NCPO goes on TV to list its performance

webfact

Junta goes on TV to list its performance
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The ruling junta yesterday went on television to tell the public about the steps it has taken to solve problems during its first month in power.

A special show, entitled "Monthly Summary of the NCPO's Performance", was broadcast on all television stations straight after the national anthem at 6pm yesterday.

The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), led by Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha, seized power on May 22.

In the programme, the NCPO claimed that the confidence of consumers and investors in Thailand had risen after the coup. It also said that it had taken many actions and put in place measures to resolve certain problems, and has also paid rice farmers the large sums of money owed to them by the ousted government.

The NCPO also said it had increased efforts to tackle corruption, drugs trade, mafia-like behaviour, illegal gambling and forest encroachment.

The programme also showed the activities that the NCPO held in different provinces as part of its effort to end political conflicts and bring about reconciliation. The programme also portrayed the positive reactions the NCPO's measures have received from the general public.

"However, many problems have accumulated over a long time and it will take time to solve them. There are many problems that the NCPO can't solve alone. We need cooperation from others," the announcement said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-26

• Like 2

All well and good. However it is the public's duty to remind the current ruling junta that the campaign they have initiated has to be ongoing as well and when such time comes as the junta returns power to a civilian majority dominated authority.

That authority must be a properly selected authority selected by a wide range of people from all walks of life and social levels. That authority must have a membership of people who have a desire to serve the nation and its peoples as opposed to their own assorted interests,.As Kennedy said, ''What can I do for my nation,as opposed to what can the nation do for me?''

That situation will take time, and if it is to work to the benefit of the nation and its people as a whole it must take time whether we like it or not, there must be a suitable time frame to allow for the easing in of a non military civilian majority administration, disregard the naysayers from outside the country, local knowledge and past experience(s) is are the foundation for progress.

If the new administration is established on weak foundations of whimsical promises and capricious whims all will be lost and Thailand will founder in a morass of corruption and a melt down of its fledgling democracy along with its social, business and financial structure.

Progress that is slow but sure will in time benefit all of Thailand's peoples and that includes my children and grandchildren along with many other members here on T.V.F. who actually have a stake in the future as well as solid roots in the past of Thailand.

Remember ''the Hare and the Tortoise fable of Aesop fame?

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

Did the Thai military address "accountability and transparency?"

I am also waiting for the annual show, entitled "Yearly Summary of the NCPO's Performance".

And the special special one call Diamond Jubilee of Prayuth rule. Very NK indeed.

• Like 1

Interesting article.

Wonder if Thaksin will consider coming back and fighting the 15 charges waiting for him?

Guess not because it would be hard to try and appeal the conviction for corruption having been a fugitive for so long; and there could be new charges filed as a result of all the investigations of activities under PTPs "leadership and governance".

Safer to wait for a friendly administration and hope for an amnesty bill.

• Like 1

I am also waiting for the annual show, entitled "Yearly Summary of the NCPO's Performance".

And the special special one call Diamond Jubilee of Prayuth rule. Very NK indeed.

At least he has something to report!

Do you remember PTP trying to avoid their report on achievements and progress to parliament. Think they only managed one, which had to be brow beat out of them.

They finally got their leader to make a very rare appearance in parliament and give an account. Nothing to report of course - but give her another 6 months, thank you three times. So tedious, all these rules, procedures and parliamentary checks and balances.

• Like 2

All well and good. However it is the public's duty to remind the current ruling junta that the campaign they have initiated has to be ongoing as well and when such time comes as the junta returns power to a civilian majority dominated authority.

That authority must be a properly selected authority selected by a wide range of people from all walks of life and social levels. That authority must have a membership of people who have a desire to serve the nation and its peoples as opposed to their own assorted interests,.As Kennedy said, ''What can I do for my nation,as opposed to what can the nation do for me?''

That situation will take time, and if it is to work to the benefit of the nation and its people as a whole it must take time whether we like it or not, there must be a suitable time frame to allow for the easing in of a non military civilian majority administration, disregard the naysayers from outside the country, local knowledge and past experience(s) is are the foundation for progress.

If the new administration is established on weak foundations of whimsical promises and capricious whims all will be lost and Thailand will founder in a morass of corruption and a melt down of its fledgling democracy along with its social, business and financial structure.

Progress that is slow but sure will in time benefit all of Thailand's peoples and that includes my children and grandchildren along with many other members here on T.V.F. who actually have a stake in the future as well as solid roots in the past of Thailand.

Remember ''the Hare and the Tortoise fable of Aesop fame?

Well said

Unfortunately the corruption lovers will be saying why haven't they done this yet they have been in power for a month what is the problem. There is no pleasing the corruption lovers.

• Like 2

Interesting article.

Wonder if Thaksin will consider coming back and fighting the 15 charges waiting for him?

Guess not because it would be hard to try and appeal the conviction for corruption having been a fugitive for so long; and there could be new charges filed as a result of all the investigations of activities under PTPs "leadership and governance".

Safer to wait for a friendly administration and hope for an amnesty bill.

I hope it is not true. Convicted criminals should not be allowed in politics.

He talked about going easy on the corrupt individuals. I sincerely hope he was talking for himself and not the army.

At least he has something to report!

Do you remember PTP trying to avoid their report on achievements and progress to parliament. Think they only managed one, which had to be brow beat out of them.

They finally got their leader to make a very rare appearance in parliament and give an account. Nothing to report of course - but give her another 6 months, thank you three times. So tedious, all these rules, procedures and parliamentary checks and balances.

If I remember correctly their report was give me six months.

If they do the excellent job like now, they should rule 1000 years! Never say any government as good as Prayuth. Second best the inefficient Surayut

How long have the military currently been in power?

How long were PTP clinging onto power?

See the difference in progress?

Looks like a good start by the military. Many involved with the previous administrations failures have been moved to inactive positions for starters. Looks like accountability is starting. There's more chance of transparency now too - unlike the secretive PTP.

You cannot really compare progress made between a civilian Govt and an military junta Government when there is no opposition, dissent allowed, opposition voices, legal challenges etc etc

They can obviously implement anything they want overnight with no discussion, reviews etc.

Its comparing apples and oranges.

I would say there are pros and cons of both.

For those who can't help themselves from congratulating 'super general' on all these mostly cosmetic improvements, I wasn't too surprised to see him saying this in a recent BBC interview.

"You will see the way we run things - we are not hunting Thaksin, as we did before. He is free to do anything. We would like to see him come back and fight the legal charges against him. If he is confident he can win, then he will be able to return to politics."

Note, if he can come back and win, he can play politics again... not if he comes back and is found not guilty. It's just another admission that there's a price for everything in Thailand regardless of what you have allegedly done in the past. The horse trading is already underway... not that it ever really stops.

Gen Prayuth resigns from TMB Board

It would seem as if leadership is certainly coming from the top.

Indeed a principled act the like of which never was ever seen or even contemplated or even allowed to happen under the assorted Shinwatra personal enrichment regimes.

Edited by siampolee

'... the NCPO's Performance", was broadcast on all television stations ...' Yes, which, as always included C222, as though many viewers of western films [movies] are going to be bothered with translating what is being said. And which, as always, saw True continue to show the film for the 25 minutes that the NCPO broadcast lasted ... 25 minutes into Dr No? Why bother to show it at all?

For those who can't help themselves from congratulating 'super general' on all these mostly cosmetic improvements, I wasn't too surprised to see him saying this in a recent BBC interview.

"You will see the way we run things - we are not hunting Thaksin, as we did before. He is free to do anything. We would like to see him come back and fight the legal charges against him. If he is confident he can win, then he will be able to return to politics."

Note, if he can come back and win, he can play politics again... not if he comes back and is found not guilty. It's just another admission that there's a price for everything in Thailand regardless of what you have allegedly done in the past. The horse trading is already underway... not that it ever really stops.

'... not if he comes back and is found not guilty ...' Last time I checked, he had already been found guilty. Why do you suppose he has spent the last several years in voluntary exile?

Looks like a good start by the military. Many involved with the previous administrations failures have been moved to inactive positions for starters. Looks like accountability is starting. There's more chance of transparency now too - unlike the secretive PTP.

You cannot really compare progress made between a civilian Govt and an military junta Government when there is no opposition, dissent allowed, opposition voices, legal challenges etc etc

They can obviously implement anything they want overnight with no discussion, reviews etc.

I know, it's amazing isn't it. When there are no politicians around progress is made and things actually get done.

• Like 1

I know, it's amazing isn't it. When there are no politicians around progress is made and things actually get done.

The problem is that things get done whether or not the general populace want them to change or not!

There is no choice, big difference.

More rubbish from Jonathon Head.

I emailed the BBC this morning and complained about it.

I bet whoever received your e mail at the BBC had a good laugh at that! You complained about what? Suthep Thaubsuban saying he had discussed overthrowing the government with Gen Prayuth many times in recent years? Gen Chatchalerm answering legitimate questions that were put to him? Such as," Everyone who is Thai and is qualified can take part in the election - even the family of Thaksin Shinawatra"? Hard as it may be for you to comprehend, that is Jonathan Head's job, to ask, and receive replies to questions like this. Perhaps in your little world you think that foreign correspondents in a country under military rule should only ask the Generals in charge what their favourite colour is, or who is their favourite pop singer!

. So tedious, all these rules, procedures and parliamentary checks and balances.

Why dont you get it? Why is it so hard to understand? What is wrong with you?

Now we have a situation with there are no check and balances, there is no accountability or transparency and therefore a system even more open to abuse. yet you support it? Hypocrisy much?

This is really basic political theory, you need to read a book or something.

'... not if he comes back and is found not guilty ...' Last time I checked, he had already been found guilty. Why do you suppose he has spent the last several years in voluntary exile?

Pay attention. Prayuth said "come back and fight the legal charges..." Prayuth never said come back and do jail time. Maybe Prayuth reckons the charges were real but the prosecution and conviction was flawed. Or maybe the whole thing was just a contrivance.

Edited by NanLaew