Price of Corned Beef.

Try making your own?
Not too difficult and there are plenty of recipes around via Google.

The corned beef us Brits are used to is tinned and imported from Argentina & Brazil.
Very different to the corned beef the US and Oz know.

When I came to Thailand to stay eight years ago, there were tins of corned beef at Big C, Tesco, all over the place, now you have to get it in Bangkok or Pattaya. Why is this? I'll tell you why, the Monks started telling people that eating beef was bad luck, and we all know that Thais believe everything the Monks say, that is why you can only get corned beef in places where there are plenty of Farangs, and Villa Supermarkets are taking advantage of this, Capitalists that they are.

I wonder if the Red Cross would send me a few tins of Fray Bentos in a food parcel but best with HP Sauce.

Fray Bentos are for sale at Rim Ping supermarket in Chiang Mai.  Usually that means that the upscale Bangkok supermarkets would carry it too.

I wonder if the Red Cross would send me a few tins of Fray Bentos in a food parcel but best with HP Sauce.

Fray Bentos are for sale at Rim Ping supermarket in Chiang Mai.  Usually that means that the upscale Bangkok supermarkets would carry it too.

Only corned beef or Fray Bentos pies too?

Now that sudden thought is almost making me book a flight to the UK.

I vaguely remember a thread about Fray Bentos pies in the Western food thread quite a while ago.

I was sort of interestedas I thought I could reuse the tins as pie dishes.

Fray Bentos pies???? no chance. I am going to the UK next month, and I can tell you I will not be touching them. They still taste as good as ever, but I went to the UK three years ago looking forward to eating them, what a shock, there was very little steak and kidney in them, I wonder if it is still like that.

Has anyone eaten Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies recently? Was there much steak and kidney in them? I would love to know.

• Like 1

Bought a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie the other day in Udon as many happy memories from the past - however I am very sorry to say it was nowhere near the same, only a few pieces of meat, was most disappointed - so sad

That crap in a can is not corned beef. It is floor scrapings mulched together with some sort of goop holding it together.

This is corned beef.

home-cured-corned-beef.jpg

Corned beef to some but we were raised on tinned corned beef and brown sauce, Marmite too  biggrin.png

Bought a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie the other day in Udon as many happy memories from the past - however I am very sorry to say it was nowhere near the same, only a few pieces of meat, was most disappointed - so sad

I have to agree The 'meat' content is way way down when compared to the past. The taste is the same though! and the pastry is still great.

I had been buying them from'British Corner Shop...with the shipping costs though they worked out at 6 GBP each. Recently Rimping have been selling them at 265 a tin.

I make my own S&k pies,but whatever I do they never have the .Frey Bentos' taste. I thought that maybe it was due to using Pig Kidney and not Beef Kidney but although every cow in Thailand has Kidneys,I never see them for sale.

• 3 weeks later...

That crap in a can is not corned beef. It is floor scrapings mulched together with some sort of goop holding it together.

This is corned beef.

Corned beef to some but we were raised on tinned corned beef and brown sauce, Marmite too  biggrin.png

That post is cruel.  Posting that when we cannot get it must shurely be cruel and intolerable treatment.

• Like 1

This is corned beef.

That post is cruel.  Posting that when we cannot get it must shurely be cruel and intolerable treatment.

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE AND THE POSTER SHOULD BE BANNED.

• Like 1

I never knew corned beef (the sliced deli meat) came in a can, so I looked it up and it appears to be what Americans would call corned beef hash. Amirite?

NO, hash has potatoes!

rice555 

it's like corned beef hash without the potatoes. Salty as hell.

Basically, the spam of corned beef.

Go to a Jewish deli in NY if you want the real thing; the Irish version ain't bad either

I never knew corned beef (the sliced deli meat) came in a can, so I looked it up and it appears to be what Americans would call corned beef hash. Amirite?

NO, hash has potatoes!

rice555 

it's like corned beef hash without the potatoes. Salty as hell.

Basically, the spam of corned beef.

Go to a Jewish deli in NY if you want the real thing; the Irish version ain't bad either

Hello All, I thought that the OP was talking about the difference in price of canned corned beef

at different stores, not where to get deli fresh corned beef.

Now getting older and the Doc saying I can't eat this and can't eat that, I tend to stay away from

things with high salt and sugar content, so I pass up things that I do like for health reasons.

rice555 

SPAM also tastes great when you fry it and it gets crispy or cooked in batter to make SPAM fritters.

Try to find an ex military cook. What they used to do with SPAM was unbelieveable and sometimes it was edible too.

SPAM also tastes great when you fry it and it gets crispy or cooked in batter to make SPAM fritters.

Try to find an ex military cook. What they used to do with SPAM was unbelieveable and sometimes it was edible too.

normally spam is now 175bht x340grm tin in home fresh but occasionally they do drop it down to 150bht,

have had good deals in Tesco over the yrs.but not anymore first lot,14tins at 128bht,then another lot at 103bht.so its keeping an eye out in the mall.

goner take out a nice pc.of beef and bine it for 2weeks and make some corned beef.

today the honey mustard bacon comes out to dry overnight then bacon butties and hp.tomorrow.

oh I would love some kippers.

I'm an American, soon to celebrate the 41st anniversary of my 29th birthday.  I can only remember buying "tinned" corned beef or spam once in my life. Fresh corned beef was available at the local deli or the briskets available at the market,spices included.  Ham was available and we usually bought a whole pig every year and had ham and bacon smoked at the local smoke house.  I can't imagine ever buying floor sweepings in a can and say that it is delicious?

As meatboy says, do it yourself and forget the "tinned" garbage!

This is corned beef.

Delete this!  The photo is killing me!!!!!!!  xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png

I really was in the mood for corned beef last month.  Bought the stuff in a can.  Big mistake.  I couldn't decide if it was dog food or hash, but it wasn't corned beef, not the kind I know, at least (the kind on the photo).

• Like 1