they disappeared.

If you are in Chaweng, the police there are quite helpful. The police station is near the Muay Thai stadium at Lam Din. On the new road to the lake.

Otherwise try the main police station at Nathon. It is on the left as you meet the one way system (before Tesco) as you are coming from Maenam.

As others say - please keep us posted in case it is a scam that we should watch out for.

• Like 1

To answer your original question - I have never heard of this - but I live a quiet life. My business is to do with rental villas and does not attract much attention from the police.

If you have a copy of the letter - take it to the tourist police office and ask them. It is in Samui Town Centre - on the ring road in between Bophut and Big C.

The other Big C's advice is sound. Call the tourist police when he next appears.

Samuibruno's idea of taking a photo is also good. Years ago two 'police' came to my house collecting for HM the King's birthday. When I took a photo of them they disappeared.

If you are in Chaweng, the police there are quite helpful. The police station is near the Muay Thai stadium at Lam Din. On the new road to the lake.

Otherwise try the main police station at Nathon. It is on the left as you meet the one way system (before Tesco) as you are coming from Maenam.

As others say - please keep us posted in case it is a scam that we should watch out for.

Yes there were fake police seen a few months ago in the samui times

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Thanks for all the information and suggestions, will try the tourist police today and see what they say. Will update you with any developments, although I know he isn't a fake policeman because I have seen him around here for years. Whether what he is asking is real or fake we will see what we can find out.

CocoNutz

• Like 2