Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rates globally

bluesofa

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't be compared with a first world country I'm afraid. Op, you need to take into consideration it takes like three foot-shufflers to do a one-man job here. Also, are monks considered as unemployed in those dubious figures! Not much tax revenue there.

Monks ? How about the thousands of people operating completely under the radar in cash economies from CM to Phuket ? I admire their entrepreneurial spirit, but it cant do a whole lot for the tax base in this country.

The tax base is probably made up by dumb farangs paying over the odds for their farang imported goods with 300% tax rates.

I was in a major mall the other day, The Mall Bang Kapi, on the second floor is a car showroom selling Citreon cars, 1.6 million baht, about double the price of a similair Mazda/Ford/Honda, insert whatever car you want.

Who the heck in their right mind would buy one, why the heck would Citreon even try and sell cars here with that sort of mark up.

I was stuck at a red light the other day, infront of me was a Farmhouse delivery truck, written on the back door, drivers wanted, monthly salary from 18-25k per month, I was walking by a lampost the other day, adverts for cleaners in Bkk, 500 baht per day.

An accquaintance has had an advert out looking for a/c technicians, 500 baht per day, no takers.

Another friend building houses cant get proper tradesmen to work for less than 750 baht per day, for some trades the going daily rate is 1,000 baht per day.

Cuz, the Citroen thing? Money laundering. They're not meant to sell.

'... as it has a reasonably similar population and land size to Thailand ...' The UK's land size is substantially smaller. But any country that deems whistle blowing a job is bound to have damn-all unemployment. And of course, we all know where statistics rank in any league table of facts.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

The flaw in this survey method is that you have to declare that you are looking for work, or you don't count in the stats.

Also, being employed at 300 baht a day is hardly glorious. Using Thai unemployment figures as a thing of success is a rather dubious stat.

50% of the total of 37mn available for work are in agriculture. That is so inefficient and of low value they need a subsidy to survive in many cases.

So while its nice to quotr a number, of the 16 mn in agriculture how many are living in still poverty? How many can be employed doing anything else?

Comparing economies with one stat, from the developed and developing world is a very narrow comparison. Thailand in 30 years will have 5mn farmers and there will be 10 mn more factory and office jobs.

Now that's progress.

Edited by Thai at Heart

There was a time one used to get paid good money to sit around and watch rice grow.

"Good money"?

Do have any idea what you are writing about?

Ridicolous.

Sir/Ma'am,

I've seen Thai farm assistants watch cows eat grass as it grows, for real good money!! Your 'Ridicolous' reply is ridiculous.

• Like 1

There was a time one used to get paid good money to sit around and watch rice grow.

"Good money"?

Ridicolous.

Sir/Ma'am,

I've seen Thai farm assistants watch cows eat grass as it grows, for real good money!! Your 'Ridicolous' reply is ridiculous.

The only reason why the employment is low is because they use 10 people to do a one man job. In my country, it is maximum production with minimum manning, that is why the unemployment rate is about 7-8%.

Edited by Gerard052

Wife's brother's girlfriend just graduated from Uni with a degree in accounting and we've been helping her find accommodation here in CM and been taking her to interviews. She finally got a job, it took her three weeks, even in this economic climate.

She got a job with a well known electronics supplier who has the name TV in their company name, she works ten hours a day with no day off, nobody gets a day off there. Her salary is THB 12k a month so really that's about 7k a month for a normal working month, she works 70 hours a week!

So yes, there's low unemployment here!

The flaw in this survey method is that you have to declare that you are looking for work, or you don't count in the stats.

Also, being employed at 300 baht a day is hardly glorious. Using Thai unemployment figures as a thing of success is a rather dubious stat.

50% of the total of 37mn available for work are in agriculture. That is so inefficient and of low value they need a subsidy to survive in many cases.

So while its nice to quotr a number, of the 16 mn in agriculture how many are living in still poverty? How many can be employed doing anything else?

Comparing economies with one stat, from the developed and developing world is a very narrow comparison. Thailand in 30 years will have 5mn farmers and there will be 10 mn more factory and office jobs.

Now that's progress.

Link. What survey method? What country?

Wife's brother's girlfriend just graduated from Uni with a degree in accounting and we've been helping her find accommodation here in CM and been taking her to interviews. She finally got a job, it took her three weeks, even in this economic climate.

She got a job with a well known electronics supplier who has the name TV in their company name, she works ten hours a day with no day off, nobody gets a day off there. Her salary is THB 12k a month so really that's about 7k a month for a normal working month, she works 70 hours a week!

You are basing national unemployment statistics on your wife's brothers girlfriend? Makes no sense.

You are basing national unemployment statistics on your wife's brothers girlfriend? Makes no sense.

I'm providing anecdotal evidence which I know most expats here will relate to very well and will know of similar cases.

The only reason why the employment is low is because they use 10 people to do a one man job. In my country, it is maximum production with minimum manning, that is why the unemployment rate is about 7-8%.

Lets say you live in Canada. Automobile manufactures pick Thailand over Canada to make cars because it is more profitable to make cars in Thailand. That means the labor (among other things) per car is less in Thailand than Canada. Thai workers are more efficient per car than workers in Canada. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry

So no Gerard you are in error.

I'm providing anecdotal evidence which I know most expats here will relate to very well and will know of similar cases.

Anecdotal evidence is worthless when compiling national unemployment data.

'... as it has a reasonably similar population and land size to Thailand ...' The UK's land size is substantially smaller. But any country that deems whistle blowing a job is bound to have damn-all unemployment. And of course, we all know where statistics rank in any league table of facts.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. Just looked it up on wiki. The UK is 242,000 sq km and Thailand is 510,000 sq km.

I thought they were both of a similar size (as opposed to comparing Thailand to say the US or Australia for example).

My mistake, I stand (well sit anyway) corrected.

If a complete and robust system existed by which unemployment could accurately be measured, I might agree with you. But since no sensible system exists here I think anecdotal evidence has a role to play, it's a factor which influences to lesser degree.

Even in the UK there are difficulties measuring unemployment accurately because a percentage of people there chose to remain below the radar and operate in the black economy whilst collecting benefits, so if the UK numbers are not entirely reliable and accurate, Thailand stands no chance of even coming close.

And don't shout at me, please.

Statistics are used by every profession. In the medical profession life and death decisions are made every day based on statistics. So tell me sir where do statistics rank in any league table of facts? A link would be nice. I'm assuming you and your pub buddies provide links eh?

If a complete and robust system existed by which unemployment could accurately be measured, I might agree with you. But since no sensible system exists here I think anecdotal evidence has a role to play, it's a factor which influences to lesser degree.

Even in the UK there are difficulties measuring unemployment accurately because a percentage of people there chose to remain below the radar and operate in the black economy whilst collecting benefits, so if the UK numbers are not entirely reliable and accurate, Thailand stands no chance of even coming close.

Thailand uses the same system as the USA and Australia. Your assertion is nonsense unless you maintain that Australia and the USA also have no sensible system? You are putting your Thai bash ahead of facts. The UK also uses a survey (as do most other countries in the world) method because the claimant method is not accurate.

PS. All caps would be shouting all bold is emphasis.

Edited by thailiketoo

Thailand uses the same system as the USA and Australia. Your assertion is nonsense unless you maintain that Australia and the USA also have no sensible system? You are putting your Thai bash ahead of facts. The UK also uses a survey (as do most other countries in the world) method because the claimant method is not accurate.

Firstly, when it comes to Thai bashing I'm right at the very end of the queue and then some, so don't go there with me on that point!

I don't believe that sampling and surveys are reliable, especially in Thailand where they are a relatively new phenomena, distrust and also the fact that less than 2% of the population pay income tax via at source are partial reasons why. Another aspect of why surveys are unreliable involves face, most Thai's would rather lie than admit they are lazy and consequently unemployed.

Straight question here - I'm not trying to be a sm@t@rse or score points.

Can you tell me why the claimant method is not accurate? I would have thought counting the number people claiming dole would be a much more accurate way than the survey method?

OK, obviously for Thailand it wouldn't work as there's no dole/benefits to claim, but for the UK I'd have thought that would be a more accurate sytem (apart from fraudulent claimants).

Straight question here - I'm not trying to be a sm@t@rse or score points.

Can you tell me why the claimant method is not accurate? I would have thought counting the number people claiming dole would be a much more accurate way than the survey method?

OK, obviously for Thailand it wouldn't work as there's no dole/benefits to claim, but for the UK I'd have thought that would be a more accurate sytem (apart from fraudulent claimants).

Claimant count doesn't include zero hour contracts, freelance contractors, economically inactive, ineligibility to claim, business owners with no or zero revenue streams and of course fraud.

"Good money"?

Ridicolous.

15k against a market price of 5-6k sounds like good money to me.

Even with the government rice subsidy the work involved to grow rice is immense and unless one has 100 or more Rai then you ain't going to make a decent amount of money.

Personally, living in a Isaan village where many families have less than 10 Rai of land, the amount of money recieved for the rice is not enough to feed a Thai family for more than a few months. Now with the rice subsidy gone it will be even worse.

Those who have never seen what work and costs are involved when growing rice should not make ridiculous comments about rice farmers making good money.

Back to the employment figures.

Yes I believe they are meaningless.

Anyone under the age of 18 years old is not officially allowed to work. So there are many thousands who leave school early but are not allowed to enter the workforce but then are also not a part of the unemployment statistics.

hah I bet a time n motion study would be hilarious here..........theyd have to measure in decades!

Yes little unemployment because it takes 4 people to do one persons job

and then another three to do the same job again because it was not properly done at the first time.

About the same land area???? Thailand 198,000 sq Miles. Great Britain (Eng, Scotld, Wales) 88,000 sq Miles. Wikipedia.

The statistics are all fudged anyway. Don't even waste your time trying to work it out. That will be an hour of your short life that you will never get back.

Disraeli said, "There are lies. damned lies and Statistics."

Edited by The Deerhunter

"Good money"?

Ridicolous.

15k against a market price of 5-6k sounds like good money to me.

Even with the government rice subsidy the work involved to grow rice is immense and unless one has 100 or more Rai then you ain't going to make a decent amount of money.

Personally, living in a Isaan village where many families have less than 10 Rai of land, the amount of money recieved for the rice is not enough to feed a Thai family for more than a few months. Now with the rice subsidy gone it will be even worse.

Those who have never seen what work and costs are involved when growing rice should not make ridiculous comments about rice farmers making good money.

Back to the employment figures.

Yes I believe they are meaningless.

Anyone under the age of 18 years old is not officially allowed to work. So there are many thousands who leave school early but are not allowed to enter the workforce but then are also not a part of the unemployment statistics.

If someone gets paid double over the market price for doing something, it is good money.

Firstly, when it comes to Thai bashing I'm right at the very end of the queue and then some, so don't go there with me on that point!

I don't believe that sampling and surveys are reliable, especially in Thailand where they are a relatively new phenomena, distrust and also the fact that less than 2% of the population pay income tax via at source are partial reasons why. Another aspect of why surveys are unreliable involves face, most Thai's would rather lie than admit they are lazy and consequently unemployed.

You claim to be more knowledgeable than the international organizations listed below. I'm calling BS on that one unless you can give some proof of your credibility recognized on an international scale like the World Bank, IMF, ILO, ADB, ESCAP, JICA and MITI.

The NSO's major users combine the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board, the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare, the Ministry of Public Health, the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, the Bank of Thailand and international organizations such as World Bank, IMF, ILO, ADB, ESCAP, JICA, MITI, etc. More information please send email to [email protected]

http://web.nso.go.th/en/stat.htm

Edited by thailiketoo

It would be interesting (for me) to understand the relationship between the published UK unemployed numbers (using the survey method) and the claimant count, that relationship might shed some light on the potential accuracy of the survey method in Thailand.

About the same land area???? Thailand 198,000 sq Miles. Great Britain (Eng, Scotld, Wales) 88,000 sq Miles. Wikipedia.

The statistics are all fudged anyway. Don't even waste your time trying to work it out. That will be an hour of your short life that you will never get back.

Disraeli said, "There are lies. damned lies and Statistics."

Statistics plays a vital role in every fields of human activity. Statistics has important role in determining the existing position of per capita income, unemployment, population growth rate, housing, schooling medical facilities etc…in a country. Now statistics holds a central position in almost every field like Industry, Commerce, Trade, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics, Biology, Botany, Psychology, Astronomy etc…, so application of statistics is very wide.

Statistics is branch of applied mathematics. The large number of statistical methods like probability averages, dispersions, estimation etc… is used in mathematics and different techniques of pure mathematics like integration, differentiation and algebra are used in statistics.

http://www.emathzone.com/tutorials/basic-statistics/importance-of-statistics-in-different-fields.html

If you cannot distinguish good from faulty reasoning, then you are vulnerable to manipulation and to decisions that are not in your best interest. Statistics provides tools that you need in order to react intelligently to information you hear or read. In this sense, statistics is one of the most important things that you can study.

http://onlinestatbook.com/2/introduction/importance.html