Why don’t you “fly the flag”?

Costas2008

I think it is inappropriate.....

I would be very angry to see the Turkish immigrants fly their flags in my home country. And everyone was upset with Erdogan making speeches in Germany and Austria.

I've seen many Greek immigrants flying their flags in the USA, and Germany.

Haven't been to Australia, but I believe they do the same.

Hi, Costas.  In Australia they need not to fly Greek flags.  Every Greek has two Lions on both sides of the gate usually big concrete ones coloured white. 

Even if the gate is missing the Lions are there. biggrin.png

BTW, Melbourne is the world capital of Greeks after Athens.  The Lions businesses are doing well.

Edited by ABCer

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very angry to see the Turkish immigrants fly their flags in my home country. And everyone was upset with Erdogan making speeches in Germany and Austria.

Hi, Costas.  In Australia they need not to fly Greek flags.  Every Greek has two Lions on both sides of the gate usually big concrete ones coloured white. 

BTW, Melbourne is the world capital of Greeks after Athens.  The Lions businesses are doing well.

Don't know why the lions.

In Greece they don't usually display any lions, the only place I have seen them is the UK.

Lions, gargoyles or something similar to pine cones (don't recall the name)

May be, they liked seeing them on English houses and they adopted them.

The Greek population in Melbourne is about 350,000.

Never been there but may be one day I'll make that trip.

Don't know why the lions.

In Greece they don't usually display any lions, the only place I have seen them is the UK.

Lions, gargoyles or something similar to pine cones (don't recall the name)

May be, they liked seeing them on English houses and they adopted them.

The Greek population in Melbourne is about 350,000.

Never been there but may be one day I'll make that trip.

In ancient Greece, lions were identified with Dionysus, Phoebus, Cybele, and Artemis because myth indicates lions drew the chariots for these gods and goddesses. Here, the symbolic meaning of lions revolved around protections and they were viewed as guardians of the dead as well as guardians of palaces, doorways, shrines and thrones. They were also ultimate protectors of hearth and home.

They did not seem to protect the temple of Artemis at Ephes too well...all I saw there was a dead bird lying on one of the pillars which someone had obviously sacrificed there.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

As I believe that we are also proud of our own countries, why, haven’t I seen any farang house displaying the flag of their country?

Yes I am so very --Very proud of my country --- but I prefer to live somewhere else.................................. coffee1.gif

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 2

As I believe that we are also proud of our own countries, why, haven’t I seen any farang house displaying the flag of their country?

in my village there are a few nut jobs that fly foreign flags - usually dutch or german.  but no thai flags.  so which planet is it that "every  thai house has two flags"

I don't have a front gate.

I see more Thais wearing the flag from my home then I do back home so they are doing the job for me.

I am from the USA and I too see Thai girls wearing clothing made of the US flag almost every day.

I have commented before that they are wearing my countries flag, and not once did the  girl wearing the flag have any idea that it was a flag, let alone what country it represented.

Thai awareness is pretty much limited to Thailand.

Nothing outside of Thailand is important to them.

Stars and stripes, red, white and blue....it's just a pretty pattern to them. 

I'll admit..it looks better on them then on a pole!  [attachment=276846:images (1).jpg]

• Like 1

in my village there are a few nut jobs that fly foreign flags - usually dutch or german.  but no thai flags.  so which planet is it that "every  thai house has two flags"

I've got a Thai flag and a Scottish flag hanging up outside our house. They are not on flag poles but hanging inside the car port. Thai for the gf, Scottish for me. Does this make me a nut job?:D I am not a raving nationalist. She's perfectly happy with it and none of the locals have commented on it so it seems everyone is cool for me to fly my flag. Some houses seem to have many Thai flags, even the yellow ones which I assume is a royal flag but the majority don't have flags.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

I agree.

Its inappropriate many wont like it. I am not a nationalist so I also dont feel the need. The world would be a better place without nationalism. Americans are crazy about it the Dutch not so.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not all Americans. I never flew an American flag back there, so not here either. Most Americans I know don't either.  Funny this topic is seen as another opportunity to rag on Americans. Now Thais, back to topic, they DO fly a lot of Thai flags, don't they?

• Like 1

I agree.

Its inappropriate many wont like it. I am not a nationalist so I also dont feel the need. The world would be a better place without nationalism. Americans are crazy about it the Dutch not so.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not all Americans. I never flew an American flag back there, so not here either. Most Americans I know don't either.  Funny this topic is seen as another opportunity to rag on Americans. Now Thais, back to topic, they DO fly a lot of Thai flags, don't they?

They rag on me JT, but everybody is free to express their opinion.

• Like 2

I wouldn't fly any flag in Thailand as I can only see it as being inflammatory. Don't forget, most Thai's are fiercely nationalistic. I'm in the UK at the moment refurbishing my property for letting out again. I wouldn't be very happy if the stars and stripes, Polish flag or Kosovan flag appeared in the street. It's a pride thing with me. If I decided to put one up myself it would be the Cross of St George and certainly not the Union Jack.

Just noticed, my jackboots need a good polish.

In my country:

- I was forced to go under 8 years of endoctrination. Forced to wake up every morning to attend to listen to bs I didn't want to.

- I had to pay more than 60% of my revenue in taxes, all to be spent in corruption and useless people I don't give a fig about.

- It reached a point whenI had to leave because I am not the one who is going to support a ruined country while people there don't care about anything but their own.

So no, I am not proud of what my country is now. I am proud of what it was before but now is just a dump full of trash. I didn't make it dirty so I am not the one who is gonna clean it.

On the other hand:

- Thailand gave me a nice place to live.

- Thailand asked me very little in return.

So yes, I fly the Thai flag and keep my flag at home, privately, as a sign of hope that things change someday.

Where do you come from Urloc?

Can't be so bad, especially reading the comments about the situation in Greece now.

But it seems we both have faith that things will change and better days are coming.

The difference is, I fly the flag but you keep it safe at home.

I wish things get better in your country so you will be proud enough to show your flag again.

Spain.

I am not talking about the economy, which is really screwed up but that is not the point. The thing is how the country is in that situation and why.

- They let the inmigrants (mostly latin americans) to go freely into the country and gave them full rights to everything.

- There was such a protectionism about them that when I wanted to ask for some help from the govt to stablish a business I was denied for being white and Spanish.

- If you fly the Spanish flag anywhere in the country you are considered a fascist. Doing it in some cities may lead you to death.

- It is not a sovereigh country anymore, it is under the law of Europe.

And all this has been done without spilling blood, just by convincing people it was the fair thing. They have what they deserve. So yes, I am proud of my ancestors and my roots, but not what is now.

CNT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU8c6NXD9a8

In my country:

- I was forced to go under 8 years of endoctrination. Forced to wake up every morning to attend to listen to bs I didn't want to.

- I had to pay more than 60% of my revenue in taxes, all to be spent in corruption and useless people I don't give a fig about.

- It reached a point whenI had to leave because I am not the one who is going to support a ruined country while people there don't care about anything but their own.

So no, I am not proud of what my country is now. I am proud of what it was before but now is just a dump full of trash. I didn't make it dirty so I am not the one who is gonna clean it.

On the other hand:

- Thailand gave me a nice place to live.

- Thailand asked me very little in return.

So yes, I fly the Thai flag and keep my flag at home, privately, as a sign of hope that things change someday.

Where do you come from Urloc?

Can't be so bad, especially reading the comments about the situation in Greece now.

But it seems we both have faith that things will change and better days are coming.

The difference is, I fly the flag but you keep it safe at home.

I wish things get better in your country so you will be proud enough to show your flag again.

Spain.

I am not talking about the economy, which is really screwed up but that is not the point. The thing is how the country is in that situation and why.

- They let the inmigrants (mostly latin americans) to go freely into the country and gave them full rights to everything.

- There was such a protectionism about them that when I wanted to ask for some help from the govt to stablish a business I was denied for being white and Spanish.

- If you fly the Spanish flag anywhere in the country you are considered a fascist. Doing it in some cities may lead you to death.

- It is not a sovereigh country anymore, it is under the law of Europe.

And all this has been done without spilling blood, just by convincing people it was the fair thing. They have what they deserve. So yes, I am proud of my ancestors and my roots, but not what is now.

CNT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU8c6NXD9a8

I really don't understand what has the CNT/AIT have to do with my post.

your flag should be flown lower than the thai flag.

Who cares?

And the answer is obvious, but aganst TV rules.

respectful people care

You measure respect in centimeters?

How old are you?

boorishness is not age dependent

To Urloc:

You said it was better in Spain before.

I was hoping (no, not realy) that you referred to the Republic.

All along, I knew you meant The Caudillo.

I am not the big fan of Franco. I would prefer him ten times to what is now though. When he passed away and democracy started in Spain, things started to rot. And now the mindset of people is just awful. Can't tell personally because I was born after Franco's death but anyways I prefer that government way than what we have now.

The "reds" as we call them in Spain had a different view of Spain. Not the best for my taste but at least they were patriots. They loved Spain and they fought to death for the sake of the country they wanted for. Even not liking the idea of comunism, they still wanted the best for the country or what they thought it was the best. But now the so called "reds" are not patriots. They even want to break Spain in pieces and you can talk about that openly. However, if you say you want the inmigrants out of your country you are silenced.

So yeah, they have what they deserve and I admire the patriotism of Thais. Yellow ones or red ones, they are all patriots.

To Urloc:

I am not the big fan of Franco. I would prefer him ten times to what is now though. When he passed away and democracy started in Spain, things started to rot. And now the mindset of people is just awful. Can't tell personally because I was born after Franco's death but anyways I prefer that government way than what we have now.

The "reds" as we call them in Spain had a different view of Spain. Not the best for my taste but at least they were patriots. They loved Spain and they fought to death for the sake of the country they wanted for. Even not liking the idea of comunism, they still wanted the best for the country or what they thought it was the best. But now the so called "reds" are not patriots. They even want to break Spain in pieces and you can talk about that openly. However, if you say you want the inmigrants out of your country you are silenced.

So yeah, they have what they deserve and I admire the patriotism of Thais. Yellow ones or red ones, they are all patriots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Terror_(Spain)

To Urloc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Terror_(Spain)

AYJAYDEE Are you sure you quoted the right article?