Vientiane run 2xtourist

Stressed out I got ready for the run a few days ago. Decided to take a more experimental route than normal, taking the 407 bus overnight up from Pattay to Nong Kai, tuk-tuk to the bridge. Thought I'd sleep in the VIP seats on the VIP bus. It was quite comfy but sleeping was tricky, unless you're a real heavy sleeper I wouldn't recommend it. Does arrive 06:30 which is handy but I would stick to the Bangkok - Udon flight 200 baht mini bus - bridge route.

So I have a "dirty" passport. Saw it down soi 6 last week - on the wrong side! Only joking, but I have just done 3x Visa exemption back to back, previous tourist visas, many previous 30 day runs. I did have a non-imm B and WP up to March which might have helped but then I also have 2 overstays this year for 3 and 2 days respectively (stupid mistakes one by me one by my previous employer). Many cambodian visas, writing, all that.

Stayed at the Dong...... hotel across from the consulate. Visa app went smoothly as expected, don't think they have a problem giving the visas, just whether you can use them is the question.

Headed back the next day, obvious runner, got to immigration filled in the arrive depart card in the queue hardly had time to finish it in fact left off the visa number handed over the passport and card, said "I have visa" and no worries through I went without as much as a question.

So there you go. Maybe I got lucky, maybe they decided that stopping people with a genuine tourist visa because you don't like the way they look might not be so good for the tourist industry or international law (probably not that one), or maybe they decided to wait until August but it was all smooth and easy for me. Even managed to get Nok Air shuttle to the airport and did a walk on to DM. Not doing that bus again.

Hope that's useful.

• Like 1