So Long, Voranai Vanijaka, Sunday Columnist No More...

EBlair48

I found his commentary on politics to be a great read lately. Of course I agreed with his left of center stances. If you didn't, his persuasive arguments might have been a bit off-putting

No, nothing to do with his changing political stances. I considered him years ago as a person who could have a positive change on thais and their thinking. Writing in the Bangkok Post is not the way to achieve it. But as his thai writing skills were, hopefully improved now, not up to par he was not able to to write for thai language newspapers. Pity, because he could have made, maybe still can make, a change for the better. His human interest opinions years ago were of true class.

This is not a snap decision. It was announced several weeks ago, before the coup. I expect it won't be long before he goes into television full time like Sorrayuth. Expect him to do well as, unlike Sorrayuth, he speaks impeccable English and could rival Suthichai as the best interviewer in Thai or English in Thailand.

You only have to read the letters section of the BP day after day to understand that Voranai's 'style' wasn't going to be in vogue at the moment. Unless you are aligned with the daily letter 'junta praising, US hating' rantings from Messors; Wilcox, Baker, Kane etc who appear to have a daily direct connection to the printing presses, I don't think the Bangkok Post is open to your opinion.

Sad really, since I used to see it as a somewhat more balanced viewpoint from the more rabid excess' of The Nation

The Bangkok Post said yesterday that he had left to edit a magazine. Nothing about TV.

I think the view that he was thrown out because his opinions don't agree with the Post's is ridiculous.

Nor do I think his views are especially leftist.

I'm sure the new restrictions on media were not acceptable to him, but true, I have no real idea if this is a factor in his leaving. Not sure why he couldn't continue writing the column even if not on staff.

His BPost email is disabled

Calling Voranai, Come in, Voranai.

I just got a private email from Khun Voranai and basically he said the the Post cancelled his columns and writing for them as he's launching GQ magazine, which is in competition with Elle magazine, which they own.

I will really really miss his columns. I didn't always agree with him, but he always made me think about my opinions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I thought he was the most insightful columnist (writing in English). It was always the first thing I looked for on Sunday mornings wherever I was.

Definitely will miss him. Bu wish him the best. Perhaps it is a good time to sit out political controversy and try something else.