Street dogs chasing me when I ride on my bicycle

Muggi1968

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) The pepper spray is going to disperse in the air. It likely will not spray them full on unless they are close. They will simply get a little irritation. It disperses better then table salt so you won't miss. Make sure you have a nozzle on the spray that helps to ensure it doesn't come in your direction.

2) When I lived in Hua Hin I had a bike and the same problem. So, I bought a ton of cheap chicken sticks. I bought a whole bunch so I got the fatty ones for 3 Baht a piece. I spent quite a while just peddling around the dogs and throwing chicken at them. I had no problems after that and occasionally carried chicken sticks to keep the relationship solid.

Why didn't you just give them some money and send them to KFC ?

You are a blooming genius, Sout.

Great idea.

No brainer. It's gotta be the Glock. Let off a few rounds from the bike as they are chasing you.

No brainer.

One needs to be careful when being sarcastic on Thai Visa. In some cases, a "no brainer" may literally be the case among some of the literalists here.

The dogs may think the one on a bike is a mailman. Mailmen and dogs are hardwired at birth to be enemies.

247809_441388259245504_1503055326_n_zps2

They have taught Australian mailmen to give treats. It seems to work.

1) The pepper spray is going to disperse in the air. It likely will not spray them full on unless they are close. They will simply get a little irritation. It disperses better then table salt so you won't miss. Make sure you have a nozzle on the spray that helps to ensure it doesn't come in your direction.

2) When I lived in Hua Hin I had a bike and the same problem. So, I bought a ton of cheap chicken sticks. I bought a whole bunch so I got the fatty ones for 3 Baht a piece. I spent quite a while just peddling around the dogs and throwing chicken at them. I had no problems after that and occasionally carried chicken sticks to keep the relationship solid.

Why didn't you just give them some money and send them to KFC ?

You are a blooming genius, Sout.

Great idea.

I just offer them a one way ticket to Cambodia......they run then.

I actually am a ton of fun at Songkran. I live in Pattaya and it goes on for days. I spent no more than a couple hours in my condo on our actual Songkran day. wink.png Hit up Walking Street that night…was bored to tears there. Walked from NaKlua to Jombtien and back. Was a blast, but I was cold. Songkran in Pattaya is not for sissies.cowboy.gif It's for cowboys and cowgirls! Save a horse!

You might have to use your imagination as to why I had to use pepper spray on a motorbike driver. Or, maybe you don't. But, I hope you do…it wasn't because he overcharged me. It involved a trip to the hospital and a police report. Didn't even happen in Pattaya, it was Hua Hin. But, it can happen anywhere in the world. On a serious note, pepper spray isn't a bad thing to be without when you need it. I would definitely use it on a dog trying to bite me. No hesitation. My friend got bit by a Soi Dog and had to spend 5 days in Bangkok Hospital. It went infected so fast. Was awful. He even was at Bangkok Hospital within 10 minutes of the bite and his hand infected over the course of hours.

Sorry to hear about that...I hope you are OK now.

Good to see you did not run back to your other country.

I jumped to this thread because I am currently dealing with the soi dog issue. I run a number of kilometers every day and generally have no problems. Yet 3 times in the past week I was nearly attacked. What I have learned in life and here in Bkk is generally what the guy in the first video advises- never turn your back, never run, and don't let them get in behind you. So I notice they often let me pass as if they are tricking me, then slide in behind me and close the distance. Wow! Requires constant vigilance. I've noticed a bunch do this. As I am going down a street, where I see a number ahead, I began rolling my arms during my jog, in circle, making myself appear large. As I close (but not too close in case it doesn't work) I let out a loud scream! Yea, i know, but it works each time- Hrmm, except once.

I decided to try those ultrasonic dog repellers. I ordered from Aliexpress (cheaper than DHGate) and since they were so cheap I got 4 for slightly more than one would cost on DHGate- enroute. I figure I will try them all and use the best for running, and keep others around house and in car. (My father in law is terrified of soi dogs; perhaps I'll give him the one I don't want to use :-)).

Warning, it is reported that not all dogs respond to this. Perhaps the older dogs have decreased hearing like the old geezers on TV. Wish me luck because shortly I am going to be a soi dog zapping mofo!

Remember, a pack of dogs can kill a man without much effort.

How many men killed by dogs in Thailand in the past 10 years?

Mother Nature Network article on the internet, the most likely animals to kill you, are 1) mosquitoes, 2) hippos, 3) deer, 4) bees, 5) dogs, 6) ants, 7) jellyfish, 8) cows, 9) horses, 10) spiders, and 11) rattlesnakes.

Thailand doesn't have rattle snakes.

and no Hippos at allcheesy.gif smart comment thumbsup.gif

I jumped to this thread because I am currently dealing with the soi dog issue. I run a number of kilometers every day and generally have no problems. Yet 3 times in the past week I was nearly attacked. What I have learned in life and here in Bkk is generally what the guy in the first video advises- never turn your back, never run, and don't let them get in behind you. So I notice they often let me pass as if they are tricking me, then slide in behind me and close the distance. Wow! Requires constant vigilance. I've noticed a bunch do this. As I am going down a street, where I see a number ahead, I began rolling my arms during my jog, in circle, making myself appear large. As I close (but not too close in case it doesn't work) I let out a loud scream! Yea, i know, but it works each time- Hrmm, except once.

I decided to try those ultrasonic dog repellers. I ordered from Aliexpress (cheaper than DHGate) and since they were so cheap I got 4 for slightly more than one would cost on DHGate- enroute. I figure I will try them all and use the best for running, and keep others around house and in car. (My father in law is terrified of soi dogs; perhaps I'll give him the one I don't want to use :-)).

Warning, it is reported that not all dogs respond to this. Perhaps the older dogs have decreased hearing like the old geezers on TV. Wish me luck because shortly I am going to be a soi dog zapping mofo!

Mother Nature Network article on the internet, the most likely animals to kill you, are 1) mosquitoes, 2) hippos, 3) deer, 4) bees, 5) dogs, 6) ants, 7) jellyfish, 8) cows, 9) horses, 10) spiders, and 11) rattlesnakes.

and no Hippos at all cheesy.gif smart comment thumbsup.gif

Since my quote wrapped up in middle of so much drivel I want to clarify I didn't write the asinine quotes about snakes and hippos. I advocate any tool that helps us ease out of a bad situation. Dogs do what dogs do. I have opposing digits; I should be able to navigate soi dogs without poisons, guns, fear of snakes or hippos, or any other poppycock mentioned previously.

I said I'd update as soon as my ultrasonic dog repellents came in. I bought 4 different models. Today I received three and tried the first on my young neighbors dog which barks constantly. As I neared while activating not only did the dog not run but it came closer wagging it's tail. Dogs 1 Repeller 0. I then tried on multiple dogs as I slowly drove a night errand. Out of roughly 10 dogs only one high tailed it. A particularly ferocious dog behind a fence was equally unimpressed. Tomorrow ill try another but first impressions mean a lot; I fear these devices suck for warding off soi dogs. Dogs 10 Repeller 1.

• Like 1

I like dogs too....but not the ones who chase you. You should have put a bullet in them already. What are you waiting for....rabies?

You hit the nail on the head.

I like dogs too, and I'm not afraid of them, but I don't like to catch any desease from them like rabies.

Is the same like with some humans, who don't like to listen, and still try threaten you, hit them and they will remember.

• Like 1

Ride faster or buy scooter or motorcycle or car - quite simple really.cheesy.gif

Or buy a Great Dane 70kg of dog is pretty intimidating, the best burglar protection ever.

Great Dane with 70 kg in action. hund001.gifwink.png

This not a great Dane more a Afgane or Barsoi wink.png

Ride faster or buy scooter or motorcycle or car - quite simple really.cheesy.gif

Or buy a Great Dane although at 35,000 Baht they are rather expensive.I had my 'Charly' for 8 years before he died ( they don't live very long either ) When i took him for walks not only did every street dog disappear, the Thais did as well, 70kg of dog is pretty intimidating, the best burglar protection ever.

35k! That's cheap! How good was the pedigree though?

I would not buy a big dog like a great dane in a hot country, this is why they not getting so old.

To much Pedigree leads to inbreed. wink.png a good crossbreed is much stronger.

A great dog and not so big, but very brave, is a Rodesian Ridgeback.

Unfortunatly I'm still not retired and can stay permanent in Thailand, but I will try after my retirement a crossbreed.

Rodesian Ridgeback - Thai Ridgeback

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Ridgeback

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Ridgeback

For sure I will getting great results.

This kind of dogs will defeat all these soi dogs, 1 is good enough for a whole pack of them.

These dogs good for hunting or house protection and a good family dog too.

They are used to hot climate.

Carpe diem wai2.gif

• Like 1

Or buy a Great Dane although at 35,000 Baht they are rather expensive.I had my 'Charly' for 8 years before he died ( they don't live very long either ) When i took him for walks not only did every street dog disappear, the Thais did as well, 70kg of dog is pretty intimidating, the best burglar protection ever.
35k! That's cheap! How good was the pedigree though?

I would not buy a big dog like a great dane in a hot country, this is why they not getting so old.

To much Pedigree leads to inbreed. wink.png a good crossbreed is much stronger.

A great dog and not so big, but very brave, is a Rodesian Ridgeback.

Unfortunatly I'm still not retired and can stay permanent in Thailand, but I will try after my retirement a crossbreed.

Rodesian Ridgeback - Thai Ridgeback

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Ridgeback

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Ridgeback

For sure I will getting great results.

This kind of dogs will defeat all these soi dogs, 1 is good enough for a whole pack of them.

These dogs good for hunting or house protection and a good family dog too.

They are used to hot climate.

Carpe diem wai2.gif

I used to have a Rhodesian ridgeback, great dogs but can be mean ba*stards, and you need quite a large property for them, your not exactly going to keep one in a BKK condo to kill soi dogs

Quite smart observance....

Forget about the cobras......

I think the Malaysian Pit Viper will be on the first place in Thailand...

They are the most anoying and deadly snakes we have around our house!

Often called the "lazy snake", because they do'nt move away when yo're walkng on!

RGDS Johan

You from the US by any chance ?

Easy solution stop riding your bike and buy a car

What a stupid post.

Only for people who have now humorkhammer.gif. Same the dog hund002.gif "butcher" Keesters. Hyaenen.gif

Why would you call me a butcher? Is that the best you can come up with (along with many childish icons) having failed to conquer my post with any decent logical argument.

On the contary I love dogs and have always had a cannine companion these last 30 years. But I don't like snappy, yappy, snarling dogs that run free on public streets pissing & pooping everywhere stinking up the place.

Dogs that chase cars, motorcycles and bicycles are also hated by me as they can and do cause accidents resulting in injury or loss of life to humans.

Anybody who LOVES those kind of dogs is not a part of the human race.

Humans FIRST...Canines SECOND

Owners of dogs in urban areas should have more consideration of their human neighbors and keep their pets off public land and behind closed gates on their private property.

Your apology is awaited.

A policeman called at my house the other day - said "We haves been receiving complaints that your dog is chasing people in the soi on a bike. I said "That is ridiculous, my dog doesnt even have a bike!"

=Keesters= That! is humor! clap2.gif

That I agree is humorous unlike so many of the other posts which you find funny. It is easy to hide behind a stupid post by calling it humorous when in fact it isn't. Humor is a very personal thing and nobody, including you, can dictate to people what is humorous. To even attempt at doing so is beyond stupidity coming close to insane.

A good heavy boot and kick them in the chops once or twice. They will stop chasing you. A big stick and hit them as hard as you can. A big rock and drop it on there head. If you are queazy about injuring a dog - it is unlikely these will. How about a dog bite. The dog does not worry about your potential injury. The only good dog is a D#$d dog. They defecate in front of your home. they bark and howl at will. They chase you on your bike. They harass innocent passers-by. They do not protect anyones property. A determined professional thief can easily get by a dog.

• Like 2

I am going to have to teach my dog to drive a car. Now that would be funny. Many thais would be insulted when the dog drives better than they do.

A policeman called at my house the other day - said "We haves been receiving complaints that your dog is chasing people in the soi on a bike. I said "That is ridiculous, my dog doesnt even have a bike!"

=Keesters= That! is humor! clap2.gif

That I agree is humorous unlike so many of the other posts which you find funny. It is easy to hide behind a stupid post by calling it humorous when in fact it isn't. Humor is a very personal thing and nobody, including you, can dictate to people what is humorous. To even attempt at doing so is beyond stupidity coming close to insane.

I actually am a ton of fun at Songkran. I live in Pattaya and it goes on for days. I spent no more than a couple hours in my condo on our actual Songkran day. wink.png Hit up Walking Street that night…was bored to tears there. Walked from NaKlua to Jombtien and back. Was a blast, but I was cold. Songkran in Pattaya is not for sissies.cowboy.gif It's for cowboys and cowgirls! Save a horse!

You might have to use your imagination as to why I had to use pepper spray on a motorbike driver. Or, maybe you don't. But, I hope you do…it wasn't because he overcharged me. It involved a trip to the hospital and a police report. Didn't even happen in Pattaya, it was Hua Hin. But, it can happen anywhere in the world. On a serious note, pepper spray isn't a bad thing to be without when you need it. I would definitely use it on a dog trying to bite me. No hesitation. My friend got bit by a Soi Dog and had to spend 5 days in Bangkok Hospital. It went infected so fast. Was awful. He even was at Bangkok Hospital within 10 minutes of the bite and his hand infected over the course of hours.

In the future you would be advised to say, you used pepper spray on a man instead of a motorbike driver unless you are trying to start an argument. Pepperspraying a person who was driving a motorbike at the time could end up as a murder of one or more people.

Edited by thailiketoo

A good heavy boot and kick them in the chops once or twice. They will stop chasing you. A big stick and hit them as hard as you can. A big rock and drop it on there head. If you are queazy about injuring a dog - it is unlikely these will. How about a dog bite. The dog does not worry about your potential injury. The only good dog is a D#$d dog. They defecate in front of your home. they bark and howl at will. They chase you on your bike. They harass innocent passers-by. They do not protect anyones property. A determined professional thief can easily get by a dog.

Do a lot of people where you live in Thailand wear heavy boots to go out walking or bicycle riding?

I didn't deploy the spray while driving. We were off the bike in a deserted area at that time. Out of curiosity, why would mentioning his occupation be perceived as argumentative. Feel free to PM this since it's off topic. I am curious. I'm not an argumentative person by nature so I might be slow on the uptake.

In regards to dog chasing bikers, is there any way of filing complaints? In Pattaya we have a call center for that.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Just stop and "talk" to the dogs. Dont show them any fear!!! Then they wont harm you!!

These dogs are very street-smart and chase you if you're afraid, not for anger but for fun.

Like they can smell it. I think it is some chemical you're transpiring when you're afraid.

If youre relaxed and not afraid, they'll be your friends and only bark for fun....

I'm not disagreeing with your recommendation. I just don't know if talking to a pack of feral dogs is a good idea.

But I do take exception with your reasoning. If dogs can smell fear, does it make sense for someone who is in fear to get off his bike and talk to those dogs?

I can act as calm and alpha as I want, but if I'm being attacked by a pack of strange dogs for the first time, I'm going to exude the odor of fear- not the odor of "relaxed and not afraid".

Maybe I'm going to parlay that fear into flight, or maybe into a whirling mass of kick-butt fight. But make no mistake, I'm going to reak of fear the first time. That's just human evolution at work.

There seems to be a disconnect somewhere in the logic...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Clip a cane to your crossbar. hold it when going down the soi, the sight of it will deter some, others that get too close...whack em !

Actually if you show a cane to my dog he will only get more aggressive, he will see it as a attack. But you do see a lot of Thais walking around with canes and stuff to keep dogs at bay.

Bring it on! I carried a length of water pipe on my bike ( I made a holster to carry it in ) which when I pulled it out made every dog that threatened me run away. I sometimes pursued them till they ran into their owner's property. Even when their owner's saw me threatening their dog, they just laughed.

I also carried several large stones to throw at them, but again, just the sight of the stone in my hand made the aggressive dogs run away.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Had one nearly bite me yesterday on my bike. Was riding with my daughter and one stopped suddenly, so I pulled in rapidly and startled a dog in its drive (gate open!). I was not quite stopped when I saw it, no threatening, it went straight for me and attempted to bite! I pushed the pedal hard and shot forward a little way, but turned around and headed straight back at it (my girls were behind following now, so I wanted its attention on me) - it run back inside. The owner was in the drive shouting at it angrily. If it had bit me it would have received a bloody good kick in the mush!

Had one nearly bite me yesterday on my bike. Was riding with my daughter and one stopped suddenly, so I pulled in rapidly and startled a dog in its drive (gate open!). I was not quite stopped when I saw it, no threatening, it went straight for me and attempted to bite! I pushed the pedal hard and shot forward a little way, but turned around and headed straight back at it (my girls were behind following now, so I wanted its attention on me) - it run back inside. The owner was in the drive shouting at it angrily. If it had bit me it would have received a bloody good kick in the mush!

Bit hard to do any damage wearing flip flops though!

Just stop and "talk" to the dogs. Dont show them any fear!!! Then they wont harm you!!

These dogs are very street-smart and chase you if you're afraid, not for anger but for fun.

Like they can smell it. I think it is some chemical you're transpiring when you're afraid.

If youre relaxed and not afraid, they'll be your friends and only bark for fun....

I'm not disagreeing with your recommendation. I just don't know if talking to a pack of feral dogs is a good idea.

But I do take exception with your reasoning. If dogs can smell fear, does it make sense for someone who is in fear to get off his bike and talk to those dogs?

I can act as calm and alpha as I want, but if I'm being attacked by a pack of strange dogs for the first time, I'm going to exude the odor of fear- not the odor of "relaxed and not afraid".

Maybe I'm going to parlay that fear into flight, or maybe into a whirling mass of kick-butt fight. But make no mistake, I'm going to reak of fear the first time. That's just human evolution at work.

There seems to be a disconnect somewhere in the logic...

Fear easily translates into anger - there are two low level states for us as with all animals: Fight or flight. Intelligence and experience tells us flight = bite in the arse. So, let the red mist descent and run shouting at the fudgers - they have the same flight or fight, they won't stop to sniff your pheromones, they see you as big and dangerous - they will run.

I agree though, stopping for a chat, is nuts at night. Might work during the day, but at night they are a pack - they rub off each other (pack mentality).

Bit hard to do any damage wearing flip flops though!

Yeah true. Often I do wear boots and jeans when I go shopping, where we were off to yesterday, but this time I did have on flip-flops and shorts.