Pollution problems

OLDAUSSIE

I have been living in Bang Chang area for the last 2 years, my health has been on the decline since I first moved here.

A Dr I know that works in BKK Rayong hospital told me last Saturday night that the air quality in this area is very bad, including all of the Rayong area, Mattaputt and Bang Chang and looks as if its a big cover up.

I really like living here but I'm going to move for my health reasons. I first came to Bang Chang over 10 years ago and like most places it has changed with

" progress" for the want of a better word.

I'm not knocking this area but just putting up a warning to other members about it.wai.gif

Edited by OLDAUSSIE

I've been everywhere in Thailand, and while some areas are far worse than others, I know of not one that does not suffer from air, water, noise or general pollution. Move into the rural areas and you still get the unabated car/truck exhaust, the molds, and the burning.

My health, too, has suffered. I know Rayong well, (I lived in Trat) and it is one of the worst, in most every category. Your warning is valid.

Best of luck wherever you end up.

Been in the chemical industry for over 30 years and have worked on several sites on the Eastern Seaboard.

It is a nightmare and accidents just waiting to happen. Little has progressed since the 1990's and EH& S is all but lip service. Environmental agencies are well understaffed and under qualified. Industrial pollution of air water and soil is highly prolific. Provision of release permits is farcical

A point to note is how fast the authorities come out with all "clear statements" after an incident.

I have no idea if any of this is linked to your health, however what your Doctor told you is accurate and unless there is serious and significant intervention these conditions will only get worse.

BC are a visa particularly bad....mapnta put has a dreadful record of pollution. There have been many recorded incidents.

However your decline in health may or may not be due to that. You need to get blood tests etc and EVERYTHING from a capable and unbiased doctor before you jump to conclusions.

I have worked in that area on and off for years, and whildtni love the work, I'm alwaysba bit wary of working there for too long.

The safety practices in some of the companies there are even to a layman quite disturbing.

And as if the plants in Rayong's Map Tap Phut are not bad enough, developed countries, including the US, Australia, South Korea, Britain and Japan, have exported toxic waste to Thailand and other destinations in SE Asia. There is no public disclosure where within a country it goes or how it is stored.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/IB21Ae01.html

Also, concerning Map Ta Phut:

A 2010 analysis by Silpakorn University of the “environmental and health impact studies” made by the companies concerned found that thirty-five of the seventy-six industrial plants “suspended [in 2009] in Map Ta Phut industrial estate [would] use hazardous chemicals that [could] cause several ailments.” Twenty-one plants would use carcinogenic substances in their production process. Other toxic substances to be used would be harmful to the respiratory system (thirty-four projects), neurological system (twenty-four projects), reproductive system (ten projects), foetus (four projects), blood system (eighteen projects), liver and renal (twenty-five projects), skin and eyes (thirty- three projects).

http://www.hurights.or.jp/archives/focus/section2/2012/06/map-ta-phut-thailands-minamata.html

Edited by DeepInTheForest

Thank you for your response about this problem and its a much bigger problem than I ever realized and being covered up as most things are in Thailand

"Loss of Face " and all that crap......Just put their heads in the sand & hope the problem will go away.wai.gif

there are various factors at play.

firstly is corruption/graft/nepotism. - Even people who have lived in Thailand for years still have no idea of how widespread and entrenched all this is.

the results are factories set up where they shouldn't be.

Pollution is unchecked and money avoids prosecutions.

People owe their positions to "favours" done so fail to act on serious problems

Nepotism often results in people in jobs who are simply not up to the task.

Secondly International companies are happy to join in the "regulation free" bonanza.

then when something IS discovered the instinct is to create confusion, cover up or just hope the matter "goes away" - this is not helped by the Thai attitude of "Kreng Jai" which basically is the art of helping your boss not to lose face. This means we often don't hear about it or it "disappears" from the news never to be concluded.

land and industry are owned by those high yup in Thai society - it is still considered that those who own land and business should run the country as they have the biggest vested interests.....so any government action would be undertaken by those - or friends of those - who are befitting from the businesses.

These are not little quirks of Thai culture - they are the mainstream, the BACKBONE of Thai industry.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

there are various factors at play.

firstly is corruption/graft/nepotism. - Even people who have lived in Thailand for years still have no idea of how widespread and entrenched all this is.

the results are factories set up where they shouldn't be.

Pollution is unchecked and money avoids prosecutions.

People owe their positions to "favours" done so fail to act on serious problems

Nepotism often results in people in jobs who are simply not up to the task.

Secondly International companies are happy to join in the "regulation free" bonanza.

then when something IS discovered the instinct is to create confusion, cover up or just hope the matter "goes away" - this is not helped by the Thai attitude of "Kreng Jai" which basically is the art of helping your boss not to lose face.

These are not little quirks of Thai culture - they are the mainstream, the BACKBONE of Thai industry.

This is possibly the best post I have read on TV. Everything you wrote is soo true.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand