China praises NCPO even as US cuts military aid

webfact

China steps into the breach
THE NATION

Ambassador praises junta even as the US cuts military aid; Prajin says NCPO concerned about pressure from west

BANGKOK: -- China rushed to praise the military junta yesterday even as the US mounted pressure by cutting some military aid, leading to concerns over pressure from western allies.

Air Force chief ACM Prajin Juntong, who is a deputy leader of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), said the military rulers would "do their best" in response to the moves from the US, Australia and the European Union.

China's Ambassador to Thailand Ning Fukui told Prajin in a meeting yesterday that the coup has strengthened China's confidence in Thailand, notably in terms of economic cooperation.

"Under the leadership of NCPO chief Prayuth Chan-ocha and ACM Prajin, who oversees economic matters, China-Thai trade has been restored quickly," Ning said. "China will give importance to trade and investment with Thailand."

Early yesterday, Scot Marciel, the US State Department's deputy assistant secretary for East Asian and Pacific Affairs, testified before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific that Washington has blocked US$4.7 million (Bt152 million) in military-related assistance to Thailand.

The US has also cancelled high-level engagements, military exercises and training programmes with the Thai Armed Forces and the police. It has also halted the bilateral naval exercise called Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training and the bilateral Hanuman Guardian army exercise.

Washington continues to review other programmes and engagements and would consider further measures as circumstances warrant, Marciel said.

"Our hope is that this strong international message, plus pressure from within Thailand, will lead to an easing of repression and an early return to democracy," he said.

The US was also considering moving next year's Cobra Gold, one of the largest military exercises and a key element in the US strategy of pivoting power to Asia, he said.

However, Prajin did not think there would be any problem for Thailand.

"The Air Force already has regular exercises with countries like Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia," he said, pointing out that the US also benefited from Cobra Gold.

Sihasak Phuangketkeow, permanent secretary of the Foreign Ministry, said the US threat to cut aid and relocate Cobra Gold should not be a major cause for concern.

No official decisions have been made, he said.

"The Foreign Ministry will explain about this officially so society will not panic," Sihasak said.

The US, along with the European Union and Australia, are among the countries that have stepped up measures to condemn the military coup in Thailand. The EU suspended the signing of the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement with Thailand and halted officials' visits to the Kingdom.

It urged its members to review bilateral military cooperation with Thailand. Australia also downgraded military cooperation and imposed travel restrictions on the coup leaders.

In response to the mounting pressure from the West, Prajin said the NCPO was trying to create a good understanding about what it was doing, such as making people happy.

"I believe that foreign countries have a better understanding now. Things are going positively," he said.

Shortly after the 2006 coup, the US had similarly ramped up pressure against Thailand, but ties were normalised the following year, he said.

As the NCPO's point man for economic matters, Prajin was due to meet the South Korean ambassador today.

"The discussion will be about economic cooperation, and I believe there will be good news," he predicted.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-26

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh what a wonderful strategic move by the U.S. their power is already in question in this region and now that power is being further eroded by actions such as the ones in the O.P.

The price of politicians being supported by others money is indeed becoming more apparent every day.

• Like 2

Purely symbolic from the US: The blocked a measly $4.7 million in miltary related assistance..also please note that these figures include training operations etc (all the costs are included i.e. US personel transport, food etc) It's not like they were gonna give the Thai army cash...

US Sanctions on Thailand (Military) but this week signed up USA Egypt for huge military stuff and all within 12 hours he describes Egypt's meddling in the Australian reporter jailing as "a chilling and draconian sentence".

I like many Yanks and I like going to many parts of America, but I don't see how this Army guy is so evil and Thaksin is so wonderful Mr President ?

• Like 1

Well, isn't that just precious. A communist country praising a military dictator.

you forgot to add the fascist Suthep!!! Or the Serial killer in Dubai! Yawn!!!! US foreign policy coming back to bite itself again?

I usually support the US and think the Russians and the Chinese are wrong. But this time isn't like Syria or Ukraine or Tibet or Chechnya or Taiwan - this time the US is plain wrong to criticise the Thai Army for putting the problems right and getting results - FANTASTIC results!! Results that the Pheu Thai rabble could only dream about, for instance paying rice farmers without corruption. So Mr President and Mr Kerry, stop being negative about our FANTASTIC Army `government and see it for what it is - an improvement for ALL uncorrupt fair playing Thai people!!

• Like 1

Being an American I have the right to praise or criticize the actions of my government.

Washington continues to review other programmes and engagements and would consider further measures as circumstances warrant, Marciel said.

"Our hope is that this strong international message, plus pressure from within Thailand, will lead to an easing of repression and an early return to democracy," he said.

I expected a certain level of condemnation of the coup from the US but not to the extent displayed currently. I have yet to determine the true reasons for the US escallating the rhetoric and threats toward Thailand. Since 1949 the US has actively supported at least thirty eight coups or regime changes worldwide either by direct military intervention, CIA subversion or financial support even to the extent of replacing democratically elected governments with military dictators who favored US foreign policy.

Through communication with the American Embassy in Bangkok and other sources the US state department is fully aware of the events leading up to the coup. Compare the US reaction to their full support of the coup lead by the neo-nazis in the Ukraine where Sen. John McCain and Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland literally traveled to the Ukraine joining the protests. The US was not alone in the destabilization of the Ukrainian government. They were joined by Germany, France, Britain and other NATO powers. The new coup-led government was selected by a rump session of the parliament when many elected members could not show up to vote for fear of physical attack. It is filled with fascist and semi-fascist forces, as well as powerful billionaire oligarchs. The fascist forces promote hatred toward Russians, Jews, Poles and other minorities.

Something just doesn't add up here. The truth has a way of coming out in time. I guess we'll just have to wait until that time.

Where the United States is concerned - the truth takes a long time to come out - just ask President Kennedy!!

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but great move for China. If the US pulls out and moves the Cobra Gold event, China will just replace them with the Titanium Dragon and invite a whole new group of players. Russia maybe? Think carefully USA. You may be expendable at this point.

Edited by tomyummer

What a surprise, China seeks to make political capitol out of a rift between LoS and the US and if the roles were reversed the US would be doing exactly the same thing.

I wonder how many Thais will think it's wonderful to be the centre of attention from major powers without considering the potential consequences of being a pawn in an international game.

Smaller nations are always somebody's pawn.

What a surprise, China seeks to make political capitol out of a rift between LoS and the US and if the roles were reversed the US would be doing exactly the same thing.

I wonder how many Thais will think it's wonderful to be the centre of attention from major powers without considering the potential consequences of being a pawn in an international game.

Smaller nations are always somebody's pawn.

Yes always but they don't have to rush into sticking their neck into the noose.

Well Us needs to get their heads out of their <deleted> and look a little harder at the ramifications of imposing sanctions.. With China so near it would only take a meager offer of support from them to sway Thailands political relationships with foreign countries... Does America want to lose their place here in Thailand to the Chinese? It very well could happen if the US tries to interfere more in Thai politics and with this coupe... The Us should bow down to the Army for stopping a civil war and for trying to end the corruption here but since the US supports Thaksin and Yingluck this won't happen.... The Us has it's own idea of Democracy and if it does not benefit them they refuse to accept change...

Well it is about the contracts with Chevron that run out 2020 and Chevron has to give back just about everything they have in Thailand. So it is a must that there is corrupt government in power before this happens.

Recommend reading "Asia's Cauldron" by Robert D. Kaplan. While it's about the countries that from the main part of the South China Sea, there's an obvious connection to what happens in the rest of SE Asia.

China has its mitts deep in Myanmar, thank largely to a pointless sanctions regime that lasted many years. If they can add Thailand to their list of clients, it comes close to 'game over' for the US in this region.

• Like 1

US continues to isolate itself , while China quickly jumps in to make friends with those.

Gee I wonder who is the smart one here.

PS. Posters from US, do not take it personal , it's not you, it's your president and his administration .

Haha no I do not take it personally at all. But there are some points to ponder.

What no one in Thailand wants to even think about, is the fact that clearly America

no longer considers Thailand to have any importance what so ever . America

is in the middle of refocusing on the containment of China in the South China Sea.

Thailand has become nothing more than a bit player left over from the Vietnam war.

And if China was making moves to be my friend, I would start getting really worried

about what they want from me at the end. :-) After watching China rape Africa,

any country that wants to align itself with China is simply nuts.

That is one opinion, there are many others which I doubt you want to hear or will make you happy

US continues to isolate itself , while China quickly jumps in to make friends with those.

PS. Posters from US, do not take it personal , it's not you, it's your president and his administration .

Haha no I do not take it personally at all. But there are some points to ponder.

What no one in Thailand wants to even think about, is the fact that clearly America

no longer considers Thailand to have any importance what so ever . America

is in the middle of refocusing on the containment of China in the South China Sea.

Thailand has become nothing more than a bit player left over from the Vietnam war.

And if China was making moves to be my friend, I would start getting really worried

about what they want from me at the end. :-) After watching China rape Africa,

any country that wants to align itself with China is simply nuts.

That is one opinion, there are many others which I doubt you want to hear or will make you happy

I agree that I do not comprehend some of the actions of the U.S. government at times. I do think the military intervention here in Thailand saved lives. Were there other motivations supporting the coup? Without a doubt we all are aware of some other issues at play. Does the U.S. and other countries intelligence gathering have knowledge that is not known to many of us on TV? Without a doubt (I rush to add I do not put a lot of faith in this due to past faux pas) the issue is more complicated than most here are aware. As an educated American, I do not take any offense at questioning the wisdom of U.S. Government moves, in fact, I would join in the questioning. Please note, herein lies a critical difference in my belief.....any citizen of the world has a right, nay, an obligation to question the moves of their government. Perhaps difficult for some nation's governments to accept.

All should keep in mind, there is a mutual interest here. Both the U.S. And China look to benefit their national interests but there is a very real Thai interest involved here. The Thais have historically very good at balancing competing other nation's national interests off against one another. Hope they can do so again. I would advise against embracing one of these nations to the exclusion of the other. Sorry, but as a student of history and supporting a John Locke versus a Thomas Hobbes view of the role of government I cannot support the Chinese Communist Party view of government. Security cannot trump liberty (and yes I see very clearly that the U.S. is moving in this direction, much to my dismay!).

• Like 1

Well Us needs to get their heads out of their <deleted> and look a little harder at the ramifications of imposing sanctions.. With China so near it would only take a meager offer of support from them to sway Thailands political relationships with foreign countries... Does America want to lose their place here in Thailand to the Chinese? It very well could happen if the US tries to interfere more in Thai politics and with this coupe... The Us should bow down to the Army for stopping a civil war and for trying to end the corruption here but since the US supports Thaksin and Yingluck this won't happen.... The Us has it's own idea of Democracy and if it does not benefit them they refuse to accept change...

Well it is about the contracts with Chevron that run out 2020 and Chevron has to give back just about everything they have in Thailand. So it is a must that there is corrupt government in power before this happens.

Where is the greater growing demand for energy? Why do you think the Chinese have claimed 80-90 percent of the South Chins Sea and are moving their oil platforms into contested waters in violation of international law? I think Chevron is the least of SE Asia's worries petroleum wise. " money talks, nobody walks (away)", corruption knows no favorites.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

oh what a wonderful strategic move by the U.S. their power is already in question in this region and now that power is being further eroded by actions such as the ones in the O.P.

The price of politicians being supported by others money is indeed becoming more apparent every day.

The US power has shifted, it has gone south to Australia, it doesn't need anything more than that, a reliable partner ,not like some others in the Sth East Asian Area.

• Like 1