Thaksin aide jailed for rice fraud

Lite Beer

the message the 'establishment' is sending to the Thai people, especially the more affluent ones that may run with the PhuaThai party, is that if you support the PhuaThai, you will likly be prosecuted on bogus 'corruption' charges, whereas the dictatorships flagship party 'the democrats' will never face 'corruption' charges so you will be punished by biased courts if you go PhuaThai, and rewarded if you go Democrat. They think this intimidation and possibly a new undemocratic constitution will force the collapse of the PhuaThai and boost the 'democrats'

Everything else has failed to prevent the PhuaThai from winning elections an this will likly also fail.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will be the first of many many people to face justice for their part in

the rice scam. I never thought this day would come, I am happy beyond words.

Prayuth has done more for this country in one month than the " leaders"

have done in twenty years .But I guess when all your time is spent in

figuring out new ways to loot money from the government, must not be

a lot of time left over in help improve the lives of the common people...

Next up ??? The big fish, Yingluck.... Too bad Thaksin is beyond

the reach of the Thai courts, as I believe he is the one that set the

whole scam up.

I have this question: why is that verdict the result of Prayuths activities? Did the police investigation and then the prosecution start immediately after he "took over"? I am assuming that a crime of this proportion needs quite a bit of investigation and the preparation of the prosecution is not done in 30 minutes (at least when it is supposed to meet certain standards of justice). Furthermore the Thai courts have not been known for being fond of Thaksin, have they? So, Prayuth successful?

You raise an interesting question. Hard to say where the hand of Prayuth reaches. But I do know

the progress against corruption in the last month while he has been in power has been nothing short of astonishing . Maybe with him in power, all the cases that have sort of simmering on the back burner due to fear of the reach of Thaksin, have been brought to a boil. So for 6 years nothing happens, and with Prayuth in power suddenly this case is solved....Go figure.

Agreed. The case could have been held back to be presented at a "more suitable" time. So, indirectly it might be Prayuths doing.

Held back for a more suitable time? Really? The guy embezzled the rice in 2007!!

How on earth did he think he'd get away with this? Dumber than a sack of rocks.

That is why this story does not make any sense. There must be more to it that we are not being told.

Another report in this morning's BP says he received three years, and out on 700k bail, allowing him to appeal. However, it was also reported he must return the rice OR 175 million together with 200 million damages. And if he doesn't?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would like to believe he will be the first of many prosecuted for rice fraud? but one is better than none!

The Yingluck government guaranteed a price to the Thai rice farmers and dodgy dealings in administering the scheme led to what is now commonly known as the rice fraud. I suggest that non-exports to Iran are nothing to do with the rice fraud. Does anyone really believe this crook will spend 6 years in jail? THB12,000 fine is hardly a punishment.

6 years and 12000 baht, bit on the light side financially, should have cleaned out his bank account but at least he was given jail. Lets hope this continues to all the other scammers that the ptp allowed to get away.

I'd like to go and visit in him jail. Which one is it again?

No need to look for his jail, apparently he is out on bail . Thai justice is a bit confusing to

me. In the real world, if you are charged with a crime, you post bail and fight the charges.

When you are found guilty, you go straight from the courthouse in your orange jumpsuit

to jail. Maybe even Prayuth cannot break the system here where the elites never really

go to jail..... No wonder they have no fear of breaking the law.

Even in the land of harsh justice the US you can be out on bail during appeal

Provided one is not a flight risk. With the amount of money he has and the fact his old mate has flown the coup, I would put this guy in the flight risk category. And I just want to see at least one picture of him in the monkey house.

• Like 1

the message the 'establishment' is sending to the Thai people, especially the more affluent ones that may run with the PhuaThai party, is that if you support the PhuaThai, you will likly be prosecuted on bogus 'corruption' charges, whereas the dictatorships flagship party 'the democrats' will never face 'corruption' charges so you will be punished by biased courts if you go PhuaThai, and rewarded if you go Democrat. They think this intimidation and possibly a new undemocratic constitution will force the collapse of the PhuaThai and boost the 'democrats'

Everything else has failed to prevent the PhuaThai from winning elections an this will likly also fail.

Of course, how dumb have I been.

You run with PTP you get punished with a piddlingly small fine and are out on appeal, never to serve a day.

How can this this oppression of hard working criminals be allowed to continue.

(sarc)

• Like 1

What a load of tosh! This guy committed fraud and even the ptp administration recognized that. Read the articles and see who initiated the prosecution.

Your claim that all actions against fraudsters who are part of or support ptp are bogus are without any rationality, logic or truth. Bit like the policies of those you support.

• Like 1

Easy. In typical Thai style, he cannot see two feet days in front of his face. Thinking he would be under the protection of PTP for the rest of his living days. Yes, dumber than a sack of rocks.

Agree with you Blue. But it raises some interesting questions. I doubt if he was that dumb, but he obviously thought he could move the rice easily. So question, what other bigger fish have been doing the same thing. Maybe the light sentence is a judicial ploy to draw some others out ? Or maybe I'm just into conspiracy theories today ? Whatever, this is a real milestone and I hope there are many more judgments to come.

There are still some people unable to separate this case, which was about a fraudulent activity that took place in 2007 to that of the Now defunct Rice scheme.

It was NOTHING to do with the now defunct Yingluck scheme, but hey, don't let your coloured blinkers prevent you from jumping to conclusions.

The rhetoric shown by some TVF members goes against the "reconciliation" of the country, and yet they expect the Thai's to hug each other and sing Kumbayayh over a camp fire roasting marshmallows and set aside their differences?? whistling.gif

• Like 1

Made a deal with Iran and then sold it to another country?

Pretty damned dumb and six years and THB12000 fine seems very light.

Stupidity alone should qualify for 10 years + a fine in the millions? what am I missing?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

His pockets were not deep enough to prolong the court case? What was he thinking, I will just sell a couple of bags of rice to friends, and it just got out of hand? Or is this type of corruption so entwined in middle class and the elite that some believe they are untouchables?

Well said. wai.gif

All cosmetic smoke and mirrors.

Corruption is a part of people's mindset here in Thailand and it is taught in schools from primary school to university.

Red shirt, Yellow shirt, Army.

It will make no difference.

Its endemic!

A quality education is the privileged of the empowered elite.The masses do not have access to a decent standard of education, and are socially prevented from benefiting from any meaningful advancement. When will an educated population (an informed electorate), be in the best interests of the powers that be ? Perhaps when the centrally controlled system finds itself falling behind Burma and Vietnam.

• Like 1

There are still some people unable to separate this case, which was about a fraudulent activity that took place in 2007 to that of the Now defunct Rice scheme.

It was NOTHING to do with the now defunct Yingluck scheme, but hey, don't let your coloured blinkers prevent you from jumping to conclusions.

The rhetoric shown by some TVF members goes against the "reconciliation" of the country, and yet they expect the Thai's to hug each other and sing Kumbayayh over a camp fire roasting marshmallows and set aside their differences?? whistling.gif

You raise a great point. So if rice scamming was occurring in 2007, that is interesting

because I was here in 2007, and to the best of my memory the I never ever saw the words

rice scam in the media. Meaning whatever was happening then, it was the tiniest fraction of

what has happened recently with the massive rice scam. So extrapolating forward, that means

there will be lot of rats to be caught !!!!

Regarding rhetoric, as you reap so shall you sow. Thaksin, Yingluck and the PTP have nearly

brought Thailand to the brink of ruin with corruption, nepotism, and cronyism at levels that were almost unthinkable previously . So to skewer them, and show them for what they are, will help with reconciliation. Wait a minute, perhaps the reconciliation you are thinking of is the amnesty bill Yingluck / PTP tried to ram through in the middle of the night pardoning the PTP members for corruption ? That one ?

• Like 2

6 years and 12000 baht, bit on the light side financially, should have cleaned out his bank account but at least he was given jail. Lets hope this continues to all the other scammers that the ptp allowed to get away.

I'd like to go and visit in him jail. Which one is it again?

No need to look for his jail, apparently he is out on bail . Thai justice is a bit confusing to

me. In the real world, if you are charged with a crime, you post bail and fight the charges.

When you are found guilty, you go straight from the courthouse in your orange jumpsuit

to jail. Maybe even Prayuth cannot break the system here where the elites never really

go to jail..... No wonder they have no fear of breaking the law.

Even in the land of harsh justice the US you can be out on bail during appeal

Not a certainty. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's not automatic, esp. if you're a repeat offender.

So you're saying this conviction and the jail sentence are "bogus"? You're claiming he's actually innocent? What's your source?

Or are you saying that no one with a PTP affiliation can or should ever be prosecuted, because it sends "this message"?

Or are you just plain blowing (red) smoke???

whole scam up.

Guild by association is a crime. WOW ? I do not have much love for Yingluck or her brother but how can you hang someone before there is a court hearing. I am sure glad blokes like you are not on my jury.

whole scam up.

Guild by association is a crime. WOW ? I do not have much love for Yingluck or her brother but how can you hang someone before there is a court hearing. I am sure glad blokes like you are not on my jury.

This guy was found guilty... As far as anybody can tell, there are hundreds of billions of baht missing. The farmers certainly did not have this money, as they are committing suicide and going into debt with money lenders...Yingluck was head of the rice commission, and it was Thaksin who crafted the program. I am a really big believer in where there is smoke there is fire, so now just a matter of time before Yingluck is grilled on her role in this matter.

From the OP.

"The Samut Prakarn provincial court Tuesday sentenced a close aide to ex-pm Thaksin Shinawatra to six years in jail and fined him Bt12,000 after finding him guilty of embezzlement and fraud for his failure to deliver a Bt200-million rice shipment to Iran."

whole scam up.

And the topic of the thread is:

whole scam up.

This guy was found guilty... As far as anybody can tell, there are hundreds of billions of baht missing. The farmers certainly did not have this money, as they are committing suicide and going into debt with money lenders...Yingluck was head of the rice commission, and it was Thaksin who crafted the program. I am a really big believer in where there is smoke there is fire, so now just a matter of time before Yingluck is grilled on her role in this matter.

From the OP.

"The Samut Prakarn provincial court Tuesday sentenced a close aide to ex-pm Thaksin Shinawatra to six years in jail and fined him Bt12,000 after finding him guilty of embezzlement and fraud for his failure to deliver a Bt200-million rice shipment to Iran."

This is what "genius" Thaksin had to say when playing with taxpayers' money in Sep 24, 2012

--“If we manipulate the mechanism for two years, three years, then things will be moving naturally,” Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and has lived overseas since fleeing a 2008 jail sentence, said in Singapore today. “The rice price in the world market is increasing.”

--“We do not just throw away the money,” Thaksin said. The program will lead to higher government revenue through the sale of stockpiled grain, increased local consumption and will help cushion Thailand from the effects of the European debt crisis, he said. “The domestic economy in Thailand accounts for only 30 percent of GDP growth but now is increasing because people have the purchasing power.”

--“I don’t think we have much because we keep selling,” he said, referring to the rice stockpile next year.

--“Please sympathize with them,” Thaksin said of the farmers. “They are poor. Let them have a chance to survive in this world, to live a better life.”

Meanwhile, Thaksin's buddy embezzled THB 200,000,000 from the scheme. Many investigations are ongoing and I expect more positive news soon. I still would like to know if the 2.9 million tons of missing rice has been found.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-24/thai-rice-policy-should-stay-several-more-years-thaksin-says.html

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 2

This verse from a Bob Dylan song seems appropriate

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'

Edited by Tanlic
  • Like 1

You raise a great point. So if rice scamming was occurring in 2007, that is interesting

because I was here in 2007, and to the best of my memory the I never ever saw the words

rice scam in the media. Meaning whatever was happening then, it was the tiniest fraction of

what has happened recently with the massive rice scam. So extrapolating forward, that means

there will be lot of rats to be caught !!!!

Regarding rhetoric, as you reap so shall you sow. Thaksin, Yingluck and the PTP have nearly

brought Thailand to the brink of ruin with corruption, nepotism, and cronyism at levels that were almost unthinkable previously . So to skewer them, and show them for what they are, will help with reconciliation. Wait a minute, perhaps the reconciliation you are thinking of is the amnesty bill Yingluck / PTP tried to ram through in the middle of the night pardoning the PTP members for corruption ? That one ?

Oh, so nepotism, cronyism and corruption are the monopoly of just the PTP then? Seriously sir, all sides and that includes the Military have these very same issues, the brink of ruin ? A bit melodramatic is it not? I have no problems pursuing those who are corrupt or participated in corruption, but we both know, the focus is to pursue the Thaksin supporting people first, me? I'd like to see the guilty on BOTH sides, and that includes motormouth Suthep facing the same level of vigour.

Reconciliation as the one coming from the Generals camp ;) you're another one who can't seem to focus on the future, and have difficulty in letting go of the past. I don't know much about the Amnesty bill, but from what I can gather it was passed by the house, that was on both sides, it was the last minute change that the Democrats said would not be in the peoples interests, making a reference to Thaksin being able to return. The Bill was then killed off, it didn't happen, it's almost like saying " we nearly won the cup" when you still lost the game.

There are thousands of Thai businessmen and women out there on both sides of the fence, who have been involved in corruption and corrupt deals, lets not be selective, and lets see the lot of them punished, whether is be from rice, fruit, palm oil,construction or textile industry, pursue the cancer of corruption across the board.

• Like 1

whole scam up.

Guilt by association. Lol. Yeah, association with a crime!!! (Not meaning to suggest only one...)

(And actually, conspiracy to commit a crime, IS itself a crime, as is being an accessory, before OR after the fact...)

@RealE: Your jury? What'd they get you for?

Edited by hawker9000

whole scam up.

Surely the title is misleading?

Should it not be "former aide, to former premier" ? " Aide is a term used in present terms, is he currently an aide if that were the case, then all the appointed persons whom were in senior positions such as Chalerm and co would also be classed as "Aides"