Trafficker of rose-selling children on Bangkok's Khaosan Road arrested

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys are all up and down Sukhumvit in the tourist areas. Sending mothers out with babies that are bright-eyed and full of life at 6PM, then completely crashed and impervious to all the noise by 8:30. Baby Benadryl has always been my take on what they may use..., just hope it's not something worse. The kids selling flowers and gum....., most from the same lot but some do run with family close by to make some extra cash for food. Thinking of one I used to see around Soi 20-22.

I can spot them from 100 meters and shortly after that I can find the guys "managing" them as they hawk their stuff or hold out their cups. No doubt getting less than 50% of what they take.

I hope they're serious about this and taking every one of these scumbags out of business.

Human trafficking is rampant in Thailand...a blind man could see it. Too bad the govt/police have seen little of it until things like negative worldwide press fully opens the eyes and ears of govt/police. I just hope their eyes and ears stay open with aggressive anti-trafficking action when they see and hear about human. Oh yea, and don't wait for it to "just happen to come into view"---get out there and aggressively investigate and hunt down human traffickers.

• Like 2

Yikes - I had no idea - I regularly give these kids 20 Baht on the road next to Khaosan since I thought I was helping there families with the money - Gee I feel real bad now that I was actually aiding this trafficking...And also stupid that I did not think this situation through.

No, at worst, yours and others innocent donations probably saved the kids from a beating or worse, sold in to a pedophile ring.

• Like 1

“Most of them start with an agreement of how much money they will they get monthly and when the kid will be back,” said Mr. Witanapat said. “But then it becomes human trafficking because the handlers stop paying the families and refuse to return the child.”

and

Pol. Col. Chitpot said police are trying to contact their families to establish whether or not the children are victims of trafficking, but noted that their parents may be unwilling to step forward if they are living in Thailand illegally.

These children are being exploited in contravention of Thailand's child labour laws. How can there be any doubt that they have been trafficked?

• Like 2

Purchased from the family, sick, just sick. The family and the guy involved. $51 for a child ! How could they? I bet the family buffalo is still at home !

Or, it could be a indication of just how desperate the lives of the family are. Buffalo at home? Maybe they don't even have a home. I have no idea, so I don't feel in a position to judge.

• Like 1

I forget the name of the minister or official who recently spoke on the US downgrading of Thailand on the Anti-trafficking index, who said while he accepts the downgrading he disagrees as he says Thailand has been taking measures recently. But the very visible and obvious existence of these Kids and the recent allegations linking the Navy to the trafficking of Rohingya don't suggest that.

• Like 1

Well done US. Maybe downgrading Thailand to the lowest rank in its annual Trafficking in Persons Report (TIP) for not complying with the minimum standards for eliminating human trafficking has motivated Thailand to make greater efforts in investigating and stopping human trafficking. I look forward to the junta to bring all the nation's resources to root out this evil even if it means "shooting itself in the foot."

• Like 1