Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rates globally

bluesofa

How do they know what the unemployment rate is?

8th time I posted the link. http://web.nso.go.th/ The unemployment rate is figured in Thailand the same way it is figured in the USA and Australia and by the same method.

Very interesting. However the US has a benefits system for the unemployed where Thailand has none. There is therefore much more likliehood if people registering for work if unemployed in the US and practically no incentive to do so in Thailand so the figures are pretty much fiction to my way of thinking. If Thailand were suddenly to offer unemployment benefits you might find the numbers instantly and exponentially changing

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thailiketoo

Due to illegal immigration, the Governments of the UK & USA and probably Thailand, could not give you an accurate figure on respective population size.

So there is absolutely no chance, that they could give you an accurate unemployment rate, regardless of how it is measured.

thailiketoo

You do not need to say it again, I hear you. I just do not happen to agree with you.

Take a chill pill, no need to have a coronary over Government figures, they all lie.

You are quoting an urban myth. Government figures don't all lie. I am not having a coronary I just don't like to see lies in print with no back up. Thai Visa at times seems to me as one big stereotypic festival.

I give you method and mathematical explanations of how unemployment statistics have been figured in the USA since 1940. You disagree. OK give me some evidence. Or if you are an expert give your credentials. Hearsay or the opinions of the majority of the boys at the pub is not evidence that government figures lie.

Lets say it's a poker game. You bluffed and you have been called. Now it's time to show your cards.

Edited by thailiketoo

Urban myth. Deary deary me. How stupid of me, of course Governments do not lie. Especially the UK and US Governments. giggle.gifgiggle.gif

If I could be @rsed I would provide you with a list as long as the Great Wall of China, of lies. Sorry, episodes of being economical with the truth.

But as the OP was comparing Thailand and the UK. The easiest way to show you the deception employed in the UK Government. Unemployment figures are based on those claiming JSA ( Just over 2m ) This can only be claimed for a certain period of time. At the end of that period, claimants are then moved onto other benefits, which are not included in the unemployment figures.

The unemployment figures also do not show a whole raft of others, who are not employed, but do not come under the unemployment figures.

Smoke and mirrors, a tactic employed by all Governments, in one form or another.

Urban myth. Deary deary me. How stupid of me, of course Governments do not lie. Especially the UK and US Governments. giggle.gifgiggle.gif

If I could be @rsed I would provide you with a list as long as the Great Wall of China, of lies. Sorry, episodes of being economical with the truth.

But as the OP was comparing Thailand and the UK. The easiest way to show you the deception employed in the UK Government. Unemployment figures are based on those claiming JSA ( Just over 2m ) This can only be claimed for a certain period of time. At the end of that period, claimants are then moved onto other benefits, which are not included in the unemployment figures.

The unemployment figures also do not show a whole raft of others, who are not employed, but do not come under the unemployment figures.

Smoke and mirrors, a tactic employed by all Governments, in one form or another.

UK

http://www.economicshelp.org/macroeconomics/unemployment/measuring_unemployment/

The Labour Force Survey method

The Labour Force survey asks 60,000 people whether they are unemployed and whether they are looking for a job.

• It includes some people not eligible for JSA.
  • Good for international comparisons

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/hub/index.html

Of course when you use Government sponsored websites and surveys, they are going to be the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Especially when it states.

"

• The governmentt has often changed the criteria (30 times since 1979) for those who are eligible for benefits, usually this has been to reduce the claimant count. This makes it difficult to compare over time.
  • The claimant count excludes:
    • People over pension age, who will typically claim pensions rather than JSA
    • People under 18, (with a few exceptions)
    • People in full time education, who may still be classed as unemployed.
    • People not eligible for contribution based JSA. To claim the contributions based JSA they need to have paid at least two years of NI contributions.
    • Also, their level of savings or their partner’s income may be too high to be eligible.
    • Any one on a government training schemes,
    • Some people may not claim JSA even when they are eligible to.
    • Married women looking to return to work
    • Those looking for part time work and not full time work "

Spin it anyway, dress it up however you like. It is all smoke and mirrors.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

thailiketoo

As I said in my original post on the subject.

Whatever method is used, the figures will be manipulated to suit a particular Governments agenda.

To use the survey method, there is 8 Falang / Thai couples in my Soi. Out of that 8, 1 Thai is employed.

Kinda screws the 0,7% theory.

The OP.

Reading a news article today in which it mentions Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rates globally.

Thailand is listed as the fourth lowest at 0.7%. Compare that to the UK for example, which has around 6-7% unemployment, depending on which sources you use. I used wiki and also the CIA factbook as my source (figures listed for 2013/4).

The reason why I used the UK as it has a reasonably similar population and land size to Thailand.

What isn't clear though is if the figures are compiled on the same basis. Thailand's figures are listed as supplied by the National Statistical Office Of Thailand. The UK figures come from BBC news.

Edited by thailiketoo

thailiketoo

Whatever method is used, the figures will be manipulated to suit a particular Governments agenda.

To use the survey method, there is 8 Falang / Thai couples in my Soi. Out of that 8, 1 Thai is employed.

That is the unemployment rate for your soi not for Thailand.

Edited by thailiketoo

thailiketoo

Of course it is.

That is how survey samples work.

Go to an area, carry out a survey, apply those figures Nationwide.

These figures will be skewed by the following.

1. Time and place of survey.

2. Who conducts the survey.

3. What is asked in the survey.

If you want a survey carried out on unemployment, you send your survey team to the area that suits your needs. If you want high unemployment figures, you send them to an unemployment blackspot. If you want low figures you send them to an area of high employment.

thailiketoo

Of course it is.

If you want a survey carried out on unemployment, you send your survey team to the area that suits your needs. If you want high unemployment figures, you send them to an unemployment blackspot. If you want low figures you send them to an area of high employment.

All of the factors that you think might skew surveys are addressed in the methodology of how labor force surveys are conducted. You can google how unemployment surveys are conducted and learn something.

I'll just say it one more time. The unemployment rate is accurate in Thailand because it is measured by a labor force survey in keeping with UN standards instead of trying to count everyone which would not be accurate.

thailiketoo

Of course it is.

All of the factors that you think might skew surveys are addressed in the methodology of how labor force surveys are conducted. You can google how unemployment surveys are conducted and learn something.

I'll just say it one more time. The unemployment rate is accurate in Thailand because it is measured by a labor force survey in keeping with UN standards instead of trying to count everyone which would not be accurate.

thailiketoo

You can believe stats or you can believe your own eyes.

The choice is yours.

I know what I believe and it is certainly not official stats

Of course it is.

thailiketoo

You can believe stats or you can believe your own eyes.

The choice is yours.

I know what I believe and it is certainly not official stats

Aw come on. 40,000,000 people work in Thailand. You know them all? I can't debate anecdotal evidence because you can't seriously believe it is correct. All you can do is repeat the old mantra that Thai people lie. I'll take a scientific survey designed by professionals with checks and balances to prevent bias and untruthfulness.

If you don't like surveys and governments and all that scientific stuff, up to you. I take medication made in Thailand and prescribed by a Thai doctor and approved by a Thai survey stating effectiveness. Up to you. You don't trust anybody Thai? OK. Not the same as me.