Offered a job - where should I go to get B visa?

I am in Thailand on a tourist visa. I was offered a job contingent on my getting a B visa. They will supply all the paperwork needed, bank statements, etc. I have all my paperwork ready.

Immigration told me I need to leave Thailand and apply at a consulate. Some people tell me to go to Malaysia but others say Singapore is the best place to apply. Does it really matter? One friend who is knowledgeable says my best bet is definitely Singapore but I would prefer to go somewhere cheaper to apply.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly!

Singapore is not your best bet, they can be picky, plus the place is super expensive and rather over fastidious - good shopping however, if you are loaded.

You will not get more than a Single Entry 90 day Non Immigrant 'B' Visa in the SE Asia Region and for this you need the list of company papers in the link below which includes the 'Letter of Approval' from your local department of Labour, which is only issued once your company has successfully filed a Work Permit application for you.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Penang is a good bet and has many helpful visa agents plus truly excellent, affordable, Indian Food as a bonus.

Good Luck.

Edited by digitalchromakey

I did mine a few years back in Singapore, it was straightforward and fast. Due to an admin <deleted> up by HR a year later, had to get another one, so I went to PP, which was a bloody nightmare! despite me having all the correct paperwork.

For me, if at some point I need to do it again, Singapore for me,

I did mine a few years back in Singapore, it was straightforward and fast. Due to an admin up by HR a year later, had to get another one, so I went to PP, which was a bloody nightmare! despite me having all the correct paperwork.

For me, if at some point I need to do it again, Singapore for me,

If all your paper work is in order Singapore is easy

• Like 1

I am in Thailand on a tourist visa. I was offered a job contingent on my getting a B visa. They will supply all the paperwork needed, bank statements, etc. I have all my paperwork ready.

Immigration told me I need to leave Thailand and apply at a consulate. Some people tell me to go to Malaysia but others say Singapore is the best place to apply. Does it really matter? One friend who is knowledgeable says my best bet is definitely Singapore but I would prefer to go somewhere cheaper to apply.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly!

You were I offered a job on ability to get a non imm B and not offered the job based on your, qualifications, experience, skills, and suitability for the position ?

• Like 1

OP, there is a subtle point - you say you have been offered a job based on your being able to obtain a Non Immigrant 'B' Visa - clear.

However you cannot get a Non Immigrant 'B' Visa in the SE Asia Region without a Work Permit Application being successfully filed by your employer at your local Labour Department (which involves the supply of work contracts, etc to Labour by your employer - i.e. a real employment commitment).

There are some way leaves for teachers, but that's about it.

Also, for reference, you cannot legally start work before you have a Work Permit actually in your hand (WP issue process only runs to completion once you return to Thailand with your 90 day Single Entry Non 'B' and get the 90 day non 'B' stamp in your passport and take this to Labour)..

The paper that you are talking about is a WP3 its a document from the labour dept. saying that your application is in process.

However, the WP3 isnt necessary if the company balance sheet ( which you are required to produce ) shows a turnover of a certain amount of million baht. I forget the amount, but i myself have received a 3 month non-B without the need for a WP3 because the company had a high cash turnover.

OP, there is a subtle point - you say you have been offered a job based on your being able to obtain a Non Immigrant 'B' Visa - clear.

However you cannot get a Non Immigrant 'B' Visa in the SE Asia Region without a Work Permit Application being successfully filed by your employer at your local Labour Department (which involves the supply of work contracts, etc to Labour by your employer - i.e. a real employment commitment).

Also, for reference, you cannot legally start work before you have a Work Permit actually in your hand (WP issue process only runs to completion once you return to Thailand with your 90 day Single Entry Non 'B' and get the 90 day non 'B' stamp in your passport and take this to Labour)..

BTW: Penang has been suggested, but someone told me the other week that the consulate had now stopped accepting paperwork submitted by the L.Chula visa agents. Maybe a rumour, maybe worth checking before, or maybe someone can confirm either way.

Things have changed you will not get a non-b with just a WP3 at any nearby location. They will only accept a letter of approval for the work permit application from the Labor Ministry.

From MFA wsbite. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

- Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour. To obtain this letter, the applicant’s prospective employer in Thailand is required to submit Form WP3 at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour

The paper that you are talking about is a WP3 its a document from the labour dept. saying that your application is in process.

However, the WP3 isnt necessary if the company balance sheet ( which you are required to produce ) shows a turnover of a certain amount of million baht. I forget the amount, but i myself have received a 3 month non-B without the need for a WP3 because the company had a high cash turnover.

BTW: Penang has been suggested, but someone told me the other week that the consulate had now stopped accepting paperwork submitted by the L.Chula visa agents. Maybe a rumour, maybe worth checking before, or maybe someone can confirm either way.

Sorry. but the information marked in red that was posted above is certainly not currently correct.

Maybe you were previously working for a BOI attached company where the rules differ.

The WP3 (or Dtor Tor 3 in Thai) is actually the Labour Departments' Standard Work Permit application for non resident aliens - please see document attached below:

Some consulates used to accept the WP3 Receipt (an A5 sized slip of paper that you get when you pay the 100 THB fee on successfully filing your WP Application). But nowadays many (including Penang) insist on the Letter of Acceptance from Labour..Below is a link to the MFA list of required documents:
btw Penang was still accepting and awarding One Year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa applications as of yesterday.

Singapore is recommended over any of the other SE Asia neighbours because they do NOT require the WP3 receipt or letter of approval.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it states the requirements very clearly on their website: http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-b

Please do correct me if I'm wrong as I'm going there next week for this purpose!

Singapore is recommended over any of the other SE Asia neighbours because they do NOT require the WP3 receipt or letter of approval.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it states the requirements very clearly on their website: http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-b

Please do correct me if I'm wrong as I'm going there next week for this purpose!

I suspect on further research you will find that Singapore fast track their own nationals and those employed by a Singapore Company for One year Multiple Entry Non 'B's - same privileges are not available to other nationalities/ employees of non Singapore Companies as I am aware.

Please contact them to confirm that what you post is correct, I fear that it is only partly correct see 6 in your linked list .

6. Recommendation letter from a company in Singapore (Original in the company’s letter head)

Please don't take my word for it, do check directly with the Thai Embassy Singapore before you possibly waste a journey.-

OP - Vientian is a good choice also. Go here: http://www.thaivisaservice.com/ (in case the link gets blocked it's thai visa service . com) and either call or send them an e-mail. They leave from the Tesco parking lot at On Nut BTS station every Sun. and Wens. evenings. They have never failed me in getting Tourist, Non-B and Non-O visas in the 12 years I've been living and working here. They know all the consulate people and the border people and can tell you exactly what you need Today to get you painlessly through the process.

I'd suggest avoiding the speculation and just ask the experts. :)

Thai Embassy in Singapore have just confirmed that the list published on their website is accurate. They also said that #6 (letter of recommendation from Singapore company) is only required if you are resident in Singapore.

Hope this helps!

Thai Embassy in Singapore have just confirmed that the list published on their website is accurate. They also said that #6 (letter of recommendation from Singapore company) is only required if you are resident in Singapore.

Hope this helps!

Interesting, firstly I presume that you specifically asked if no WP3 Receipt or Letter of Approval was required and Singapore concurred.

Secondly I deduce that you are not a teacher, that this is your first application for a Single Entry Non immigrant 'B' Visa supported by your soon to be employer and that you/your employer have not yet applied for/do not have a Work Permit.

Good luck and please do let this thread know as to how it went.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report that the Singapore embassy approved my application for business visa. Can confirm no WP3 or letter of approval required. They also do not need the letter from a Singapore company unless you are employed in Singapore.

Beware that they DO require everything else on that list and they are very particular about the tax forms, the PorPor30s and 50s etc etc. Make very sure your Thai company has provided everything asked of them (double check this - remember these are Thai companies we are talking about here!)

Aside from being very strict about this, the Embassy in Singapore is very good: helpful and efficient and always has the passports ready for next-day collection.

Good luck!

Happy to report that the Singapore embassy approved my application for business visa. Can confirm no WP3 or letter of approval required. They also do not need the letter from a Singapore company unless you are employed in Singapore.

Beware that they DO require everything else on that list and they are very particular about the tax forms, the PorPor30s and 50s etc etc. Make very sure your Thai company has provided everything asked of them (double check this - remember these are Thai companies we are talking about here!)

Aside from being very strict about this, the Embassy in Singapore is very good: helpful and efficient and always has the passports ready for next-day collection.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.

Did you show a Work Permit or proof that you are employed by a foreign company seeking to attend meetings and/or do business in Thailand?

Was the visa you obtained a single entry 90 day or a one year multiple entry non immigrant 'b'.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.

Did you show a Work Permit or proof that you are employed by a foreign company seeking to attend meetings and/or do business in Thailand?

Was the visa you obtained a single entry 90 day or a one year multiple entry non immigrant 'b'.

This is my first business visa so I had no work permit, just a stack of company documents. Can only apply for single entry 90 days.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.

This is my first business visa so I had no work permit, just a stack of company documents. Can only apply for single entry 90 days.

Much appreciated feedback.

Were you applying as an employee of a company outside of Thailand seeking a visa to do business with companies inside of Thailand or as a future employee of a Thai Company?

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.

Were you applying as an employee of a company outside of Thailand seeking a visa to do business with companies inside of Thailand or as a future employee of a Thai Company?

Future employee.

Thanks for the feedback.

Future employee.

Thanks again for that information.

So the conclusion is that with the correct company papers as listed on the Singapore Embassy Website, excluding WP3 Application Receipt or Letter of Acceptance from labour, that it is possible to get a Single Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa at the Thai Consular Facility in Singapore.

Good to know.