Curtailing ties with Thailand to have repercussions on the EU too, FTI warns

webfact

Lets finish the discussion, come back when you actually know what you're talking about.

I live in Thailand..I lived here during the demonstrations..Maybe to EU the government in Thailand is not legitimate..I can tell you who is firmly in control...& I believe the majority of Thai believe it's a better government than the alternative.

If you live in Thailand ....we can continue this discussion.

I live in Thailand also, but since I must have missed it, can you remind me when the current government was elected ?

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Monday, the EU decided to suspend mutual official visits after the military's power seizure in May, and said the exemptions would continue until Thailand has a democratically elected government in place.

Blackmail in it's purest form. Why doesn't the EU and the rest of the West make the same play until China has a democratically elected government ?

​Countries enforcing their democratic agenda onto others make me sick.

• Like 2

cheesy.gif In two pages this thread has gone off quicker than a pound of butter in the back seat of my pick-up! The OP isn't important....it's a page filler for the local rag and you folks get all worked up over it! Concentrate on the important issues, not the page filler fluff.

I believe it will be very difficult in the near future for many western countries to have dealings with a military run Thailand.

Public sentiment, in the west especially, does not generally support military run countries..

Unless they have oil,natural gas, rare earth minerals,or are of strategic value.

• Like 1

This not about Thailand warning the EU. It is about the shallow understanding of both the EU and US on Thailand domestic issues and their short sightedness on how well the Coup has quickly brought the situation under control and the excellent policies that the military continue to execute to stabalise the country and clean up years of mess.

Neither the EU or the US should be commenting - look at the mess in the Ukraine and the Middle-East. Hardly a track record to shout about. If they are not contributing something useful to help Thailand, then they should stop mouthing off - it is not helpful.

They are just making the correct diplomatic noises for future record, no real sanctions are going to take place.

On Monday, the EU decided to suspend mutual official visits after the military's power seizure in May, and said the exemptions would continue until Thailand has a democratically elected government in place.

Blackmail in it's purest form. Why doesn't the EU and the rest of the West make the same play until China has a democratically elected government ?

Just means no 'jollies' for the officials in question, bet they are the sick ones!

• Like 1

Maybe Thailand should ban the EU trash from this wonderful country

Personally I expect severe restrictions on back to back tourist visas coming soon.

Let's hope so. I would love to see all those drug smoking hippies [ mostly cheap ar$e Europeans] being shown the door. And it wouldn't impact the Thai economy cuz as I said. They are cheap ar$es that live here for years on 5000 baht a month. 1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif

Supant Mongkolsuthree, chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI), said the benefits from free-trade agreements normally were bilateral, and if the EU continued with this measure, it too would lose out on benefits.

Yeah right! Like 100% import tax on goods from the EU and 200% on cars. Don't see any "bilateral free trade agreement" there!

Just means no 'jollies' for the officials in question, bet they are the sick ones!

The EU is a joke. Full of bureaucrats, former politicians and non elected petty officials bloated with their own importance and usually do all they can to favor their own particular country. It's great for the poor countries in Europe as it provides an income stream from the wealthier ones.

Very noble of the EU to stand up for the Ukrainian faction that supports the EU throwing out an elected government that didn't; then refusing to accept a democratic decision by the people of Crimea (completely ignoring the history of the Crimea in the process) but fully prepared to condemn the people in Thailand who throw out a corrupt, lying, cheating, law breaking administration bent on tearing the country apart.

Bully Thailand but oh, Russia and China might fight back.

Next we'll get that twerp Hague lecturing again and showing his astounding lack of knowledge of reality.

Agree with everything you just said there,

One thing that Thailand may do is to make a level playing field for all countries, and that would mean scrapping the Treaty of Amity with the USA, which may well happen later this year if the Cobra Gold exercises are cancelled.

What the EU does not realise is that it is already losing out

When the last round of bidding was done no European companies were there, mostly Korean, and I expect no different after the military reviews them - new double guage railways and rolling stock - Siemens could be in for a surprise there.

I was a consultant for a large Thai high-tech procurement last year - >$100m - and there were expressions of interest from many places including Europe and the US. It could very well be that when the final bidding is announced these countries will not be invited, but Thailand would still get the choice of partners from China, Japan or Korea - building up those countries industries - so Thailand will not lose out.

And in other areas the US/European hold is being weakened, even in the areas such as GPS, invented by the Americans, the Europeans have invested over $5Bn, but in the next 2-3 years you will see all of Thailand's systems, and all new developments, using the Chinese BeiDou system with ground stations set up around Thailand to give accuracy to 5cm - something that would not be allowed with the other systems.

Just another way that Thailand is moving towards a more Asian future and away from the old alliances.

• Like 2

This not about Thailand warning the EU. It is about the shallow understanding of both the EU and US on Thailand domestic issues and their short sightedness on how well the Coup has quickly brought the situation under control and the excellent policies that the military continue to execute to stabalise the country and clean up years of mess.

Neither the EU or the US should be commenting - look at the mess in the Ukraine and the Middle-East. Hardly a track record to shout about. If they are not contributing something useful to help Thailand, then they should stop mouthing off - it is not helpful.

So it's the EU's shallow understanding and short sightedness. Not this, then;

It was therefore with extreme concern that the Council has followed recent developments in Thailand. It called on the military leadership to restore, as a matter of urgency, the legitimate democratic process and the Constitution, through credible and inclusive elections. The Council also called on all parties to exercise the utmost restraint. Respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms must be upheld. Furthermore the Council urged military authorities to free all political detainees, to refrain from any further arrests for political reasons and to remove censorship.

The military leadership's recent announcement falls short of the credible roadmap for a return to constitutional rule which the situation requires. Fully functioning democratic institutions must be brought back to ensure the protection and welfare of all citizens.

• Like 1

Look at the damage elected governments have done to this country,i'm all for a benign dictatorship.

Tony Benn on democracy - read and think again about your statement

In the course of my life I have developed five little democratic questions. If one meets a powerful person - Adolf Hitler, Joe Stalin or Bill Gates - ask them five questions:

“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?”

If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.

• Like 2

So it's the EU's shallow understanding and short sightedness. Not this, then;

It was therefore with extreme concern that the Council has followed recent developments in Thailand. It called on the military leadership to restore, as a matter of urgency, the legitimate democratic process and the Constitution, through credible and inclusive elections. The Council also called on all parties to exercise the utmost restraint. Respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms must be upheld. Furthermore the Council urged military authorities to free all political detainees, to refrain from any further arrests for political reasons and to remove censorship.

The military leadership's recent announcement falls short of the credible roadmap for a return to constitutional rule which the situation requires. Fully functioning democratic institutions must be brought back to ensure the protection and welfare of all citizens.

Pretty much like this statement then

"Moreover, in our view, every person who has been detained must enjoy a status under international law and is entitled not to be detained arbitrarily and to receive due process and a fair trial. The Commission would also stress that no-one should be subject to incommunicado detention and that the International Committee of the Red Cross must always be allowed access to detained persons wherever they may be"

EU statement on Guantanamo Bay detentions - Brussels 31/05/06

• Like 2

The EU is controlled by the US so appears along with the US Human Trafficking that the West is unhappy with Thailand...because of democracy? because of slavery? because they can't pay anyone to do their bidding in Thailand?

You will find that the recent EU sanctions are not related to their human trafficking record, but are because there is no legitimate government currently.

No legitimate government?...Of course they have sanctioned Egypt?..Ukraine? Iraq? Obviously you believe the lies...

The military coup in Thailand was the best thing that happened and as they are firmly in control..they are as legitimate as any government..

Lets finish the discussion, come back when you actually know what you're talking about.

why......you obviously don't!!! only blind Shinawatra loyalty!!

The EU is run by politicians elected to Government by democratic voting, these people will depend on the system for their jobs of course they will pressure anyone who doesn't follow the same system. Thailand can and has well survived without the support of Europe for a long time, The west is influenced by Shinawatra owned media, they know nothing of the corruption, the murders, the lying and the unpleasantness that this brings. WE however know how much better Thailand is when its run for the people by the army. When corruption and its allies are removed and people can go about their lives without disruption and danger from red shirt attacks and threats. The EU has no right to impose this on anyone through another rigged, false, cheated, bought election. Ask the EU how many non Pheu Thai candidates stood in the North and North East last election and were unharrased? Those of you wanting undemocratic elections now should go back to the EU and hold them there!! 90% of Thais like our country the way it is now!! Its up to us NOT up to you!!

I live in Thailand..I lived here during the demonstrations..Maybe to EU the government in Thailand is not legitimate..I can tell you who is firmly in control...& I believe the majority of Thai believe it's a better government than the alternative.

If you live in Thailand ....we can continue this discussion.

I live in Thailand also, but since I must have missed it, can you remind me when the current government was elected ?

The last election bought Thailand total Pheu Thai corruption and lots of murdered people

Who cares when the current Government was elected - ITS BETTER!!!

• Like 1

The EU is run by politicians elected to Government by democratic voting, these people will depend on the system for their jobs of course they will pressure anyone who doesn't follow the same system. Thailand can and has well survived without the support of Europe for a long time, The west is influenced by Shinawatra owned media, they know nothing of the corruption, the murders, the lying and the unpleasantness that this brings. WE however know how much better Thailand is when its run for the people by the army. When corruption and its allies are removed and people can go about their lives without disruption and danger from red shirt attacks and threats. The EU has no right to impose this on anyone through another rigged, false, cheated, bought election. Ask the EU how many non Pheu Thai candidates stood in the North and North East last election and were unharrased? Those of you wanting undemocratic elections now should go back to the EU and hold them there!! 90% of Thais like our country the way it is now!! Its up to us NOT up to you!!

Funny this.

Most brussels are appointed in brussels not elected by national populations.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Funny this.

Thats hilarious.....I would have thought "most brussels appointed to brussels" would sprout out of the ground,

Now then!! The bit you missed out... can you tell us - the main sources of Euro MP's?? NO idea??? OK Ill tell you....

Over a third of MEPs have previously held national parliamentary mandates, and over 10% have ministerial experience at a national level. There are usually a high percentage of former prime ministers and former members of the European Commission. Many other MEPs have held office at a regional or local level in their home states after gaining office through democratic election. (source - European affairs treaty 2010)

so they HAVE been elected under democratic systems and rely on this system for their jobs.....anything else??

Edited by love1012
  • Like 1

Funny this.

Apart from the fact that Im, not sure what a "brussel" is......thats loosely true!!

Now then!! The bit you missed out... can you tell us - the main sources of Euro MP's?? NO idea??? OK Ill tell you....

Over a third of MEPs have previously held national parliamentary mandates, and over 10% have ministerial experience at a national level. There are usually a high percentage of former prime ministers and former members of the European Commission. Many other MEPs have held office at a regional or local level in their home states after gaining office through democratic election. (source - European affairs treaty 2010)

so they HAVE been elected under democratic systems and rely on this system for their jobs.....anything else??

That's as maybe. But reality is, many positions in the EU framework are nor elected by the population but by the organisation themselves.

Mr Rompuy is now my first European president. I have absolutely no clue about his politics or correctness for the job. Yay for democracy.

MEPs make up only one part of the system in brussels

Edited by Thai at Heart