Thai police upset by US human trafficking report

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They rightly should be upset. and equally rightly, ASHAMED!!! Unfortunately, the improvement in performance which has most surprisingly and unexpectedly occurred in the last month does not count.

Ultimately it will if it continues.

I guess when you get a bad grade it is upsetting but that's life.

Except in Thailand where everybody expects good grades as a matter of course.

Unfortunately not every grade can be massaged by donations outside Thailand it seems. Some actually have to be earned.

Must be quite a shock to the system here. whistling.gif

Then again thats why the better off send their kids abroad for an education, the grades actually have to be earned so they are well aware of meaningful standards.

Shouldnt really come as a shock the international community have strict standards to follow, if not this is the result.... Good.its the only message they will understand

Thai police upset? Why? Because when the NCPO goes on with its measures the BiB are going to lose the mega big Baht they make with human trafficking? When so, I could understand them to be 'upset', for the rest, the usual truckload of BS, and not lose face nor take responsibility, move on, nothing to see...

I find there is a general disdain for Thailand by many .. I am guessing Westerners ...that have such a low opinion of Thailand.

That Thailand should object to the rating given by the US government on Human Trafficking...I can guess that most people don't want their country criticized by any foreigner..so that's a natural reaction not just a Thai perspective.

Since over 22 years coming to Thailand & now living here I have never seen or experienced this problem but if others are more a expert on the subject I'd be more interesting in listening.

Since it was the US making the claim it's as if there is no human trafficking done in the US? or in their farming industry done by Latinos?

Just because the US makes standards..and they can because they are the ones linked to any loans etc given by the World Bank & IMF that is affected by the Tier system they can say what they want.

My initial reaction would be the US has destroyed 7 countries in the last 10 years or so & now leading the charge towards World War & Nuclear attacks against Russia & China.

Most of the other Western Countries... including my own are basically Puppets and to me have no right to say anything on any moral high ground.

Is Thailand perfect?.. of course not but where is?..Your home country?

Ah, yes. The he does it too defence, often found in the playground.

I have never heard such a wonderful bit of nonsense like this to try to defend, PEOPLE TRAFFICKING and SLAVERY.

This is not about stubbing your toe, or littering on the streets. This is about PEOPLE SUFFERING.

So, how about this. Irrespective of what America says, can we at least agree that if there is one person working in Thailand under fear or sufference having been enslaved or trafficked, that is one person too many. I don't need the moral high ground to say that do I. Beyond that, as the purchaser of the product, I retain the right to make sure it is supplied to me by people being paid legally, and of the right age to be allowed to work. Is that too much to ask.

My god. Moral equivalency about slavery and people trafficking. What type of discussion is this.

I'm sure there is Human Trafficking in Thailand..especially in the Fishing Industry ..and elsewhere too..

I'm sure there is corruption in Thailand also.

But I am not so naive to think there isn't human trafficking or corruption back in our home countries too..

again I might not see it in Thailand or back home.

But to take the high road as some of the posters have taken towards Thailand are ignoring what's going on back in our home countries.

Take coffee & chocolate..they are produced in slave like conditions so that we can benefit from low prices.

The US has exploited south & central America for years destroying democratically elected governments to install the rich to govern against the will or needs of it's people.

If you are suggesting I am supporting slavery and suffering of people..well in a way we all are if we eat & drink certain foods...just as Thailand has the shrimp industry to promote cheap prices that consumers demand.

But for the US to take the high road doesn't jive...they have caused more suffering by bombing innocent women & children, wrecking economies for years than anyone... in the name of Terrorism &freedom.

Yes you have the right to have a low opinion and disdain for Thailand but I also have the right to counter your whining with who is doing the rating...and who are they to say anything moral as it is also common knowledge that people are trafficked into the US for sex & farm labor

and as much as Thailand is corrupt..

The US is as bad if not worse.

I find there is a general disdain for Thailand by many .. I am guessing Westerners ...that have such a low opinion of Thailand.

That Thailand should object to the rating given by the US government on Human Trafficking...I can guess that most people don't want their country criticized by any foreigner..so that's a natural reaction not just a Thai perspective.

Since over 22 years coming to Thailand & now living here I have never seen or experienced this problem but if others are more a expert on the subject I'd be more interesting in listening.

Since it was the US making the claim it's as if there is no human trafficking done in the US? or in their farming industry done by Latinos?

Just because the US makes standards..and they can because they are the ones linked to any loans etc given by the World Bank & IMF that is affected by the Tier system they can say what they want.

My initial reaction would be the US has destroyed 7 countries in the last 10 years or so & now leading the charge towards World War & Nuclear attacks against Russia & China.

Most of the other Western Countries... including my own are basically Puppets and to me have no right to say anything on any moral high ground.

I have never heard such a wonderful bit of nonsense like this to try to defend, PEOPLE TRAFFICKING and SLAVERY.

This is not about stubbing your toe, or littering on the streets. This is about PEOPLE SUFFERING.

So, how about this. Irrespective of what America says, can we at least agree that if there is one person working in Thailand under fear or sufference having been enslaved or trafficked, that is one person too many. I don't need the moral high ground to say that do I. Beyond that, as the purchaser of the product, I retain the right to make sure it is supplied to me by people being paid legally, and of the right age to be allowed to work. Is that too much to ask.

My god. Moral equivalency about slavery and people trafficking. What type of discussion is this.

I'm sure there is Human Trafficking in Thailand..especially in the Fishing Industry ..and elsewhere too..

But I am not so naive to think there isn't human trafficking or corruption back in our home countries too..

But to take the high road as some of the posters have taken towards Thailand are ignoring what's going on back in our home countries.

Take coffee & chocolate..they are produced in slave like conditions so that we can benefit from low prices.

The US has exploited south & central America for years destroying democratically elected governments to install the rich to govern against the will or needs of it's people.

If you are suggesting I am supporting slavery and suffering of people..well in a way we all are if we eat & drink certain foods...just as Thailand has the shrimp industry to promote cheap prices that consumers demand.

But for the US to take the high road doesn't jive...they have caused more suffering by bombing innocent women & children, wrecking economies for years than anyone... in the name of Terrorism &freedom.

Yes you have the right to have a low opinion and disdain for Thailand but I also have the right to counter your whining with who is doing the rating...and who are they to say anything moral as it is also common knowledge that people are trafficked into the US for sex & farm labor

You see, I don't see this as a competition about comparing the relative levels of slavery or trafficking.

Yes wars cause death and suffering. This isnt' a discussion about the suffering or war. This isn't a dicussion about the rights and wrongs of the actions of the CIA for political gain in South America. This is a very very simple discussion about slavery and people trafficking.

If you note, Fairtrade coffee and cocoa are booming. I would imagine the state department has looked very closely at these markets. If you have first hand knowledge of slavery and trafficking, please give them a ring, I am sure they will be happy to stop it.

And no, consumers don't demand cheap shrimp. Shrimp is sold at a price that allows everyone along the line to make a profit. If that profit doesn't allow for the bloody employees in the chain to be at least paid the legal minimum and have basic legal protections, then the price is TOO LOW.

The buyers are paying the suppliers according to the assumption that they are operating under THAI LAW. If they are using slaves instead of paying their people this is ILLEGAL. Very simple really.

So actually, this has absolutely nothing to do with the USA, and everything to do with Thailland. It is Thais exploiting people to make unfair profit. Just complete and utter greed.

• Like 1

There you go again with the 'disdain for Thailand' malarky, when TaH didn't even remotely refer to such. You sure are an American hater, and in 28 posts not making too many friends here, I'd imagine.

Oh suck it up Thailand. Maybe this is the the kick in the ass you need. But don't just stop with a few children selling roses. If you don't want other governments to criticize you then really do something about it. You had 4 years to do more about it. Don't let it be a sugar rush. Now put your big pants on and take care of the problem that u know you have.

• Like 1

People need to understand that this is a report by the US and no other. The Americans use it for them selfs. If Thailand wants to deal with the Americans then they know what America wants. Same as I get to choose what store I shop at.

It's the video of truth again, watch all the Americans go running from the thread and reappear on the next thread open on the topic, with their self righteous sanctimonious pontification.

You see this is quite interesting, because I worked in an MNC selling agriproduct from Thailand to massive MNCs.

Our policy was precisely as follows.

All farmer families supplying us must insure their children go to school. Children under 16 cannot be employed for farm work by our famers. Children under 16 are allowed to assist their own families out of school hours or in time off.

This was completely acceptable to inernational buyers and in line with Thai law. We used to get the results from the schools to prove attendance of kids to school. Easy Peazy. We managed a supply chain of 24,000 farminng families. If we found kids working on the farm during school hours, it was instant removal from the right to supply to us.

So you see, the issue is not children working on farms, it is about the law, and enforcing the law.

• Like 2

It's the video of truth again, watch all the Americans go running from the thread and reappear on the next thread open on the topic, with their self righteous sanctimonious pontification.

And how much did the first hooker you slept with, when you arrived here, cost?

Narrated and filmed by the Ramos family, is what you displayed. Mexican by birth, or coincidental?

If they stayed in Mexico and gave to their own country, would they be complaining?

No. They ventured to what they knew was hard graft, but better pay.

That was not forced labour, but choice. Tremendously large difference!

And no, I am not American, but keep things in perspective I LIKE THAI. Bet you do!

Well as the Thai Ambassador to the US said:
"... our vigorous, government-wide efforts that yielded unprecedented progress and concrete results"
What efforts? Suing and jailing journalists for defamation? sad.png

Thailand expects to fall into the bottom tier of the watch list on human trafficking. Officials aren’t happy.

Quote from March 23, 2012 - thediplomat.com

Opps sorry, old news but sounded just like today's news wink.png

NCPO: All suspects in lese majeste cases, national security cases, violators of NCPO orders will face court martial

Due to the fluid situation in Thailand and the pressure being placed on the media, Thaivisa will temporarily impose strict limitations on any comments that can be construed as being negative about the imposition of Martial Law or the Coup. Posters will also not be permitted to make references to the royal family.

It is the hope of Thaivisa that this will be a temporary situation. Thaivisa will continue to monitor the situation and it is our wish that in a short while we will be able to less strict in the policy concerning posting. Posts contravening the policy will be removed without notice.

Please exercise extreme care in your posts. The same rules applies to Facebook, Twitter and other social media. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Thaivisa Forum guidelines/rules: http://www.thaivisa....tion=boardrules

Thaivisa Forum Admin

Big Brother is watching YOU.

Then again thats why the better off send their kids abroad for an education, the grades actually have to be earned so they are well aware of meaningful standards.

Well, I went to a private school and sure, my grades had to be earned
but I'm pretty sure, my dad had to earn a lot more for them, then I did.
Eventually, I got them too. Was only a matter of time and money ;-)

Edited by JoeLing

You are right !!! Send them all back to Mexico in order to avoid exploitation by

evil Americans......

I'm an American living in Thailand, married to a Thai, and couldn't AGREE with you more.

Thailand is a nice country to live in... But it is time to look at behind the scene. Subsurface, the reality is less rosy, not to say dirty or even insane. Most people are blinded by the nice appearances. Thais are very strong in beautifying the reality; creativity, marketing. So when they are caught, of course they will deny and reject the statement, claiming that westerners do not understand Thailand. It is true in this specific slavery case, but in so many other aspects in Thailand. The beaches are very nice but the backyard if full of trash (Koh Samet, Samui, Phi Phi just name it...). Drainage sewers hidden under the beaches in most of the country and so on... All this has been caused by decades of corruption, protected industries, lack of controls, standards, education and most of all a complete failed State. Not only the fishery Industry has modern slavery; many other areas. if you dig further in this area, you will also find that most of fishes and shrimps come from farms where tons of chemicals and pesticides are used. All illegal in EU or the US. This is cost to pay your "yummy" shrimps (but also meat, fruits and vegetables) cheap in lovely restaurants across the country. This modern slavery story is only the tip of the iceberg. With only a very few exceptions, the whole food supply chain in Thailand is a huge scam.

Just ask yourself 2 basic questions:

1) Why there are always 2 qualities in all products: the "local" quality and the "export" quality? Simply because the "local" quality products would never pass any sanitary test in the US or EU.

2) Why food is so cheap in Thailand, but still industries making good money? Remember this very simple basic: cheap and good does not exist. There is always a trick. By good I do not mean the taste, but the quality.

Of course, we cannot pretend to have the same standards than in the US or EU (even though it still questionable - but controlled - over there). We do not want to pay the same price. But there is a cost for this. Slavery is one of the cost. Your health is another cost.

The problem with Thailand is that absolutely no progress has been made in the past decade. There is absolutely no common sense and the public interest does not count. Look around you, the only singles "values" that count here are individualism and money. If only there was some standards, force of law, independent tests and controls but there is none, zero; the door is wide opened to all kind of abuses and there are a lot in Thailand.

Having said that, enjoy the country of "smile"

Thailand is a nice country to live in... But it is time to look at behind the scene. Subsurface, the reality is less rosy, not to say dirty or even insane. Most people are blinded by the nice appearances. Thais are very strong in beautifying the reality; creativity, marketing. So when they are caught, of course they will deny and reject the statement, claiming that westerners do not understand Thailand. It is true in this specific slavery case, but in so many other aspects in Thailand. The beaches are very nice but the backyard if full of trash (Koh Samet, Samui, Phi Phi just name it...). Drainage sewers hidden under the beaches in most of the country and so on... All this has been caused by decades of corruption, protected industries, lack of controls, standards, education and most of all a complete failed State. Not only the fishery Industry has modern slavery; many other areas. if you dig further in this area, you will also find that most of fishes and shrimps come from farms where tons of chemicals and pesticides are used. All illegal in EU or the US. This is cost to pay your "yummy" shrimps (but also meat, fruits and vegetables) cheap in lovely restaurants across the country. This modern slavery story is only the tip of the iceberg. With only a very few exceptions, the whole food supply chain in Thailand is a huge scam.

Just ask yourself 2 basic questions:

1) Why there are always 2 qualities in all products: the "local" quality and the "export" quality? Simply because the "local" quality products would never pass any sanitary test in the US or EU.

2) Why food is so cheap in Thailand, but still industries making good money? Remember this very simple basic: cheap and good does not exist. There is always a trick. By good I do not mean the taste, but the quality.

Of course, we cannot pretend to have the same standards than in the US or EU (even though it still questionable - but controlled - over there). We do not want to pay the same price. But there is a cost for this. Slavery is one of the cost. Your health is another cost.

The problem with Thailand is that absolutely no progress has been made in the past decade. There is absolutely no common sense and the public interest does not count. Look around you, the only singles "values" that count here are individualism and money. If only there was some standards, force of law, independent tests and controls but there is none, zero; the door is wide opened to all kind of abuses and there are a lot in Thailand.

Having said that, enjoy the country of "smile"

Utter hogwash...

Thailand is still a 3rd world country....and Yes there are many problems here...as there are everywhere in the World.

I have heard this same theme many times..Thai only want money...Who doesn't?

Everyone wants money..Thai are no different..Yes people get ripped off here...but people get ripped off in every country.

But like all countries the rich keep getting richer & the poor poorer.

Thai are more individualistic than concern for family compared to the West? Next thing you'll be saying they are not as religious as the West either.

Re. Thailand being a failed State I could argue not yet....Democracy here in the last 20 years hasn't been helpful probably & now the military are in power & if the General follows through with his plan maybe Thailand will have a chance to recover.There has been & still a Global downturn in all economies caused not by people too lazy to work but due to the Financial bubble in the US.

Failed states are Iraq,Libya,Syria,Ukraine,Afghanistan and many more because of direct or indirect US involvement.The guise of saving them and giving them a democracy is a joke.

One could argue that the US is a failed State..unemployment at near 25%,house prices falling,infrastructure needs repairing,constant wars in foreign lands,trillions in debt,GMO foods & more

Coming to Thailand as a Westerner and thinking Thai are not the same as us..is true..We are not the same..different culture, different way of thinking... but this is changing with the internet,cell phones and interacting with tourists etc.

I mention the US, ( not that I am anti-American but am anti-Corporations that run Washington bent on World control through violence & bribing other countries leaders for support ), that the US is the one that points it's finger at Thailand saying they are not acceptable on human trafficking but places themselves on the top tier of their own list & ignoring the US's own problems with human trafficking.

Don't believe everything you see on CNN, Fox News or the western media...usually it's 180* off.

One thing I was told many years ago..when you point your finger at someone there are 3 fingers pointing back at yourself.

• Like 1

I guess when you get a bad grade it is upsetting but that's life.

Except in Thailand where everybody expects good grades as a matter of course.

I'm guessing you've been in Thailand for quite some time, the west is heading to the everyone gets good grades system too.

Thai police upset by US human trafficking report

The police is upset...not the Ministry for Foreign Affairs...not the Labor Ministry...not the Commerce Ministry...not the Thai government...

No, it's the Thai Police that is upset. Why?

Because they were found out not to have enforced Thai laws and international laws signed by Thai government.

And because they couldn't find a single farang to blame for this whole trafficking thing, darn it!

Edited by klauskunkel