Chula academic calls for enforcement of Thai traffic laws

webfact

Finally the newspapers are reporting real news again. For a while I thought they were deeply into self-censorship and running still-billy stuff, but now they are coming out of it. About time we learned what an academic thinks about traffic law enforcement, without Big Brother and his thousands of guns preventing publication of stories like this. Truth to power, Nation!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is all fine and dandy there MR> Educator.

But:

1. 60% of all Thais do not know the driving laws.

2. 75% of all thais do not care about the laws.

3. Police in the rural districts do not care about the driving laws.

4. 65% of the police in the rural arears do not obey the laws themselves.

5. So how will you enforce these laws? - which are the same as international laws.

I would seriously consider executing all the current traffic police officers. Their incompetence and laziness has costs Thailand tens of thousands of lives every year. They might deserve the death penalt.

How do you work that out, are you seriously suggesting that police officers are to blame for tens of thousands of deaths (on the roads, presumably) and that they should be executed? You must be nuts.

I take it you do know that road accidents happen in every country in the world, regardless of traffic laws or their enforcement,so by your misguided logic police officers worldwide should be subject to execution whenever there is a fatality on the roads as they are to blame for it.

Good to see that the usual set of racist asshats with nothing in their lives are here to comment on their perceived lack of intelligence among our host country people. Some of you should just <deleted> off and be miserable somewhere else.

Not perceived at all, it was actually proven various studies that the Thai IQ is lower than most of their Western counterparts

http://www.photius.com/rankings/national_iq_scores_country_ranks.html

http://www.statisticbrain.com/countries-with-the-highest-lowest-average-iq/

What you allege was not proven at all. Those figures relate to the average IQ which is meaningless particularly as the "research" for one of your links was 10 years old in 2010 and the other did not even include Thailand on it.

The only time a car would stop is if they actually saw a zebra crossing the road

Having a metal walking stick helps. Held high above the head before you cross.

It bluffs most drivers!

I would seriously consider executing all the current traffic police officers. Their incompetence and laziness has costs Thailand tens of thousands of lives every year. They might deserve the death penalt.

How do you work that out, are you seriously suggesting that police officers are to blame for tens of thousands of deaths (on the roads, presumably) and that they should be executed? You must be nuts.

I take it you do know that road accidents happen in every country in the world, regardless of traffic laws or their enforcement,so by your misguided logic police officers worldwide should be subject to execution whenever there is a fatality on the roads as they are to blame for it.

BUT, not 500 A WEEK!

I firmly believe that if the police did real policing, drivers might be much more aware of their obligations.

Step 1: Enforcement of traffic laws.

This step just makes sense. This includes discipline from all motorists.

Step 2: Review of traffic laws.

I believe some laws needs to be updated.

Example 1, motorcycles need to stay on the left lane and off the bridges.... I believe my road tax applies to all lanes, including bridges? If not, then those cars needs to stay off the motorcycle lanes.

Example 2, updated traffic fines.

Do you pay the same 'road tax' as a car owner does?

But:

5. So how will you enforce these laws? - which are the same as international laws.

Your daft percentages are wildly inaccurate

Amazing! It took a Thai political scientist to come to the startling revelation that ENFORCING traffic laws would be a good thing. What a novel idea! Just imagine for a minute what a great idea it would be to not only have traffic laws and then to have drivers take a test to show that they understand the laws BUT, taking it to the extreme of ENFORCING the laws. WOW! ! ! !

Generations to come will write their Phd dissertations on the abstract theory of enforcing laws.

As my nickname says, I travel a lot.

Have been to almost 100 countries.

By far, is Thailand the worst offender in this regards.

Never any other place (maybe some city here and there), is the total disregard for the traffic regulations so universal, as it is in Thailand.

Never been to Vietnam then ?

He did actually say (maybe some city here and there), but i agree Vietnam is worse than Thailand, at least the parts I have been Edited by HuaHinHim

But:

Your daft percentages are wildly inaccurate

I agree, they should all be 100%

As long as the fines are lower than the minimum daily income (300B), nobody will care.

Outside BKK 200B is the fine for everything. And this is the official fine.

Usually the police accepts 50B.

In Europe, when I cross the right light, it costs me 3 days work (as an engineer) - in Thailand it costs half of the daily income of a toilet cleaner.

In Europe, there 80% chance I get caught when crossing the red light. In Thailand there's 0.001% chance.

The 2 big problems are a almost totally corrupt police force and very low fines.

This man from Chula is 100% right. Laws should be enforced, else they are meaningless.

But with the current police force there's no hope at all for improvement.

Edited by kriswillems

Amazing! It took a Thai political scientist to come to the startling revelation that ENFORCING traffic laws would be a good thing. What a novel idea! Just imagine for a minute what a great idea it would be to not only have traffic laws and then to have drivers take a test to show that they understand the laws BUT, taking it to the extreme of ENFORCING the laws. WOW! ! ! !

Generations to come will write their Phd dissertations on the abstract theory of enforcing laws.

They will also bestow unto him some affectionate name like father traffic (pee trafik) and erect a bust of him at Chula. Teachers will tell of his unique and radical contributions to Thai society. Then they will also sit around and marvel in silence in their Thainess.

Everyday many motorists/motorbike idiots stop at the front of the traffic at a junction,dont look at lights, they look at the traffic in other directions and make their own mind up when to "move out" consequently there is a lot of swerving,near misses and accidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kingalfred

love his philosophy , however there is 90 per cent of Thailand that could not give a shit, we all know it so why waste my time saying it.

I think it would be really nice if we TVS members say for one month a year only commented on what we love about Thailand as opposed to what we hate, we all know the shit that goes on here but we still choose to live here. there is a lot more to Thailand than screwing young chicks though my partner is half my age.

Love the food and many other things inc my gfs family ( sober hard working people ) constantly weighed down by poverty ( all factory workers in BKK ) not trying to start a new thread just had to say it.

love his philosophy , however there is 90 per cent of Thailand that could not give a shit, we all know it so why waste my time saying it.

I think it would be really nice if we TVS members say for one month a year only commented on what we love about Thailand as opposed to what we hate, we all know the shit that goes on here but we still choose to live here. there is a lot more to Thailand than screwing young chicks though my partner is half my age.

Love the food and many other things inc my gfs family ( sober hard working people ) constantly weighed down by poverty ( all factory workers in BKK ) not trying to start a new thread just had to say it.

Right.

I imagine the thread in that most positive month would look something like

P@ssy

Girls

Food

Weather

Weather

P@ssy

Cheap

Girls

Legs

P@ssy

Food

Food

Food

Food

P@ssy

Temples (just kidding)

As my nickname says, I travel a lot.

Have been to almost 100 countries.

By far, is Thailand the worst offender in this regards.

Never any other place (maybe some city here and there), is the total disregard for the traffic regulations so universal, as it is in Thailand.

Thailand is ranked 2nd out of 193 countries where you are most likely to die in a car accident despite repeated efforts in recent years to improve the road safety.

http://www.thailandee.com/blog/en/index.php/1207-thailand-second-most-dangerous-country-in-the-world-to-drive

The only time a car would stop is if they actually saw a zebra crossing the road

That's making an assumption that they are actually paying attention to the road and not the destination.

Or their iPhone, iPad or anything else utterly unconnected with driving a car ...

Traveling with a thai buddy one day I asked him why they have lines on the road in Thailand, he looked at me confused after travelling the whole way to our destination straddling the centre line as he new oncoming traffic would yield to the side of the road!

The reason they have Zebra crossings in Thailand

......it is the land of copy!

yes, have to agrree, make people not only able to answer the driving questions correctly but then make them all have to adhere to them as well, somehow I doubt it will happen. With all the excuses not to have to do so it is impossible, my truck is bigger, newer than yours, I am rich, my number plates are better, I want to go that direction not the one the lane goes, I am in a hurry, I dont use mirrors other than to look at my complexion, you should have read my mind because I dont indicate, I flashed my headlights so I can use your side of the road, I was on the phone, I am more important than you, I dont know how to stop, I needed to double park because I wanted to buy something without having to walk more than 10', didnt want to turn on my lights because of the ghosts/it uses more power/petrol and the best one, I can do whatever I want because I am thai.

How very true. If traffic laws were ENFORCED regularly and the offenders "hit in the ass" with a BIG fine behavior would change. But an inept policing force exists in Lack of Sanctions so.... please watch out for IDIOT driving habits - for sure.

I drive to KK regularly, a/b 70-90 K one way. It's exhausting so many dangerous situations as you've eluded to.

Thanks.

I enjoy throwing a wrench into Thai expectations by first checking my rear view mirror, and then stopping for people in the zebra crossings and even the ones without lights. The reaction goes something like this: First, complete confusion; then a combination of 'deer in the headlights' look and incredulity; finally as the person or people grasp that I will actually stop, smiles bloom and small bows as they proceed. One older Thai woman got right in front of the car, turned to face me and gave me a very deep wai and then proceeded.

This tells me that some Thais do, in fact, know and appreciate polite behavior as well as just polite words. I would put forth the theory that if all Thais behaved as politely as they speak, it could make a big difference. Just think what would happen if those millions of "Kraps" said everyday were matched by similar actions and what people DID. Thailand would truly be the land of smiles.

Edited by Balance
  • Like 1

I enjoy throwing a wrench into Thai expectations by first checking my rear view mirror, and then stopping for people in the zebra crossings and even the ones without lights. The reaction goes something like this: First, complete confusion; then a combination of 'deer in the headlights' look and incredulity; finally as the person or people grasp that I will actually stop, smiles bloom and small bows as they proceed. One older Thai woman got right in front of the car, turned to face me and gave me a very deep wai and then proceeded.

This tells me that some Thais do, in fact, know and appreciate polite behavior as well as just polite words. I would put forth the theory that if all Thais behaved as politely as they speak, it could make a big difference. Just think what would happen if those millions of "Kraps" said everyday were matched by similar actions and what people DID. Thailand would truly be the land of smiles.

meanwhile the car behind expects you to NOT stop and rams u up the ar*e............not saying they are right but it might happen

Enforcing the traffic laws in Thailand would be a good start.

What about enforcement of all the other laws here ?.

Anybody can issue a law on paper, it takes real Police and a Justice System that is not corrupt to enforce it.

More trying to save " face " in the eyes of the Thai Authorities, with Thailand under severe scrutiny from the developed world because of what is persieved by them as a lawless, and corrupt society and country.

meanwhile the car behind expects you to NOT stop and rams u up the ar*e............not saying they are right but it might happen

That is exactly why I check the rear mirror to make sure. I am more concerned with someone passing me and hitting the people crossing.

yes, have to agrree, make people not only able to answer the driving questions correctly but then make them all have to adhere to them as well, somehow I doubt it will happen. With all the excuses not to have to do so it is impossible, my truck is bigger, newer than yours, I am rich, my number plates are better, I want to go that direction not the one the lane goes, I am in a hurry, I dont use mirrors other than to look at my complexion, you should have read my mind because I dont indicate, I flashed my headlights so I can use your side of the road, I was on the phone, I am more important than you, I dont know how to stop, I needed to double park because I wanted to buy something without having to walk more than 10', didnt want to turn on my lights because of the ghosts/it uses more power/petrol and the best one, I can do whatever I want because I am thai.

Mate,you have hit the nail on the head,laziness,ignorance and a total disregard for others,the three things most Thai drivers have in common.

It's not just the drivers ...

Edited by Mister Fixit