San Miguel Beer Coming To Thailand

george

PHILIPPINES: San Miguel coming to Thailand

San Miguel is to branch out into Thailand. The Philippine company has confirmed that it is to set up its first brewery in Thailand, as part of a plan to spread its pilsner beers through the Asian market.

Following a report in the Bangkok Post earlier this week, saying that San Miguel will spend 3.7 billion baht (US$93.65m) on a new factory in Rayong, to the east of Bangkok, the company has confirmed the news.

San Miguel will compete in Thailand with strong local producers such as Thai Beverages PCL, maker of the top-selling Chang Beer.

The new brewery is the next stage in San Miguel’s strategy to spend $100m in each of seven markets.

San Miguel has overseas breweries in Hong Kong, China, Australia, Indonesia and Vietnam. The company is also seeking to push into Malaysia and Taiwan this year to propel growth.

--just-drinks.com 2004-03-10

You sure can't get any carlsberg right now, my regular place in PTY stocked up on loads of cases when i notified them of the news (As read on Thaivisa first :D )

They stil have lots of the stuff so I'm alright for a while :o

I agree that San Miguel might be a good addition as there is not much choice at the moment...

Heineken... Like f****ng in a canoe, DAMNED close to water...

Singha, Chang and Leo are on the opposite side, so strong (over 6% alc. content) you get a guaranteed hangover...

I really like Singha Gold, but it's not readily available in a lot of pubs

San Miguel to offer full range of goods

BANGKOK: San Miguel Corp, Southeast Asia's largest food group, will make and distribute its full range of food products and beverages using its first Thai factory, construction of which began yesterday.

Ramon Ang, vice chairman and president of San Miguel, made the announcement at a Bangkok news conference to mark the Manila-based business conglomerate's expansion into Thailand.

Ang said the Thai factory, located at Amata City in Rayong, east of Bangkok, would turn out non-alcoholic beverages such as fruit juices, soft drinks, energy drinks, milk, chocolate, ice scream and processed food.

"We expect the first product of San Miguel to be launched into the market by the third quarter of next year," said Ang.

Overall, San Miguel will be investing about US$100 million (Bt3.94 billion) in Thailand.

Over the next two years, it will enter the beer and spirits market in all segments.

San Miguel expects cumulative sales to hit $1 billion in the five-year period after the start of its Thai operations, Ang said.

Similar expansion would begin within the year in Australia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Taiwan, China and Malaysia, San Miguel said in a statement.

The company, owned 15 per cent by Japan's Kirin Brewery Co, has previously said it would spend $100 million in each of the seven Asian markets it is targeting.

The Rayong plant would make and distribute products including beverages, processed food and snacks, and animal feed.

The first phase will involve the construction of a non-alcoholic beverage facility, the statement said.

Thailand has "a huge beverage market, competitive investment and tax incentives, well-developed infrastructure and proximity to other target markets like Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar [burma]," San Miguel said.

However, analysts on Wednesday questioned the wisdom of the move, saying the company had yet to prove it could perform abroad.

--The Nation 2004-03-12

me drink like crazy last time

many years ago

customers was drink crazy

want business ?

must go

me now seen alot

of the going ons in drinking holes

booze - smoke and wine and dine

are more or less very much behind

the mind crave for more simple life

so me will stick to cheaper beer

and stay off the hard liquors

...halfway monk...

Here's something for you to try out next time you're in a bar...

Order a bottle of Heineken and a glass of water, position yourself to get some good backlight into that glass - say the fridge - put your thumb over the top of the Heineken bottle, turn it upside down and put the neck into the top of the glass of water, remove your thumb and watch all the oily, greasy, funky sh.t slide out of your beer - it'll take approximately 2 minutes to empty out, your Heineken will then taste bland - hey presto, Rolling Rock!

Here's something for you to try out next time you're in a bar...

Order a bottle of Heineken and a glass of water, position yourself to get some good backlight into that glass - say the fridge - put your thumb over the top of the Heineken bottle, turn it upside down and put the neck into the top of the glass of water, remove your thumb and watch all the oily, greasy, funky sh.t slide out of your beer - it'll take approximately 2 minutes to empty out, your Heineken will then taste bland - hey presto, Rolling Rock!

Sounds foul FTH....foul indeed :o

Guest timbee

beer only tastes as good as the water it is brewed from ... ergo, there is no good beer in thailand ... purists stick to whiskey/whisky ... but not from mekhong water: as with beer, whiskey only tastes as good as the water ...

imported philippine san mig is great, but skip the hk stuff