cataract surgery

maccraw

I need cataract surgery--limited funds--I got a qoute from a private clinic--50,000 for one eye.

I then went to a Government hospital--hard work but I thought it would be less expensive. The quote was 70 to 80,000 for one eye! I am in the Pattaya area and would welcome any input. Thanks.

I understand you are a new member, but there are several threads in the health forum discussing this issue in depth. I recently had cataract surgery, but not in Pattaya. Government hospitals should be around 50-60k. There was one thread with a recent sale price of 30k at a private hospital. use the search function. Again, it depends on the type of IOL (lens) you have replaced as to the cost somewhat too.

As said a government hospital should be a lot less than 50k for normal lens. But if you buy the multi focal types it will be considerably more expensive anywhere. My Thai wife had both eyes done at 35k each all inclusive at private hospital (Vejthani) here in Bangkok last year and government hospital would have been much less. But first quote/guess was much higher and included the higher priced lens. As insurance does not pay for this type lens chose normal single focus and corrective glasses for reading.

For most there is no hospital stay required - it is normally an outpatient procedure done in less than 30 minutes - but may take an hour or two getting eye dilated prior to operation. You are normally free to leave immediately after operation. But have seen report of a government hospital having stay prior night and night of operation so might be a stay involved.

I was in Khon Kaen Ram a month or so ago and they were having a "sell" 20,000 each eye. Not sure if that includes hospital stay time.

That's really an incredible bargain, especially considering that the doctor performing it would likely be one of the excellent teaching doctors from the staff at Srinarkarind, as they moonlight there. However, I would check which doctor would do it first. I wonder if they even send the patient up to the University hospital for the procedure?