Yingluck's wealth rose by Bt33m while in office, anti-graft body says

Lite Beer

And everyone seems to think she is / was some sort of bimbo obviously a smart business cookie if she can make that sort of money while keeping down her full time job as PM well done Yingluck good on you, and not one setang gained by corruption or I am sure that would have been the main headline.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The family was exceedingly wealthy before Thaksin mugged the telecoms industry though. But the fact is she did work for those same telecoms companies and from all accounts was active and successful so reimbursement was based on performance, not just being family (apparently).

So active and successful that when Thaksin sold his business to Singapore, her position as president of the company, was done away with altogether.

When you say "from all accounts", whose accounts are you referring to?

So that would be 2006, when you say the position of President of AIS was done away with altogether?

I'm sure Mr. Wichian Mektrakarn will be most upset to hear that, seeing as took over as President of AIS from Yingluck in 2006.

http://investor.ais.co.th/Document/Annual_report/007ManagementTeamandSummaryofProfileoftheDirectorsandManagementsTeam.pdf

(Annual Report 2007)

Wichian Mektrakarn

Chief Executive Officer, Advanced Info Service Public (AIS), Thailand

BSc (Hons) in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, California Polytechnic State University. Since 2011, Member of the Executive Committee, Shin Corporation. With Advanced Info Service: 2000-03, Vice-President, Engineering; 2003-06, Executive Vice-President, Operations; 2006-09, President; since 2009, Chief Executive Officer; 2010-12, Acting Chief Marketing Officer.

http://www.weforum.org/contributors/wichian-mektrakarn

As far as her work experience is concerned, here it is

Secretary/Director of Thaicom Foundation since 2006

Chairman of the Board of OAI Asset Co., Ltd., Up Country Land Co., Ltd. and V.Land Property Co., Ltd. since March 1, 2006

Manager at Shinawatra Directories Co., Ltd from 1991 to 1994 and as General Manager from 1995 to 1996

Vice President at Shinawatra Directories Co., Ltd from 1997 to 1998 and as Executive Vice President, Service Operation at Advanced Info Service PLC from 1999 to 2001

Director of SC Asset Corporation Public Company Limited since March 1, 2006.

Acting President of SC Asset Corporation Public Company Limited since December 1, 2006 and its Acting Senior Vice President of Business Development

Executive President, Acting Chief Executive Officer and Secretary of SC Asset Corporation Public Company Limited until June 30, 2011

Senior Executive Vice President, Wireless Corporate Planning of Advanced Info Service Public Co., Ltd. from 2001 to 2002

President of Wireless Communication of Advanced Info Service Public Co., Ltd. since 2002

President of Advanced Info Service Public Co. Ltd. from 2002 to March 1, 2006

She completed a Master's Degree in Business administration from Kentucky State University, USA. She also completed Director Accreditation Program (DAP) Class in 2006, Finance for Non-Finance Director (FND) Class in 2006 and Director Certification Program (DCP) Class in 2006 at Thai Institute of Directors.

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=3733926&ticker=SC:TB

Edited by fab4

And everyone seems to think she is / was some sort of bimbo obviously a smart business cookie if she can make that sort of money while keeping down her full time job as PM well done Yingluck good on you, and not one setang gained by corruption or I am sure that would have been the main headline.

cheesy.gif

Former PM Yingluck's wealth went up a mere 5% which is hardly damning as she did what she did out of loyalty for her brother and not for the money.[/size][/font][/color]

She's loyal to her brother because she owes him. It's thanks to him that she has all the money and privilege that she does. Would she have been loyal to him had he not shared his wealth and success with her? I somehow doubt it.

First thing, do you have evidence or proof that all of her wealth is due to her brother? Do you? Or are you just jumping on that bandwagon that blames everything on Thaksin? And yes, she most likely would remain loyal to Thaksin in any situation as he is her elder brother and in Thai families the respect thing starts with the senior members (parents etc first), and most successful members of the family.

Alwyn, you seem to be forgetting that we are talking about a woman who became Prime Minister of a country with zero/zip/zilch political experience, not exactly your everyday successful business woman.

• Like 2

So I see another bias article aimed at yingluck to smear her and her family!

Oh yes the yellows once again will go into overdrive with these headlines.

For a more balanced article please refer to the BP as it gives full disclosure of her and husbands assets during her time as the democratically elected prime minister.

On a side note also please refer to the article in the BP on what the media is trying to establish on what they can report on and what they can't.

Shouldn't worry the nation as it's just a stooge yellow paper with feel good headlines trying to persuade the world that everything is all good.

Pity that the world sees right through these empty articles as nothing but propaganda!

Oh and I see the good general has told sutep to shut up about how he and the general colluded since 2010 to bring this about!

Not my words just check out the BP.

Of course it is colussion,and a set up to get the yellows in power,no vote yellows get in, simple isnt it. The general retiring from the army this year,he takes over as pm, due to him giving away so many flowers,and smiles, a total set up.

So active and successful that when Thaksin sold his business to Singapore, her position as president of the company, was done away with altogether.

As far as her work experience is concerned, here it is

Secretary/Director of Thaicom Foundation since 2006

Chairman of the Board of OAI Asset Co., Ltd., Up Country Land Co., Ltd. and V.Land Property Co., Ltd. since March 1, 2006

Manager at Shinawatra Directories Co., Ltd from 1991 to 1994 and as General Manager from 1995 to 1996

Vice President at Shinawatra Directories Co., Ltd from 1997 to 1998 and as Executive Vice President, Service Operation at Advanced Info Service PLC from 1999 to 2001

Director of SC Asset Corporation Public Company Limited since March 1, 2006.

Acting President of SC Asset Corporation Public Company Limited since December 1, 2006 and its Acting Senior Vice President of Business Development

Executive President, Acting Chief Executive Officer and Secretary of SC Asset Corporation Public Company Limited until June 30, 2011

Senior Executive Vice President, Wireless Corporate Planning of Advanced Info Service Public Co., Ltd. from 2001 to 2002

President of Wireless Communication of Advanced Info Service Public Co., Ltd. since 2002

President of Advanced Info Service Public Co. Ltd. from 2002 to March 1, 2006

She completed a Master's Degree in Business administration from Kentucky State University, USA. She also completed Director Accreditation Program (DAP) Class in 2006, Finance for Non-Finance Director (FND) Class in 2006 and Director Certification Program (DCP) Class in 2006 at Thai Institute of Directors.

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=3733926&ticker=SC:TB

Not sure what the purpose of quoting her work experience was, unless you did so to back up my point about her achievements coming thanks to family connections.

As far as the president of ais business is concerned, my understanding is that when she was president, there was also a CEO position below her. When Temasak took over, the two positions were essentially rolled into one. It was a long time ago though and knowing you as the Yingluck fanatic that you are, I bow to your superior knowledge.

Alwyn stated that from all accounts she was active and successful. You replied to him asking what accounts he was referring to. I provided her work experience as an example of those "accounts". I don't think she spent that time in those positions doing sweet FA - no doubt you will disagree.

As far as regarding me as a Yingluck fanatic, not at all. I just use search engines, it's not that hard - but that's because I like to make sure what I am posting is correct not just post something that is controversial because it suits ones bias.

• Like 1

For a more balanced article please refer to the BP as it gives full disclosure of her and husbands assets during her time as the democratically elected prime minister.

On a side note also please refer to the article in the BP on what the media is trying to establish on what they can report on and what they can't.

Shouldn't worry the nation as it's just a stooge yellow paper with feel good headlines trying to persuade the world that everything is all good.

Pity that the world sees right through these empty articles as nothing but propaganda!

Oh and I see the good general has told sutep to shut up about how he and the general colluded since 2010 to bring this about!

Is it necessary to declare assets in other countries ... just asking

Yes it is and any investments in Canada must be put into a trust that they and their family have no access to.

They also have to outline each investment adn company that they have interest in and believe me in Canada it is closely watched.

In the US I think it is sort of the same but not sure i know the opposition keeps a close eye on things.

Mind you that all those figure that are showing here are the KNOWN figures out there in the open,

no way of telling how much money is hidden under all sorts of proxy, friends, relatives and overseas

accounts.....

Or how much the Shin clan took out in those mountains of suitcases back in 2006. One lesson of that coup was that smart (would-be) ruling elites don't keep their most valuable assets in Thailand, but make sure they park their little nest eggs in overseas bank accounts, far from the prying eyes of the AEC. That's why I don't believe the figures used for estimating Thaksin's net worth for Forbes magazine for one moment. How many "Ample Rich"-type SPV's has he got scattered around, I wonder?

• Like 2

Yingluck's wealth is mostly from stocks she holds in many firms, including SC Asset Corporation, which rose in value during her tenure.

So if this is the main reason for her gain in wealth, then why is there a slant in the article which implies that her rise in wealth is from corruption? This article does nothing except fuel the propaganda for the PDRC, I think what everyone really wants to see is hard facts proving her misconduct beyond a reasonable doubt.

I see no slant or propaganda, The word corruption is never once used. As we all know these numbers are simply what the people stated without any fact checking. Let's wait and see further down the road what turns up....

The family was exceedingly wealthy before Thaksin mugged the telecoms industry though. But the fact is she did work for those same telecoms companies and from all accounts was active and successful so reimbursement was based on performance, not just being family (apparently).

I know a lot of Singaporeans but I don't know a single one that would much other than Singaporeans at the top of their companies. If that was a play on words with the "accounts" - nice one!
Of course no matter how good she might have been at her job, the Singaporeans wouldn't have kept her on. That wasn't my point. My point was that the role she played in the company was abolished altogether. Suggests to me that it was likely just a figurehead position.

Still waiting to hear from you about all these accounts of her being active and successful. From who exactly?

Bloke down the pub told me, must be true!

Former PM Yingluck's wealth went up a mere 5% which is hardly damning as she did what she did out of loyalty for her brother and not for the money.[/size][/font][/color]

She's loyal to her brother because she owes him. It's thanks to him that she has all the money and privilege that she does. Would she have been loyal to him had he not shared his wealth and success with her? I somehow doubt it.

First thing, do you have evidence or proof that all of her wealth is due to her brother? Do you? Or are you just jumping on that bandwagon that blames everything on Thaksin? And yes, she most likely would remain loyal to Thaksin in any situation as he is her elder brother and in Thai families the respect thing starts with the senior members (parents etc first), and most successful members of the family.

Alwyn, you seem to be forgetting that we are talking about a woman who became Prime Minister of a country with zero/zip/zilch political experience, not exactly your everyday successful business woman.

The sum total of her political experience was the 6 weeks campaign to get elected!! Even Thatcher couldn't match that. Absolutely mental! But then again, it shows how much the voters didn't want the alternatives I guess, which is a sad state of affairs.

• Like 1

Alwyn stated that from all accounts she was active and successful. You replied to him asking what accounts he was referring to. I provided her work experience as an example of those "accounts". I don't think she spent that time in those positions doing sweet FA - no doubt you will disagree.

A list of the positions she has held, which incidentally all happen to be in family owned businesses, does not count as an account of her being active or successful in those positions. All it tells us is that she held the position, not what she did with it.

As for you not thinking she did sweet FA, well, she demonstrably did sweet FA as prime minister, so it seems highly likely she was equally as ineffective in the business roles which she had handed to her on a plate.

Perhaps though I'll be proven wrong when a big multi conglomerate comes in to snap her up as their head of operations. I mean, she does seem to be at a loose end these days, and with all her experience, she must surely be beating away multi million dollar offers for her services like flies.

"no doubt you will disagree."

So I was right. Still, anything to divert from your misleading statement, eh? Mind you, the fan club were impressed.coffee1.gif

Oh, how did the shares in those businesses do when she was in charge?

Edited by fab4

"those of her unmarried spouse Anusorn Amornchat"

Excuse my ignorance but what does the above mean? Is she divorced?

Never mind...just googled it. It means common law marriage.

There's no such thing as 'common law marriage'. You are either married legally, or you are not married.

Nor is there such a thing as 'unmarried spouse'. To be a spouse, you have to be married.

What the dimwits who wrote the article mean is 'living together', and if you want to be PC about it, they are 'partners' (Awful term - just live together and to hell with what anyone thinks).

But that would never do in Thailand, where face is everything, even though many people do it ...

Is it necessary to declare assets in other countries ... just asking

Obviously not in Russia for one.

Forbes reckon Putin is one of the world's richest men yet he claims he hasn't got a pot to piss in.

Yingluck's wealth is mostly from stocks she holds in many firms, including SC Asset Corporation, which rose in value during her tenure.

So if this is the main reason for her gain in wealth, then why is there a slant in the article which implies that her rise in wealth is from corruption? This article does nothing except fuel the propaganda for the PDRC, I think what everyone really wants to see is hard facts proving her misconduct beyond a reasonable doubt.

Thank you for putting this better than I could have put it.

Where are the facts of corruption? We all know it happens, but to put someone in a bad light without solid facts is irresponsible. What was the point of this article or the investigation and revealing of these people's wealth?

It's not an investigation ...MPs have to declare their assets to the NACC when they get elected, and again when they leave parliament (or it gets dissolved).That's routine, even in Thailand, nothing sinister about it. The NACC simply puts out a report, and the media publish it. Naturally Somchai and Freddy Farang are more interested in the PM and cabinet ministers than some unknown MP from Nakorn Nowhere, that's why Yingluk and co. are mentioned

• Like 1

I can understand your doubts because, as a Westerner, you do not have the same type of family structure nor is it as rigid as Thailand's. Unlike in the West, familial duty is still very strong in traditional families. Ms Yingluck is 'Nong' or youngest member of the family and was afforded certain protections and privileges. Those protections and privileges come with a responsibility to obey older siblings, especially the dominant sibling as Dr. Thaksin is. Yes, she benefited by being Nong to a successful businessman but she would have done what she did even if she had not been showered with 'gift' jobs and good pay all her life. Thainess.

• Like 1

I can understand your doubts because, as a Westerner, you do not have the same type of family structure nor is it as rigid as Thailand's. Unlike in the West, familial duty is still very strong in traditional families. Ms Yingluck is 'Nong' or youngest member of the family and was afforded certain protections and privileges. Those protections and privileges come with a responsibility to obey older siblings, especially the dominant sibling as Dr. Thaksin is. Yes, she benefited by being Nong to a successful businessman but she would have done what she did even if she had not been showered with 'gift' jobs and good pay all her life. Thainess.
Yes I'm not unfamiliar with the way Thai slash Chinese families tend to work, but I don't think it is always as rigidly stuck to as you suggest, and not all younger siblings are as beholden to their older siblings as you say. With parents and children that is a different kettle of fish. Parents must be obeyed. Sisters obeying older brothers? Not so sure about that. If the older brother was unemployed and uneducated, and the younger sister was a highly educated doctor, do you really think the older brother could command his sister to do as he pleases? Have my doubts.

In the case of Thaksin and Yingluck, I'm sure family cultural tradition plays a part in how duty-bound Yingluck is to him, but the way he has supported her as much as he has, I suspect plays a bigger role.

Yes I'm not unfamiliar with the way Thai slash Chinese families tend to work, but I don't think it is always as rigidly stuck to as you suggest, and not all younger siblings are as beholden to their older siblings as you say. With parents and children that is a different kettle of fish. Parents must be obeyed. Sisters obeying older brothers? Not so sure about that. If the older brother was unemployed and uneducated, and the younger sister was a highly educated doctor, do you really think the older brother could command his sister to do as he pleases? Have my doubts.

In the case of Thaksin and Yingluck, I'm sure family cultural tradition plays a part in how duty-bound Yingluck is to him, but the way he has supported her as much as he has, I suspect plays a bigger role.

You are quite correct that the practice is not universal. My wife (pure Thai) is in the middle of thirteen children and she is the dominant sibling. All of them defer to her in family decisions (me too, mostly).smile.png

Should a sitting PM have involvement in the financial market ?

At least her brother tried to hide his share holdings in the names of domestic staff, security guards and Daisy the family water buffalo.

What an inane question. If you've got wealth you need to manage it. Do you expect her to keep it in her local Siam Commercial Bank branch? It's normal to have a portfolio of assets, including shares. Having said that if she had kept her money in the local bank branch it would have increased by more than the 5%.

You are quite correct that the practice is not universal. My wife (pure Thai) is in the middle of thirteen children and she is the dominant sibling. All of them defer to her in family decisions (me too, mostly).smile.png

Quite and do you not think that if one of the thirteen children in your wife's family of siblings, happened to be one of the richest and most powerful business person in the country, that they would be the one calling the shots, no matter whether they were the youngest or the oldest, no matter whether they were male or female?

Quite and do you not think that if one of the thirteen children in your wife's family of siblings, happened to be one of the richest and most powerful business person in the country, that they would be the one calling the shots, no matter whether they were the youngest or the oldest, no matter whether they were male or female?

Quite possible. Where is this discussion headed? Are you wanting me to retract my original post? Have I not conceded enough for you? The OP was about Yingluck and she is Sino-Thai. I was giving my opinion based on the dozens of Sino-Thai families I know and the many discussions I have had with them on the very interesting topic of the role of 'Nong' in the pecking order of family structure. Any one of her older siblings would have the same authority over her as her brother, Thaksin, so your last point is moot. And NO, a Nong will NEVER be the dominant one just as the 'runt' of a litter of dogs will never lead the pack. It is ingrained from infancy to play the role of Nong. No other sibling is like the Nong. I 'get it' that you don't like my opinion. I am not disagreeing with you but offering a possible scenario to this forum. Let it go, please.

• Like 1

Quite possible. Where is this discussion headed? Are you wanting me to retract my original post? Have I not conceded enough for you? The OP was about Yingluck and she is Sino-Thai. I was giving my opinion based on the dozens of Sino-Thai families I know and the many discussions I have had with them on the very interesting topic of the role of 'Nong' in the pecking order of family structure. Any one of her older siblings would have the same authority over her as her brother, Thaksin, so your last point is moot. And NO, a Nong will NEVER be the dominant one just as the 'runt' of a litter of dogs will never lead the pack. It is ingrained from infancy to play the role of Nong. No other sibling is like the Nong. I 'get it' that you don't like my opinion. I am not disagreeing with you but offering a possible scenario to this forum. Let it go, please.
I don't dislike your opinion whatsoever, and I think in "normal" Thai families what you say is generally speaking true. I just happen to think in the case of the Shins, the fact that Thaksin is who he is, and the fact that Yingluck has been elevated by him so dramatically in terms of her station in life, plays a far bigger role in his ability to control her than cultural family traditions.

I don't dislike your opinion whatsoever, and I think in "normal" Thai families what you say is generally speaking true. I just happen to think in the case of the Shins, the fact that Thaksin is who he is, and the fact that Yingluck has been elevated by him so dramatically in terms of her station in life, plays a far bigger role in his ability to control her than cultural family traditions.

Have I ever disagreed with that being a real possibility? She, all her life, has been sheltered, favored, protected, and that would be the case whether she complied with her brother's wishes or not. Until 2011, she had not even been asked to do anything harder than to hold an executive position (with lots of advisers) within one of Dr. Thaksin's companies (AFAIK). According to the culture, as I understand it, she did not even have to be grateful because, with her status of Nong, it was her due. The question of, "Did she follow Thaksin's orders when she was PM because of gratitude or family loyalty/duty" is really not answerable by either you or me.

The question of, "Did she follow Thaksin's orders when she was PM because of gratitude or family loyalty/duty" is really not answerable by either you or me.

Bit late as I've already given my opinion as I thought had you. Anyway, it's really not something I'll be losing sleep about one way or the other and I don't think our opinions are that far apart.
  • Like 1

Looking at the asset amounts of the cabinet ministers, etc. I don't see any extreme wealth. Yingluck's assets amount to $20 million. Most of it in stocks, funds, etc. Where's the smoking gun here? Why all the debate in the press over an $80,000 watch sold before she took office. All the innuendos here by TV posters that the real money is hidden are just that - innuendos. There is nothing to point to this kind of thing. Why is it so difficult to believe that some wealthy people make money honestly and not by taking bribes while in government. Sure there are a lot of corrupt politicians in Thailand but as you can see from the published reports there is nothing extreme here particularly regarding Yingluck. I do wonder how a police general accumulated his money but maybe that is a simple answer too. I would be more interested in seeing the asset listings of the army generals. That might be even more interesting.

The whole thrust of everything going on in Thailand is to make the army look good and the politicians look bad (which I will agree many of them are). Basically Thailand has peaceful streets now but living under a military dictatorship. Anyone who doubts that this is indeed a dictatorship has his head buried in the sand. Absolutely no political discussion allowed. Somehow this army general in charge thinks that by not allowing dialogue, discussion, and descent he is helping Thailand. Anyone who thinks this will have a lasting effect is wrong. The political heavies are still around and once the martial law ends it will go right back to where it is today. Only way around this is for the military to continue to control things and make it look like there is a civilian government. Let's see how they manage that. There can be no respect for a military that puts soldiers in the street and just takes over the government. This has happened just too many times in Thailand and it is clear that the civilian government has little control over the military. Along with whatever changes are made in the next constitution (there will be some changes), there need to be changes made to define the role of the military in Thailand. Let's see that happen.