What plants from other country's can grow in Thailand ?

Sandman, why do you want to import seeds or plants from Austria?

First, I think it's illegal......although, not very sure about that and what plants it concerns.

Second, there are thousands of seeds and plants in Thailand, that can make your garden look very, very pretty.

have to be tropicals, doesnt matter whether flowers, fruit, vegetables or just ornamentals, they need to be able to handle the thai climate so cold climate ones will struggle here. Just look at any of the thai nurseries, they will sell everything that will grow here, I know I brought seeds from Australia but they will not grow the same as they did back there, they need to be suitable.

Just want try allready ordered!

You only think it's illegal? But not realy?

The eu want make da import ban , to boost there gen manipulated money profit , but not yet done !

This could mean the plants import also not allowed? I allready ordered my red bananna try!

Iam a friend of the try and error prinzip!

If I not try everything out I want do . I canot stop think about it, no matter what it is!

The eu want make da import ban , to boost there gen manipulated money profit , but not yet done !

This could mean the plants import also not allowed? I allready ordered my red bananna try!

If I not try everything out I want do . I canot stop think about it, no matter what it is!

Thailand-visa.gif

Thailand customs

Restricted

• Live animals – health certificate required along with complete and valid inoculations. Contact nearest embassy to obtain permission.

Plants, foodstuff and seeds– health certificate require. Check with the nearest embassy.

• Weaponry and ammunition – permission obtainable from Ministry of Interior. Check with the nearest embassy.

• Medication

• Foreign currency – any amounts need to be declared.

I brought some flower seeds over that would grow in Florida's tropical climate. Was told by the "experts" they would grow.....NOT...they all died. Turns out the soil is not correct. Has to have the right composition in the soil too.

• Like 1

Every time I go to Europe I bring back packets of seeds from a few different countries and sow them in my garden......I still can't tell which is which.....which are the Thai flowers and which are the Euro ones.....doesn't really bother me...............I just enjoy the different colors and couldn't care less where they originated.

• Like 1

You would be surprised to see how many foreign plants and trees are already out here.

European fig? No problem.

European strawberries,already here.

Just too many to mention, of course some plants will not grow because it is just too hot or the sun is too strong.

Many plants can take the heat but need shade.

Even plants from Thailand will not grow every where here.

When we get a new plant we place it in a large pot and just experiment where it will grow,sun or shade or halve shade.

We even seem some weeping willow doing really nice here.( have to get a twig)

I have brought several packets of seeds from Europe but not really been successful.The temperature is obviously a big problem and many plants just grow too quick and end up dying. Another problem is pollination, has to happen below about 35 degrees or the pollen becomes sticky.

No harm in trying, just try and keep cool.

There are very good reasons that many countries do restrict the import of foreign species, for example Japanese Knotweed in the UK- this is costing millions to control.

Saying that, I have a suspicion that not many flowers from Europe will flourish here, simply because of the lack of any real seasons .

We have brought in all kinds of packaged vegetable seeds from the USA. None of them grow including a dozen varieties of tomato plants. I brought in Valencia, Honey Bell and Naval orange plants in my golf bag, The naval died and the other two produce at most one orange a season. A Thai agriculture student came out and took grafts to put on Thai orange trees to see what will happen. He also said they should not be planted in the ground but kept in pots. We have a couple of local lime trees in the ground that produce nothing. We have one lime tree in a pot and it has about 50 limes. We have a Malaysian lemon tree in a pot that produces beautiful lemons. We have a couple of patio orange trees in pots that keep us in marmalade. Probably miss good old US tomatoes the most.

• Like 2

Pests come in on live plants, not seeds. That's where the danger lies. Seeds do carry fungus sometimes but if the seeds don't germinate the fungus dies. Fungus can't live if the host dies. One needs the other but each other. Also seeds are treated chemically to give better results so the chances of bring in foreign species are near zero. Since I have a brown thumb anyway, no chance anything I plant will survive.

We have brought in all kinds of packaged vegetable seeds from the USA. None of them grow including a dozen varieties of tomato plants. I brought in Valencia, Honey Bell and Naval orange plants in my golf bag, The naval died and the other two produce at most one orange a season. A Thai agriculture student came out and took grafts to put on Thai orange trees to see what will happen. He also said they should not be planted in the ground but kept in pots. We have a couple of local lime trees in the ground that produce nothing. We have one lime tree in a pot and it has about 50 limes. We have a Malaysian lemon tree in a pot that produces beautiful lemons. We have a couple of patio orange trees in pots that keep us in marmalade. Probably miss good old US tomatoes the most.

Hi Akentryan. Sounds good! What did you put in the pots to have such good growth? Did you buy bags of special soil? If so, which? Thanks...

Pests come in on live plants, not seeds. That's where the danger lies. Seeds do carry fungus sometimes but if the seeds don't germinate the fungus dies. Fungus can't live if the host dies. One needs the other but each other. Also seeds are treated chemically to give better results so the chances of bring in foreign species are near zero. Since I have a brown thumb anyway, no chance anything I plant will survive.

As was mentioned above, the problem would be if the plant that is beautiful in other countries becomes a weed here.

Importing live, growing plants with soil is a no no every where.

As you say, all manner of pests and deseases could be imported and be devastating to the local environment.

After four years of trying to grow UK variety tomatoes with total lack of success, I finally succeeded this/last year.

Started them off as soon as the cool season started and the rains finished. Planted in bags, so they could be moved around to avoid too much sun or rain. Not perfect, I must say, but am trying to grow organically so not as easy and am not very green fingered! I did have a reasonable crop but also some problems splitting. Also had a Thai variety which was OK too but marble sized fruit. Eventually had to move the plants under cover and they started to develop white mould and mottling of the leaves. Just too hot and humid now, so will start again next cool season! Have had pretty good success with lettuce leaves, the cut and come again type. Tried planting Little Gems. Never got one with a heart, the heat made them all bolt, but just picked off the leaves as they grew. So nice to be able to eat the fruits of one's labours! Lots of other things to try, but best to plant in pots, so can move around out of the downpours or the sun.

Back in Seattle Dad tried the hanging Tomatoes (upside down) and in patio partly shaded. He has all kinds. He gave me some Beefsteak seeds and I duplicated process here. Planted seeds indoors and waited till they got about 4-6" high and transplanted. I have beautiful 4-6" Red Beefsteak Tomatoes! about 7-9 per plant. One actually produced as I kept using pig manure 3 t 4 times a year... kept producing for almost 2 seasons (years).

Also brought some Large Water Melon seeds that about half grew and produced 24 - 30" length and 38-42" diameter had about 20 melons. Saved the seeds after I reminded

everyone to do... Same with giant Pumpkins. Biggest I had was almost 300 Lbs! There was a Joke arund here, if someone wanted a big " <deleted>(4 letter word... starts with F and ends with K..-Thai for Pumpkin..)" go to my house. Wife was really Greatly amused!

Edited by davidstipek
  • Like 1

I think your question should read, what plants are we allowed to import here? I'm sure many will grow here but what will their effect be on local plants and wildlife.

Info should be found on imports page in immigration info.