BUPA Sunshine Plan - do I need more ?

MrWorldwide

Hi All,

I'm a lazy sod, but generally in good health with the only real issues being the occasional night on the turps and a fairly ordinary diet. I dont smoke or ride a motorbike and at 55 I dont see myself needing any elective surgery but I'd like to be covered in case of accident or disease here in Thailand. BUPA's 'Sunshine' plan appears to meet my requirements but I have no idea what it costs for a Farang in a Thai hospital - hoping Sheryl or someone else can comment on these numbers. For example, would 8k baht a day be enough in Pattaya or Bangkok (assuming I dont end up in Bumrungrad) ? Please ignore the 'monthly' dropdown box - seems to have happened during the copy-and-paste.

Thanks,

MrWW

Benefits
(In-patient and Day Case)
spacer.gifSunshine
฿28,201 monthly yearly ENQUIRY / PURCHASE spacer.gifRoom & Board per day including nursing service (maximum payable per day) 8,000 ICU room & Board per day including nursing service (Maximum payable per day) 16,000
b-bullet.png Hospital services
Full Cover
b-bullet.png Surgical fee
Full Cover
b-bullet.png Doctor's visit
Full Cover
b-bullet.png Energency OPD treatment- first visit within 24 hours of emergency
10,000 Overall maximum inpatient benefit 1,000,000
( Maximum per disability ) Personal accident (Orbor 2) 100,000 Region of Coverage Thailand only

Do I get it right, or am I mixing up the things, roughly 340.000 Baht per year for the insurance?

Or 3.4 Million in 10 years?

That would be the part where I said ignore the 'Monthly' dropdown - on the form, thats a Yearly figure but they give you the option to change it, presumably to see what it costs if you elect to pay monthly. Not sure why Windows decided it should paste as 'Monthly' when I copied 'Yearly' but that's what happened.

Do I get it right, or am I mixing up the things, roughly 340.000 Baht per year for the insurance?

That would be the part where I said ignore the 'Monthly' dropdown - on the form, thats a Yearly figure but they give you the option to change it, presumably to see what it costs if you elect to pay monthly. Not sure why Windows decided it should paste as 'Monthly' when I copied 'Yearly' but that's what happened.

So 28.000 per year, right?

(excuse my ignorance, but I have no insurance at all, neither for retirement, health, or house, so I have no clue how much it is).

So 28.000 per year, right?

(excuse my ignorance, but I have no insurance at all, neither for retirement, health, or house, so I have no clue how much it is).

That's the figure I'm going with, given that this is their least expensive healthcare plan - if it proves to be otherwise, I'll update this thread.

The problem is the 1 mill cap per admission. A catastrophic illness or accident will vastly exceed that. Platinum plan 5 mill is my recommendation unless you are willing to use only govt hosps in which case Platinum 2mill could suffice. Any added advantage to platinum is that it cpvers you abroad ad well i.e if you travel around the region. Everywhere but the usa

Thanks Sheryl - I plugged my age - 55 - and 'Class 1' (basically sedentary office worker class) into the BUPA 'Get a quote' form and it came back with three choices - this time I quoted me the monthly premium. Based on this, and your own assessment, Platinum 2 would appear to be the best 'hedging' strategy for someone like me who doesnt ride a motorbike - I admit that I'm cheap but I take your point re being hit with 2million+ in hospital and doctors fees. Thanks again.

Benefits
(In-patient and Day Case)
spacer.gifPlatinum 1
฿3,687 monthly yearly ENQUIRY / PURCHASE spacer.gifPlatinum 2
฿4,069 monthly yearly ENQUIRY / PURCHASE spacer.gifPlatinum 3
฿4,782 monthly yearly ENQUIRY / PURCHASE spacer.gifRoom & Board per day including nursing service (maximum payable per day) 8,000 10,000 12,000 ICU room & Board per day including nursing service (Maximum payable per day) 16,000 16,000 16,000
b-bullet.png Hospital services
Full Cover Full Cover Full Cover
b-bullet.png Surgical fee
b-bullet.png Doctor's visit
b-bullet.png Energency OPD treatment- first visit within 24 hours of emergency
10,000 15,000 20,000 Overall maximum inpatient benefit 1,000,000
( Maximum per disability ) 2,000,000
( Maximum per disability ) 5,000,000
( Maximum per disability ) Personal accident (Orbor 2) 100,000 100,000 100,000 Region of Coverage Worldwide Cover (Except in USA) Worldwide Cover (Except in USA) Worldwide Cover (Except in USA) No advance payment for hospital in network b-right.pngb-right.pngb-right.pngEmergency medical assistance b-right.pngb-right.pngb-right.pngAnnual check up b-right.pngb-right.pngb-right.png

Anyone know what the yearly fee for Platinum plan would be?

What would be max age limit if they have one?

I tried to plug '69' into the quote form and it told me 'You must apply to Bupa before the age of 66' so I guess thats your answer. Using 65 as the age and the aforementioned 'Class 1' to indicate that I spent my working life at a desk, the yearly figures are as follows:

Platinum 1 (1 million baht total cover) - 70852

Platinum 2 (2 million baht total cover) - 78218

Platinum 3 (5 million baht total cover) - 91846

To experiment with your own variables, just select 'Platinum Plan' from the menu on the right hand side of this webpage:

http://bupa.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/individual/index.aspx#.U6zBDvmSySo

MrWorldwide

From reading your post you are living in Thailand - not here on holiday ? If that is the case then the Sunshine plan is not suitable as only for 6 months.

FYI the premium for a 55 year old for Platinum 5m is 56k Baht.

There are many other companies & plans out there e.g. an Allianz plan for a little less premium but with 15m Baht of full cover.

Should you need help / quotes please go HERE

Thanks Sheryl - I plugged my age - 55 - and 'Class 1' (basically sedentary office worker class) into the BUPA 'Get a quote' form and it came back with three choices - this time I quoted me the monthly premium. Based on this, and your own assessment, Platinum 2 would appear to be the best 'hedging' strategy for someone like me who doesnt ride a motorbike - I admit that I'm cheap but I take your point re being hit with 2million+ in hospital and doctors fees. Thanks again. ....

Just make sure you don't get admitted to one of the higher end private hospitals for anything major, or if you do, that you transfer on out ASAP because even 2 million won't go far if you need multiple surgeries, prolonged ICU care, etc.