Motorists violating Thai traffic laws face harsher action

webfact

As much as I hate them, Red Light cameras and Speed Cameras could work wonders in Thailand, at least the BIB would be by-passed and the fine would just be automated.

They have speed cameras already here, i was sent an official notice to my office with a picture of my car with all the details of speed going, time, location etc and was required to pay 500 baht fine.

For any other drivers out there, if i remember correctly it was KM36 of highway 7.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad, all these advocates of this new electronic system are going to be complaining once the parking meters and parking fines become implemented in Thailand, as they play "catch-up" to the West. This is one of the first stages to the kind of parking and traffic tyranny that makes driving in the West absolutely over -priced with money pouring into the coffers of local and state government due to traffic and parking fines.

• Like 1

In reality, the cops only ticket people at road blocks for no helmet or expired/lack of documents.

The nice people that drive recklessly, the wrong way or run red lights are seldom caught- because after the road blocks are closed, the cops go back to the station to sleep.

What will happen is the "cash" fines will increase. Good PR for the junta and good deal for the cops.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OH NO! Tea money just went from 200 to 300 baht?

More than that now. Tuesday 24 Jun.

Speed trap with camera's deployed sneakily some distance up the road and a large checkpoint and pay station (desk set up) on R21 - Saraburi- Lomsak Road. Fines were starting at 400 THB.

Off topic I know but this is extremely irritating. When are people going to learn the correct use of the apostrophe? In the above post; camera's - no. cameras - yes.

• Like 1

I really do wonder: go to ANY grammar-school in Thailand, when the kids start to go home; have a look at what's on display here: very young kids, 3 or 4 to a motorbike; NO helmets, No license (because they're only 8 to 12 years old ! !) and therefore NO insurance.

Then go and take a look at the High-School kids: also more than 2 on a bike; NO helmets and NO clue as to traffic-safety. Some of the boys drive like total morons (TO IMPRESS THE GIRLS, NO DOUBT) - but a grave danger on the road.

Are they going to crack-down on this too ? ?

w00t.gif

• Like 2

"If you do it for the fourth time, your driving licence will be revoked," Wattana added.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He/she won't live that long.

Regular I see a car or ute parked halfway across a pedestrian crossing and another one reversed up to it covering the other half of the crossing. On the opposite side of the road there are several motor cycles parked on the crossing. You have to get off the crossing to cross the road and when on some crossings I have nearly been run over by motor cycles. Why do they have pedestrian crossings. The police ignore the culprits.

As long as police don't take money for NOT entering the offender in the electronic system.

OH ... BTW .... what happened with this story? There was supposed to be a press release on the corrupt officials arrested.

Phuket police plan second wave of mass taxi-related arrests 2014-06-24

PHUKET: -- Following the mass arrests of taxi drivers on June 4 that netted 110 people , including the Mayor of Karon, Tawee Thongcham, the police, backed by the Army, are preparing a second, similar, drive tomorrow (June 25).

This time the targets will be corrupt officials and politicians linked to the taxi and tuk-tuk industry.

“We will attack and arrest them, suddenly and immediately, tomorrow. In the afternoon we will hold a press conference to reveal the results.”

"If you do it for the fourth time, your driving licence will be revoked," Wattana added.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He/she won't live that long.

Lots don't have a driving licence to be revoked,so it's back to a 200 Baht backhander. I have noticed many complete wrecks still being driven on the roads in the small market town were i live,rust,no back lights,headlights smashed,no number plates and of course no tax sticker,they are driven around with impunity.

• Like 1

Regular I see a car or ute parked halfway across a pedestrian crossing and another one reversed up to it covering the other half of the crossing. On the opposite side of the road there are several motor cycles parked on the crossing. You have to get off the crossing to cross the road and when on some crossings I have nearly been run over by motor cycles. Why do they have pedestrian crossings. The police ignore the culprits.

Iv'e noticed that to,and the police are often the culprits,weaving around people crossing.

If you jump a red light for the first time you should be banned for life, as you may end someone elses ! Get tougher guys!!!!!

Can you name one country that would ban someone from driving for life for a first time offence of jumping a red light?

I really do wonder: go to ANY grammar-school in Thailand, when the kids start to go home; have a look at what's on display here: very young kids, 3 or 4 to a motorbike; NO helmets, No license (because they're only 8 to 12 years old ! !) and therefore NO insurance.

Then go and take a look at the High-School kids: also more than 2 on a bike; NO helmets and NO clue as to traffic-safety. Some of the boys drive like total morons (TO IMPRESS THE GIRLS, NO DOUBT) - but a grave danger on the road.

w00t.gif

True enough. On the main road near us there are several schools in a relatively short distance. Home time sees regular races, 2 or 3 per bike, no helmets, too young for licenses weaving in and out of the traffic desperate to beat their rivals. Police too busy pulling over trucks and adult motorbike riders for all those "essential checks".

w00t.gif

No,how are the kids to get to school,mum and dad don't have a licence either. I blame the schools,they could ban all motorbikes being driven by children but instead they provide parking spaces. When i take my 6 year old son to school i always wear a helmet and make sure that my son wears his, and the teachers who should be setting a good example drive past me without helmets,two who i know personally don't even have a driving licence because '' It's not necessary as i live near the school''

I think enforcing something is only as good as enlightening people as to what is going to be enforced.

Roads with no paint stripes, lights that malfunction, or don;t work, or are not where they would do good, signs of all sorts missing to speed, caution, warning, direction etc. et al.

There are so many holes in the system, let alone the obvious which are not made clear by traffic enforcement either when driving or at the time someone bothers to take and pass the test. Most of the items in the drivers pre-test booklet cover items the driver never encounters. This includes (but is not limited to) situations and signs and stripes that should be there but aren't.

I guess I don't mind obeying the law, but wouldn't it be prudent to inform me of what the law is, and then place in my environment reminders of those things?

My suggestion would be to go after those who do not have licenses and / or those who are uninsured, as well as under-aged drivers.

But when one really sits down and thinks about all of this, one is compelled to conclude that this is simply another method to spite righting the wrongs of this society, and merely add to the list of wrongs that afflict this society; all for the sake of saving face and lining pockets.

As much as I hate them, Red Light cameras and Speed Cameras could work wonders in Thailand, at least the BIB would be by-passed and the fine would just be automated.

Don't agree my friend. Speed cameras here only record vehicle plate, if there is one and it is visible and the vehicle is registered. Huge number of people drive without a licence. I don't see it helping and then there is the problem of the BiB, how are they to earn a living wage?

With speed and traffic light cameras the vehicle registered owner normaly gets the ticket and the onus is on them to prove they were not the driver. If they prove this and present the drivers info then the court/police go after the driver. Every time I got one of these my picture was clearly visible so I could not deny it.

In the other newspaper there are more details.

If caught drunk driving they will lose license for 10 days (or something similar).

Second tme 20 days.

If caught FIVE times in ONE year they will lose their license.

What a joke.

These guys are responsible for the passengers' lives. There should be no leniency at all.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Reading most of the comments here confirms that most of the posters on this thread have NEVER driven in Thailand and have no idea what's going on. I'll say this: In the last three weeks the police have been much more active, particularly in terms of looking for drunk drivers, which is a welcome change. They used to only set up checkpoints Thursday-Saturday nights, but now it's every night and they stop every car talk to the drivers and if they suspect drinking they administer a breathalizer test. One Thai friend of mine tried to bribe his way out of it, but couldn't (even offering 5,000 baht). He ended up spending a night in the slammer and paying a 30,000 fine.

Also, in the past when I was a newbie driver here and afraid of bribing police, I was administered tickets on two occasions, so they really do write them if you don't bribe.

And I think you can believe it if the junta says it's going to crack down.

As for other serious moving violations, let's see. Thai cops are not good at policing the streets and nailing the real scofflaws who drive aggressively, drive on the shoulder, make illegal u-turns etc.

• Like 2

"Motorists violating Thai traffic laws face harsher action"

Doesn't see how this will bring back happiness into this country, what's next? Capital punishment for making a pee against a tree?

Going this way and Thailand will become as boring as the western countries.

Edited by Jack Mountain
  • Like 2

"Motorists violating Thai traffic laws face harsher action"

Doesn't see how this will bring back happiness into this country, what's next? Capital punishment for making a pee against a tree?

Going this way and Thailand will become as boring as the western countries.

Saving 20,000 lives a year is not boring Jack, the next life lost could be yours.

I admit that law enforcement contributes only a small amount to road safety, however here maybe more than in western countries people abide by some of the road rules to avoid fines particularly the use of seatbelts and helmets.

Edited by Oziex1

The cops should get commission after the tickets they have given out, and that would make a real difference.

That was post 555 from you LOL

So there was a Farang on a motorcycle, with all required paperwork and wearing a helmet.

Totally legal.

He was pulled over by a cop in Puket.

He was told to remove his helmet.

He was then presented with a fine for not wearing a helmet.

The farang spoke good Thai and argued.

He was told, pay the fine here and now or go to the station and pay more.

True story, Just sayin.....

Remember TiT

. . . And they are going to stop kids of ten and twelve driving bikes with several of their mates on the back - all with no crash helmets, of course. And they'll stop and fine bikers who yatter on their mobile phones and carry their pooches under one arm. And they'll starting jumping on parents who cradle kids in their laps or let them stand and hold on to the handlebars of bikes. And, at a stroke, thousands of lives will be saved.

And then I woke up.

• Like 1