Thailand Tourism Confidence Index dips to lowest level

webfact

So what is the truth. One day truism is good and another day miserable. these guys really have no clue what is going on

There is a big difference between a quarter and 7 days.

Also let us not forget this is the low season.

The junta has only been in power for a month and at first the hysteria was understandable. In the month it has shown to be a benefit to the peace and security here in Thailand.

That is not saying it was all that bad before the junta took over. It was far safer in Thailand than many cities in the countries that are condemning the junta even though they made it safer in the few areas that were above average for violence. Well let us say way above average at the rallies where there was the red shirts throwing bombs and shooting people indiscriminately also beating up old monks who needed a cane to get around.

Travel agents are aware of the reality far more than governments who are blinded by their self righteousness.

So what is the truth. One day truism is good and another day miserable. these guys really have no clue what is going on

There is a big difference between a quarter and 7 days.

Also let us not forget this is the low season.

The junta has only been in power for a month and at first the hysteria was understandable. In the month it has shown to be a benefit to the peace and security here in Thailand.

That is not saying it was all that bad before the junta took over. It was far safer in Thailand than many cities in the countries that are condemning the junta even though they made it safer in the few areas that were above average for violence. Well let us say way above average at the rallies where there was the red shirts throwing bombs and shooting people indiscriminately also beating up old monks who needed a cane to get around.

Travel agents are aware of the reality far more than governments who are blinded by their self righteousness.

"safer in Thailand"?????

Remind me, please: how many people are killed on the roads in Thailand every year....

For this reason, the council is coordinating with the Tourism and Sports Ministry in holding more talks with EU representatives to let them better understand Thailand’s political situation.

Might be a bit hard when they are now barred from coming here whistling.gif

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-junta-disappointed/1195754.html

With the press Thailand is currently receiveing in Europe rest assured there will be no dramatic improvement anytime soon in numbers.

Yes apparently the EU would prefer the political turmoil and killing to peace.

Well actually no, that is not what they prefer, that's your interpretation of what they prefer. What the EU actually wants is this;

It called on the military leadership to restore, as a matter of urgency, the legitimate democratic process and the Constitution, through credible and inclusive elections. The Council also called on all parties to exercise the utmost restraint. Respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms must be upheld. Furthermore the Council urged military authorities to free all political detainees, to refrain from any further arrests for political reasons and to remove censorship.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

fab4, on 25 Jun 2014 - 12:24, said:
northernjohn, on 25 Jun 2014 - 11:27, said:
tullynagardy, on 24 Jun 2014 - 17:16, said:
QuoteFor this reason, the council is coordinating with the Tourism and Sports Ministry in holding more talks with EU representatives to let them better understand Thailand’s political situation.

Might be a bit hard when they are now barred from coming here alt=whistling.gif>

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-junta-disappointed/1195754.html

With the press Thailand is currently receiveing in Europe rest assured there will be no dramatic improvement anytime soon in numbers.

Well actually no, that is not what they prefer, that's your interpretation of what they prefer. What the EU actually wants is this;

It called on the military leadership to restore, as a matter of urgency, the legitimate democratic process and the Constitution, through credible and inclusive elections. The Council also called on all parties to exercise the utmost restraint. Respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms must be upheld. Furthermore the Council urged military authorities to free all political detainees, to refrain from any further arrests for political reasons and to remove censorship.

So ultimately you want a government which was anything but democratic on numerous fronts?

Is that what you really want?

Edited by scorecard

Seeing soldiers with flak jackets, radios, and automatic rifles is not very confidence boosting...

No more killings of children and peaceful protestors since the army took over (with flak jackets, radios, and automatic rifles).

Isn't that confidence boosting?

Hmmmm, there are other issues but cannot be discussed here. I guess that is quite telling about what is happening in this country. Just read all of the warnings TVF moderators have made. I have to agree that deaths during the protests were very unfortunate and am glad this has stopped. The problem is the Military will not be there forever and will have to yield authority to civilian rule albeit with them looking over the politicians' shoulders. What happens then?

Seeing soldiers with flak jackets, radios, and automatic rifles is not very confidence boosting...

No more killings of children and peaceful protestors since the army took over (with flak jackets, radios, and automatic rifles).

Isn't that confidence boosting?

The military has done more for this country in the past 4 weeks than the government did the entire term they were in power. I say Thailand is much better off and the military are getting things done. Pity it wasn't this simple for the government or they just might still be in now (then again they had no idea what the hell they were doing except lining their pockets). Lets hope things continue to get better and this encourages tourism to again flourish.

• Like 2

I chatted with some of my German hotel guests just now who had been visiting Phi-Phi islands. I assumed that the islands would still be very busy with tourists.

Apparently not so. The 20-room, beach-front hotel was running at about 20% occupancy. That was a surprise to me.

Why would you assume the islands would be very busy with tourists in the low season?

So ultimately you want a government which was anything but democratic on numerous fronts?

Is that what you really want?

What is it with you people and comprehension of the English language? Did I mention that I wanted "a government which was anything but democratic on numerous fronts" ? No, I didn't.

Is this thread about what I want, or even what you think I want? No, it's not, so we'll leave it there shall we.

Yes quit while you are not to far behind.

The EU wants a government that will create political turmoil that will result in people being killed. You know I know and they know that is exactly what would happen if the army called for an election tomorrow. Yet they still want an immediate election knowing full well the results. It wouldn't matter who won it the results would be the same. = the EU the political turmoil and killing to continue.

They can want all those other things but they know that civil unrest would be the result of an election. Knowing the results how can you agree with them?

Or are you saying they are stupid and had no idea of what was going on before the army put an end to it and brought peace to the nation.

Still seems to be fair number of confidence men and women operating here, some are even on tourist visas, so I don't quite understand. They can talk with all the ministers in EU they want (and get to go on nice junket to boot!). But the "boots on the ground" tourists make up their own minds to come or not.

I agree the con men are still here but this is low season. In one month they were put on the travel alert of many nations. After a month many of them took them off the list.

It is still low season so we really don't know what it will do to the tourist industry. Wait until high season. In the mean time we will have a much better idea if the army is for real. Right now they are the answer to a dream. I saw one article saying they even had 60% approval in the Northeastern region. Mind you I take Thai poll's with a grain of sand.

High season will be the telling point for tourism.

After thinking it over I have come to the conclusion that certain posters here want them out now before they stop to much corruption. I wonder why?

I was waved to the roadside at a checkpoint today..it was manned by MiB & Army personel..My pick-up has a lid on the bed, I was loaded with rice so the truck sat low..hence the pull.

I was treated in such a polite manner by the Army..when I lifted the lid to expose the contents I was filmed doing so..then after they were happy, lid locked-down again.. my wife asked why the need for a video..?

The answer came back "Just in case policeman try to put something in"..!

No tea-money asked for, the officer in charge stepped forward, shook my hand & wished me a safe journey..

..What a refreshing change from "You drive in fast lane..400B" "You Falang, 500B" "Stay there 1hour..or give me 400B".

I may regret these words later-on who knows..? But give me the military running the show over corrupt MiB anyday.

• Like 1