Dannok Immigration & Visa Run Driver Corruption?

This is my story of a recent visa run to Penang. My first such run using an agent as I usually do the runs myself. I am writing this in the hopes to get the attention of the relevant authorities to investigate this. I am also withholding the names of the individuals concerned not to jeopardize any possible investigation.

As I said, I used an agent to get my visa and was with a group of 10 people who all applied for ED, O or B visa's in Penang. All the people had the correct visa requirements and applied for the correct visa's. The visa's were all granted from the Thai embassy in Penang without problem. We set off for our border run back to Dannok. The company organizing the run was quite professional, and until now the drivers friendly.

Upon arriving at the border, one of the drivers told us we should put 200 baht in our passports to give to the immigration officer processing our entry. When one of the passengers asked why, the driver "informed us" that it is so that they give us the stamp quickly and if we did not put the money in the passport then the officer will ask many questions and "do a lot of bla bla bla" as he put it. The passenger continued to argue with the driver and said he will not put in the money as he never had to do so. The driver loudly said "up to you if you want problem, the money for officer not for me"!

Many other passengers got a bit worried and started to open their wallets. However, another passenger said he also never had to put money in, and that it would be extremely dangerous for those who choose to put this bribe money in their passport. After all, what if the officers are being watched? This would mean that the passenger attempting to bribe the officer could get caught red handed and could get into some very real, very big trouble! All the passengers agreed NOT to pay the bribe.

We all cued up forming two lines. We noticed the officers seemed to be processing the entries of other visitors, including a couple of Farangs giving them no problem at all. We all thought that this bribe request was unfounded because none of the other people queuing had the 200 baht in their passport and none seemed to be having problems. Of course, non of the other people were on this particular visa run either and were all individual travelers.

It was almost our turn now. One of the drivers stood on the side rail on the left, the other on the right. Just as the first passenger from our group was going to get processed, the driver on the left dissapeared and one of the officers told us to give him one minute! Less than a minute passed and both the driver and officer returned separately. While we did not see the two in conversation, we all think we knew what happened! I think anyone reading this knows too.

The officer seemed "surprised" that the passenger did not have anything else in the passport. He started being very, very difficult with the first passenger. Sure enough, one by one we all had to go through the two officers and were all subjected to various questions and "bla bla bla" as the driver had said would happen if we did not pay the 200 baht. Some were even made to go to speak to their "boss" for no reason. I suspect just to instill fear. None of us were asked by the officers for bribe money.

It took the two officers, who by now were verging on rude 45 minutes to process 10 passengers from this run. All of us got our visa and none of us paid the 200 baht. However, we were all very disturbed by this incident. Some of us have been living here for several years and have not experienced this before.

As I said, I am withholding the names. It would be great to name and shame, I know, but I think a proper investigation, especially with the current atmosphere of a clampdown on corruption, is better. I also do not think that the Visa run company in question is involved, but it would seem that the drivers might have come up with a racket of their own.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? Also, does anyone know the correct place to report these incidents under the new administration?

• Like 1

Where to report incidents of this nature? I seem to remember reading that the government has an ombudsman, but I have no contact details.

The website of the Immigration Bureau has an email address, but I understand that questions sent to that address do not get answered. They used to have and perhaps still have a blog or forum where they do answer questions.

In your case, the immigration officers did their job but they deliberately did it very slowly because the "facilitation money" suggested by the bus driver was not offered. Strictly speaking, the officers cannot be accused of dereliction of duty or abuse of power, but it is an irregularity nonetheless. It is more like what one might call "work to rule", selectively applied.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I would suggest that for a start you inform the management of the visa run company in writing, eg by email, optionally with a copy to the national Immigration Commissioner by email or postal mail.

What nationality are you and the other passengers?

When I did a visa-run to Penang a few weeks ago, on our return via Dannok, all Russian and Filipino passengers were advised to put 100 baht in their passports 'to avoid problems and delays with the immigration officer'. I (British), was not required to do this.

Simon

Edited by simon43

When I did a visa-run to Penang a few weeks ago, on our return via Dannok, all Russian and Filipino passengers were advised to put 100 baht in their passports 'to avoid problems and delays with the immigration officer'. I (British), was not required to do this.

Simon

As far as I could tell from the manifest there were 3 EU citizens, including myself and the rest were a mix of Russians and Ukrainians. In any case, whatever one's nationality no "bribe" should be asked. If the person has the right paperwork and there is no valid reason to deny entry, then entry should be granted. If on the other hand there is reason to deny it, then it should be denied.

The above scenario which happened to us has now been confirmed to me by someone else. However, more seriously, this other person was at first denied entry because of too many tourist visa runs. Lo and behold, 500 baht was paid to the officer and entry was granted with a smile. Incidentally, same border, different visa run group. Now I know this guy is not a bad guy, but I always thought immigration was there to stop bad people coming into the country. It would seem even a 500 baht "tip" or less can get you in though. So what is the point of the entire crack down? To make officers (and certain drivers) rich?

Of course, I am not expecting any of the visa runners who paid bribes to post here and say they did. I bet you there are many though.

• Like 1

It is obvious that there was collusion between the mini bus driver and immigration however as immigration did not ask you directly for any money then they have not committed any offence

I would put it down to experience and not use that minibus company again, complaining to the owners would be a waste of time

I would have simply ignored his request and not made a big issue of it nor got myself worked up about it as you appear to have. If you are planning on staying here for any length of time then get used to being asked for tea money. trying to complain about this isn't going to stop anything and is just wasting more of your time. Forget it would be my advice biggrin.png

Simon

Same here....only Russian and Korean passengers were advised to put 200 baht in the passports.

Others were not affected.

According to the latest crackdown the nationalities above are supposed to fly in after they get a visa in the region.

So the bribe is for crossing by road.

btw..there are other nationalities affected but I don't know which.

Just pay the money....unless you wanna be turned back and fly.

The company is actually doin us a favour.

Anti-corruption crusaders might want to move to Scandinavia.whistling.gif

Doing us a favor? I am European from an EU state which is not on the list, and I together with another two individuals from other EU countries were asked for the tea money. How long do you think it will be before everyone doing a run is asked for money? Yesterday I heard of an american citizen on a Non B being asked for it from a driver and being given a hard time for refusing - again same border crossing. And the more people do nothing about it, the higher the request will likely get. It is also not about the 200 baht. It's about the fact that anyone is being let in. I know, I know - anyone was being let in before, and the worst kinds of people will find a way in anyway, whether they have to pay 200 baht or 2 million. But come on guys, just sit back and accept it? Is that not what brought Thailand to the brink recently? Is that not what most people here on TV complain about? So yes, let's just all sit back and live the "mai pen rai" way of life eh? Let's just wait until it becomes really difficult to enter the country legitimately and then perhaps we could all consider moving to Scandinavia.

• Like 1

Where to report incidents of this nature?

Here; http://www.1111.go.th/

Thanks. I had forgotten that there is not only the phone number 1111, but also the website, and this looks like a good starting point for reporting an irregularity regarding an interaction with a government official.

So it appears the tea money was for illegal activity by the driver, and possibly the company. If the russians etc, should have flown in, instead of land, i would suggest the visa company are well aware of it

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed a inflammatory comment

Next time the OP would be better off doing the trip to by himself. The last time I did a Dannok in-out - - I exited Thailand ridding pillion on a motorcycle taxi entered Malaysia also riding pillion and had no trouble re-entering Thailand. Couldn't renter Thailand riding pillion, had to walk over and fill out the forms, while the moto-taxi guy waited. No problems and no tea money requests.

My paperwork and visa were in 100% order.

Do it yourself, and leave the dodgy visa run agents to their own.

Edited by 96tehtarp

This is nothing new - that crossing had such activity more than a decade ago when I used it - but in those days money was provided to driver who provided officials out of sight. As I traveled with my Thai wife was never asked but everyone else was.

Next time the OP would be better off doing the trip to by himself. The last time I did a Dannok in-out - - I exited Thailand ridding pillion on a motorcycle taxi entered Malaysia also riding pillion and had no trouble re-entering Thailand. Couldn't renter Thailand riding pillion, had to walk over and fill out the forms, while the moto-taxi guy waited. No problems and no tea money requests.

My paperwork and visa were in 100% order.

Do it yourself, and leave the dodgy visa run agents to their own.

Yes, and I stated it from the beginning, the issue is doing a run using an agent. It seems there is some arrangement between the drivers and the officers. If you do it as an individual there does not seem to be any demand. I have done the visa run numerous times on my own to dannok getting a taxi bike from the Thai side, and literrally U-Turning at the malay border and back in 10 minutes. Never any problem. This time I had absolutely no option but to use the services of an agent as I needed to go to the embassy in Penang