Thai police upset by US human trafficking report

webfact

Thai police upset by US human trafficking report
By Digital Content

14035174294782.jpg

BANGKOK, June 23 -- Thailand's police are prepared to tackle human trafficking issues, especially in the fisheries industry and regarding illegal migrants, after the United States downgraded Thailand to the lowest ranking in its latest Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report.

Acting National Police Chief Pol Gen Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit expressed disappointment on Monday after the US State Department downgraded Thailand to a Tier 3 rating in the 2014 Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report released last Friday.

He said the Thai police will review the Trafficking in Persons Report 2014 thoroughly and renew the effort to fight human trafficking problems, especially in the fisheries industry and among those involved in the illegal immigration of Rohingya Muslims and Xinjiang Uygur, in line with international human rights standards.

Gen Watcharapol added that the Thai police have also worked hard in combating against counterfeiting and pirated consumer goods to avoid being targeted by international governments which could affect the country’s overall economy. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-23

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NCPO: All suspects in lese majeste cases, national security cases, violators of NCPO orders will face court martial

Due to the fluid situation in Thailand and the pressure being placed on the media, Thaivisa will temporarily impose strict limitations on any comments that can be construed as being negative about the imposition of Martial Law or the Coup. Posters will also not be permitted to make references to the royal family.

It is the hope of Thaivisa that this will be a temporary situation. Thaivisa will continue to monitor the situation and it is our wish that in a short while we will be able to less strict in the policy concerning posting. Posts contravening the policy will be removed without notice.

Please exercise extreme care in your posts. The same rules applies to Facebook, Twitter and other social media. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Thaivisa Forum guidelines/rules: http://www.thaivisa....tion=boardrules

Thaivisa Forum Admin

• Like 1

I find there is a general disdain for Thailand by many .. I am guessing Westerners ...that have such a low opinion of Thailand.

That Thailand should object to the rating given by the US government on Human Trafficking...I can guess that most people don't want their country criticized by any foreigner..so that's a natural reaction not just a Thai perspective.

Since over 22 years coming to Thailand & now living here I have never seen or experienced this problem but if others are more a expert on the subject I'd be more interesting in listening.

Since it was the US making the claim it's as if there is no human trafficking done in the US? or in their farming industry done by Latinos?

Just because the US makes standards..and they can because they are the ones linked to any loans etc given by the World Bank & IMF that is affected by the Tier system they can say what they want.

My initial reaction would be the US has destroyed 7 countries in the last 10 years or so & now leading the charge towards World War & Nuclear attacks against Russia & China.

Most of the other Western Countries... including my own are basically Puppets and to me have no right to say anything on any moral high ground.

Is Thailand perfect?.. of course not but where is?..Your home country?

You're right.

There is a huge human trafficking system into and within the USA. Much of it is facilitated by ICE agents, and other 3 letter agencies.

Oh, and most recently, by our Supreme Leader.

Actually, only the OP headline says the police are "upset" at the downgrade in the U.S. human trafficking report.

The actual article only cites the police chief as expressing "disappointment."

But either way, at least, he didn't say the police were "surprised," since they more than most are certainly well aware of what goes on here.

• Like 1

They're probably also upset that they didn't get a portion of that 400 thousand spent on Washington lobbyists. That would certainly have been better spent inside the country working on the real problems. edit..oops ..corrected amount

Edited by T_Dog

The cats out of the bag, better be seen to do something now,

no more turning a blind eye to the suffering,one thing that

might change things is loss of export earnings,(money)that

will get Thais to do something.

regards Worgeordie

Lets hope the junta doesn't cut too much into the BIB's illegal earnings. They are nasty <deleted> and may turn to kidnapping to make up for the loss of income. Better hope Thailand doesn't turn into Mexico/Columbia.

I find there is a general disdain for Thailand by many .. I am guessing Westerners ...that have such a low opinion of Thailand.

That Thailand should object to the rating given by the US government on Human Trafficking...I can guess that most people don't want their country criticized by any foreigner..so that's a natural reaction not just a Thai perspective.

Since over 22 years coming to Thailand & now living here I have never seen or experienced this problem but if others are more a expert on the subject I'd be more interesting in listening.

Since it was the US making the claim it's as if there is no human trafficking done in the US? or in their farming industry done by Latinos?

Just because the US makes standards..and they can because they are the ones linked to any loans etc given by the World Bank & IMF that is affected by the Tier system they can say what they want.

My initial reaction would be the US has destroyed 7 countries in the last 10 years or so & now leading the charge towards World War & Nuclear attacks against Russia & China.

Most of the other Western Countries... including my own are basically Puppets and to me have no right to say anything on any moral high ground.

There is no such disdain concerning Thailand, in general, from Westerners as you suggest, and especially those of us who have lived here for a long time.

There is, however, disdain for the continued corruption, lack of effort to overcome it, and continued selective blindness to many atrocities. That is a very different agenda.

Thailand purports to being a member of the UN, and it also receives huge benefits from the World Bank, which you ascertain. In doing so, Thailand itself must recognise international standards and make every effort to adhere to such. The US does not make the standards... the international community does, whereby standards of life considered to include freedom, freedom of speeh and action, within the limits of acceptable laws, are adhered to.

It is those standards that Thailand agreed to when signing agreements with exactly the likes of the UN and the World Bank, and thus should adhere to, yet chooses not to ad hoc.

Each individual home country is irrelevant, when taking into account 192 member countries of the UN which all counter measures which impede rules agreed upon.

As a result, Thailand is more than far from perfect in its agreements to adhere, and yet we do not carry disdain for Thailnd, but its lack of efficiency in attempts to counter what is mentioned in line 2.

Good post..

• Like 1

There is no such disdain concerning Thailand, in general, from Westerners as you suggest, and especially those of us who have lived here for a long time.

There is, however, disdain for the continued corruption, lack of effort to overcome it, and continued selective blindness to many atrocities. That is a very different agenda.

Thailand purports to being a member of the UN, and it also receives huge benefits from the World Bank, which you ascertain. In doing so, Thailand itself must recognise international standards and make every effort to adhere to such. The US does not make the standards... the international community does, whereby standards of life considered to include freedom, freedom of speeh and action, within the limits of acceptable laws, are adhered to.

It is those standards that Thailand agreed to when signing agreements with exactly the likes of the UN and the World Bank, and thus should adhere to, yet chooses not to ad hoc.

Each individual home country is irrelevant, when taking into account 192 member countries of the UN which all counter measures which impede rules agreed upon.

As a result, Thailand is more than far from perfect in its agreements to adhere, and yet we do not carry disdain for Thailnd, but its lack of efficiency in attempts to counter what is mentioned in line 2.

I would disagree with most you said..I still call your attitude Disdain towards Thailand and general ignorance of World politics.

First it was the US State Dep't that issued In its annual Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report that Thailand be downgraded to Tier 3, the lowest possible ranking it gives for a country's response to fighting modern-day slavery.... Not the UN.

The World Bank & IMF are controlled by the same people that control Washington....Not the UN.

So whatever comments you are making re. the UN is....really baseless.

Disappointed by the downgrade?

Why now there are smoke and mirrors attempts to show they care about human trafficking and child abuse?

Why nothing was done 25 years ago when Democrats were in power and later with Thaksin and after that with the 2006 coup (same chief as now), Democrats again, YS and back to the military?

It is a situation like the riding of motorcycles on the sidewalks. Because it has been going on forever; it's OK. It's part of Thainess.

The downgrade makes the police and the Junta upset and disappointed.

First phase:sulking.

The next phase will be to come up with lame excuses and blame outside forces of evil.

Lastly they will fall back on being smug and their usual self-absorbed behaviour.

If they way they push their trolleys in supermarkets (going straight while looking to the side until bumping into an unsuspecting shopper) is an indicator of what will happen once they get used to the idea of being in the same basket as Syria and South Korea, we can expect the problem to go on for decades,

• Like 2

When the Thais are told the Truth they can not face this. The world is far from Perfect but Thailand has to catch up with its huge problems across the Board.The Economy is not in a good state and this report will not help Investment in Thailand.