No Straight People Allowed!

Scott

No straight people allowed: Dutch scheme for 'Gay Village' sparks backlash
v2pg-28-gaybourhood-getty.jpg

Opponents warn plan amounts to ghettoisation of people who should be able to feel safe without hiding behind locked gates

Charlotte McDonald-Gibson plus.png

Brussels

Wednesday 18 June 2014

A Dutch scheme to build a utopian gated neighbourhood exclusively for the gay community has sparked a backlash, with opponents warning that retreating to a “ghetto” will not help tackle homophobia and prejudice in society.

The project dubbed “Gay Village” by developers aims to give members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community a prejudice-free environment with luxuries including tennis courts and a cooking school.

But opponents warn that the plan amounts to the ghettoisation of people who should be able to feel safe without hiding behind locked gates.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/no-straight-people-allowed-dutch-scheme-for-gay-village-sparks-backlash-9547025.html

I am Gay and I would hate to stay in a place like that, I feel safe where I live..

We keep ourselves to ourselves, have great friends, mostly straight and no one bats an eye lid.

Not for me, but I am sure others might disagree, like I always say, life is all about Choices....

• Like 1

From the hoax link:

'Gays-Only' Village Outed As Hoax (But Prank Was For Good Reason)
The Huffington Post | By Dominique Mosbergen

Posted: 06/19/2014 1:36 pm EDT Updated: 06/19/2014 1:59 pm EDT
Print Article
n-GAY-AMSTERDAM-large570.jpg

Wanting to make a point about the violence facing the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community in the Netherlands, a Dutch gay rights group this week orchestrated an elaborate hoax that successfully fooled many around the world.

Earlier this week, news that a real estate developer was planning to build a gays-only village in the Dutch city of Tilburg went viral after a story about the proposed neighborhood appeared in a local newspaper. The selling point of the neighborhood, said local reports, was that it would be a safe space for LGBT individuals to live. Even the mayor of Tilburg, Peter Noordanus, told media he supported the planned village.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/19/gay-village-hoax-netherlands_n_5511676.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices

I am Gay and I would hate to stay in a place like that, I feel safe where I live..

We keep ourselves to ourselves, have great friends, mostly straight and no one bats an eye lid.

Not for me, but I am sure others might disagree, like I always say, life is all about Choices....

I agree with you, I'd hate to live in a place like that - I'm quite happy living with the majority. I can see it now getting a citation for wearing blue and brown in public or simply planting marigolds.

I get the hoax, would have been much more fun if it was in Texas though.

• Like 2

I am so glad it has been outed as a hoax - I was all gearing up and wording my opposition to it. Hey, after I first visited the Castro District in SF in the 1980s, I thought I'd turn straight if I had to live there.

There was talk about a Gay Town project in Thailand some 10 or so years ago. Same idea: Gated community, gays only. Foreigners were invited to buy condos there, but it never got off the ground. I think it was going to be in Nakorn Nayok, but Google does not help. Anybody remember this?

• Like 1

Gated gay village with no straight people...I'm afraid San Francisco beat them to it.

Not in your dreams. I spent several years living in the Bay area, including a couple of years in San Francisco.

Shouldn't straight people now all over this thread, and the source that published it, to protest the fact that they are discriminated in this world ?

Of course they should, the poor dears. They only comprise 95% of the population and those nasty poofs give them such a hard time.

• Like 1

The straight people should be allowed in the village as long as they don't try to impose their lifestyle on others. They can at least try not to act straight and I hope they don't have any of those awful straight parades and ruin the ambiance of the community.

Like gays will act straight when they enter a straight community ?

The straight people should be allowed in the village as long as they don't try to impose their lifestyle on others. They can at least try not to act straight and I hope they don't have any of those awful straight parades and ruin the ambiance of the community.

Yes, many do. Some do it very well, like Rock Hudson.

Most of us do. In fact we act so straight you don't even realise we're gay. Where are these 'straight communities' you talk of?

Gareth Thomas? Orlando Cruz? Ian Roberts?

I didn't know this was the history forum.

I'm talking about gays, not gays in a closet.

Or these folks...

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-issues/201109/dont-ask-dont-tell-gay-soldiers-military

Gated gay village with no straight people...I'm afraid San Francisco beat them to it.

Not in your dreams. I spent several years living in the Bay area, including a couple of years in San Francisco.

Captain Kirk to Scottie...lighten up ladd it was a joke :)

There are reportedly a few non-LGBT people living and working in San Francisco.

Ian Roberts looks great in drag

I didn't know this was the history forum.

I'm talking about gays, not gays in a closet.

Captain Kirk to Scottie...lighten up ladd it was a joke smile.png

A joke is only funny the first time round.