Police presence Chaweng.

FYI there was a heavy police presence at the top of Chaweng this morning (9:00am), I also noticed one or two guys wearing military fatigues.

I was subsequently pulled over and then told to drive back the way I came from and go back to my hotel. He said that they are stopping people who aren't wearing helmets, I was not wearing a helmet, and I guess I just got lucky.

Sent from my iPhone 6

FYI there was a heavy police presence at the top of Chaweng this morning (9:00am), I also noticed one or two guys wearing military fatigues.

I was subsequently pulled over and then told to drive back the way I came from and go back to my hotel. He said that they are stopping people who aren't wearing helmets, I was not wearing a helmet, and I guess I just got lucky.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Might have been Amper guards

They wear army style uniform and police the Amper

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

me thinks more to it than just mobilizing the A team for helmet violations?

Nothing sinister! They have been having roadblocks all over the island for over a week now. Started last week at Naton with two seperate road blocks. So no reason to get excited. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Hello RJDuncan

When you say top of Chaweng, where exactly do you mean please?

When I come out of Tesco in Chaweng, I turn right onto the ring road and head towards Lamai where I live. After Tesco, and having just gone through the first set of traffic lights, I sometimes notice a police presence. If they want to stop you, they direct you into what looks like a (Catholic?) church area. As I pass by it looks like this area has plenty of space to park bikes and for people to line up to pay their fines. Is that where you mean?

Thanks

me thinks more to it than just mobilizing the A team for helmet violations?

Nothing sinister! They have been having roadblocks all over the island for over a week now. Started last week at Naton with two seperate road blocks. So no reason to get excited. rolleyes.gif

Hello oldsailor35

You say nothing sinister, but what is the purpose of the roadblocks? Are they looking for drugs? Two separate roadblocks in Nathon suggests more than just a standard helmet check.

This post was intended as an informative report of police enforcing generally unenforced road laws.

I don't believe sharing such information should be censored or frowned upon given the context.

Sent from my iPhone 6

• Like 1

There was a videotaping team (from a news channel? ) 200 meter further down the beach road and all they got on tape was law abiding drivers.

Everyone driving without a helmet was sent back, no fines issued today.

Edited by lom
  • Like 1

This post was intended as an informative report of police enforcing generally unenforced road laws.

I don't believe sharing such information should be censored or frowned upon given the context.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Well the context to me is giving a heads up to people who are about to break the law , not too. I would understand the context if it was about a road closure, a traffic accident something along these lines.

But to warn someone about helmet checks or perhaps leading to a drug check, not right in my books.

If you abide by the law & stop skirting it you shouldn't worry .

• Like 1

Sent from my iPhone 6

Well the context to me is giving a heads up to people who are about to break the law , not too. I would understand the context if it was about a road closure, a traffic accident something along these lines.

But to warn someone about helmet checks or perhaps leading to a drug check, not right in my books.

We are all entitled to our opinions no matter how anal thay may be.

I do understand your point, but I'd disagree that publicly documenting an [out of the norm] occurrence, is some how aiding criminals.

Sometimes it's better to take a more coherent perspective on an issue, rather than generalising that all laws are equal.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Can I ask a simple question. Why do we have to alert people of police presence? You break the law you pay, very simple. You haven't broken the law nothing to worry about . simple again.

If only it was so easy Rooo. There was a story some weeks back of a guy being stopped and fined for having the foot pegs down on his bike with no passenger. Also, if people see more and more warnings about police presence then perhaps more people will start wearing a helmet.

I first heard of the 'foot peg' scam in Pattaya some years ago in Pattaya. I did not realise that it had come to Samui. sad.png

Anyway - it does not affect me - on my bike I cannot put the stand down if the foot pegs are down. thumbsup.gif

Can I ask a simple question. Why do we have to alert people of police presence? You break the law you pay, very simple. You haven't broken the law nothing to worry about . simple again.

If only it was so easy Rooo. There was a story some weeks back of a guy being stopped and fined for having the foot pegs down on his bike with no passenger. Also, if people see more and more warnings about police presence then perhaps more people will start wearing a helmet.

I first heard of the 'foot peg' scam in Pattaya some years ago in Pattaya. I did not realise that it had come to Samui. sad.png

Anyway - it does not affect me - on my bike I cannot put the stand down if the foot pegs are down. thumbsup.gif

I think this particular story was in Phuket but it doesn't really affect the point which is warning people of a shakedown squad.

Sent from my iPhone 6

I do understand your point, but I'd disagree that publicly documenting an [out of the norm] occurrence, is some how aiding criminals.

Sometimes it's better to take a more coherent perspective on an issue, rather than generalising that all laws are equal.

Sent from my iPhone 6

I am also entitled to my opinion, just because I have moderator after my name does not mean I have to keep quite about things I personally think are wrong.

Please read my post again, I said telling people about road closures etc... is great but I don't agree about warning lawbreakers about police checkpoints.

• Like 2

A warning not to,leave your passenger footpegs down is not the same thing as providing locations of police checkpoints...so what am I misunderstanding in your post?

Thanks

A warning not to,leave your passenger footpegs down is not the same thing as providing locations of police checkpoints...so what am I misunderstanding in your post?

Thanks

You misunderstand that many of these are shakedown squads and footpegs are just an example. If I told YOU that going down a certain road would cost you 'x' Baht even though you were doing nothing wrong then you would admonish me for doing so. Notice I left out the question mark because you have already said you would. Sheesh... some people.

You misunderstand that many of these are shakedown squads and footpegs are just an example. If I told YOU that going down a certain road would cost you 'x' Baht even though you were doing nothing wrong then you would admonish me for doing so. Notice I left out the question mark because you have already said you would. Sheesh... some people.

Well in all the years I've been riding, never been shaken down, so please let's not go therebiggrin.png , first time I hear about foot pegs ever. We are drifting away from the original post & like a previous one, a heads up.

Well in all the years I've been riding, never been shaken down, so please let's not go there:D , first time I hear about foot pegs ever. We are drifting away from the original post & like a previous one, a heads up.

Never been shaken down (shook down?) ever but attempted shake down over 15 years would be 50 plus. Friends/ relatives who have been shaken (shook) down during that time would be 200+ I'd say.

I find it absurd that some people look for the negative connotations in any and every post.

Those with this holier-than-thou, PC apologetic attitude really need more perspective upon their regressive world view.

It is certainly not morally wrong, nor is it even illegal to warn another of cherry-picked, rarely unenforced traffic laws.

I see it being no different than the location of speed-cameras being revealed to the public in the UK. It is NOT illegal as local councils, government, private and public websites provide maps showing their placement.

And we complain of political-correctness-gone-mad...give me a break.

Sent from my iPhone 6

The " heads up" is fine IMO but the non wearing of a helmet certainly isn't. I've been guilty a few times I will admit. Really should wear one at all times.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well in all the years I've been riding, never been shaken down, so please let's not go therebiggrin.png , first time I hear about foot pegs ever. We are drifting away from the original post & like a previous one, a heads up.

Then I have to say, Rooo, you've been extremely lucky. There was one occasion that, in just one day, biking 20k from way down Sukhumvit into the Silom area, I was stopped 3 times - all of them because I was a farang. (ie have money - big bike - stay short time). The first time was for overtaking OUT of the inside lane (how else can I overtake, officer?). The second was for going too fast (but I'm doing the same speed as everyone else officier!). And the third time, on the way back, it was - yes - footpegs down. (I didn't know what to say to that . . .)

Every *single* time I took my bike onto Sukhumvit I was shaken down for something ridiculous. I was never asked to show a licence (didn't have one) or stopped because the bike didn't have any tax, insurance or green book. And it was pocket money for the BIB each time, no receipt given. I always made sure I had plenty of 100 baht notes every time I went out.

The same thing happened with a rented bike on 2 occasions in Pattaya.

BUT - it's never happened to me here on Samui. And I'm pleased to say that I've always found the police here to be fair and polite, even if stone-faced (as probably befits their Very Important Position in Society).

On topic again, the police here are definitely getting a bit more organised. I notice their Mae Nam exploits most, as I live there. And the last helmet check they had men stationed at all the exit roads in sight of the checkpoint. Always before it's been just one road on either side!

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

Sent from my iPhone 6

Sent from my iPhone 6

RJD is perfectly in order to warn us of police presence and helmet checks.

To alert drivers that a helmet check is being held will mean that anyone intending driving that route, having been alerted, for example by this post, will make sure they are wearing a helmet if using that route.

This premise is used throughout the UK by the police and safety camera partnerships to warn drivers in advance that fixed and more specifically mobile speed cameras are being used at times on certain routes to reduce speeding on those routes.

Personally, I see little difference to that here.

By way of example:http://www.safetycameraswestyorkshire.co.uk/locations.htm

So he would be quite correct in advising people of a drug check? Yorkie the law states you have to wear a helmet.

We are not in the UK , we are not any where else. We sit here & being hypocrites about someone dying for not wearing a helmet.

But yu guys find it quite acceptable to warn someone about a check point?

Simple. the law says wear a helmet, what is it you do not understand about that? The wear or the helmet.

To Mr RJ Duncan, not negative at all, but be pro active in wear a helmet attitude instead of just posting hey guys, guess what? a check point.

I find both your arguments quite ridiculous.

Sure you are an individual, you want to tempt fate, please do so, but do not tell me that I am negative when you are warning people breaking the law.

Not so hard to understand from two upstanding law abiding citizens now is it?

Also bear in mind Thaivisa rule # 3.

So next time , please enlighten us with a Breathalyzer checkpoint or something similar, nothing wrong with that .

Nothing wrong with drink driving is there now?

Its Thailand.