webfact

PRISON
Prison troublemakers face 'supermax' unit

Thanapat Kitjakosol
The Nation,
Ratchaburi

30237395-01_big.jpg?1404082453166
A bird eye

BANGKOK: -- Trouble-making inmates from across Thailand are being transferred to the country's only jail with a "super-maximum" security facility.

The Corrections Department also plans to set up three more "supermax" zones like the one at Khao Bin Prison in Ratchaburi in a bid to accommodate all misbehaving inmates and ensure that they lose their bad connections and, thus, their negative influence.

The reasons inmates get sent to the prison include drug trafficking, using cell phones or seriously intimidating fellow inmates.

"I think if we have 'supermax' facilities to accommodate about 1,000 trouble-making inmates, we should be able to end many problems," Khao Bin Prison chief Yossapon Sutham said in an exclusive interview with The Nation.

The supermax zone at Khao Bin Prison can hold 500 inmates.

Recent news reports revealed that some prisoners continue to arrange drug deals from behind bars after obtaining cell phones through bribery and influence.

"To get a cell phone, some inmates have agreed to pay up to Bt3 million. To get a SIM card, some inmates have agreed to offer Bt800,000," Yossapon said.

He disclosed that some inmates outside Khao Bin Prison's supermax zone once used cell phones.

"But I have already launched a serious crackdown and pursued action against suspicious officials," he said.

Yossapon remains sure that no one has snuck a cell-phone into the supermax zone.

"Before any person is allowed to walk into the zone, he or she must undergo body scanning. There's no exemption. This rule applies to officials and the warden chief too," he said.

He added that SIM card-detecting devices and security cameras were also in place.

"Officials monitor inmates round the clock with the help of 360 security cameras too," he said.

When the 'supermax' facility opened last year, only troublemakers from the Khao Bin Prison were sent there. However, authorities now agree that it will be easier to control and reform inmates if trouble-makers are separated.

Kan, 33, said he was initially locked up in the Ubon Ratchathani Prison on a drug-related conviction.

He said he had managed to get into an influential gang there and got a cell-phone.

"Because of that I was sent to solitary detention at the supermax zone," he said.

Unlike general prisons, the supermax does not allow inmates to walk around and they can't use money. Neither can they accept food or items brought by families or friends.

There is no coffee and smoking is banned. Only direct relatives can "visit" via a video-conference system that officials can listen to.

Inmates are allowed only one hour of exercise a week.

"We have already had 287 inmates inside the supermax zone," Yossapon said. Uan, who was jailed for attempted murder, said officials threw him in the supermax because he had often had brawls at Chon Buri Prison.

"I am under huge stress because I can't contact anyone. I am allowed to leave my cell only when my lawyer arrives," he said.

Kan said the situation at the supermax facility was so stressful that he would never want to come back.

"I even think I could die from stress here," he said.

'Supermax' unit head Chanwit Karanan said inmates often shouted to ease their stress and some even banged their heads against the wall.

Parakorn Daengsomboon, who monitors inmates via CCTV, said he could zoom in closely on inmates.

"So if anything goes wrong, officials can rush in," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Prison-troublemakers-face-supermax-unit-30237395.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-30

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluespunk post # 4

"'Supermax' unit head Chanwit Karanan said inmates often shouted to ease their stress and some even banged their heads against the wall."

Sounds like they are just locked in their cells with no human contact for all but 1 hour a week. Won't that bring about psychological problems or more likely exacerbate existing conditions. I believe prison should be a punishment, however it should also attempt rehabilitation. This place appears to be failing to do the latter.

Sadly there are those people who are nothing more than a danger to society unable or unwilling to conform to the norms of decent social behavior patterns and conduct albeit it bit wild at times and as such we in society at large need to be and indeed society must be protected from those individuals.

Dangerous animals are controlled in many societies and remember we Homeo Sapiens are supposed to be the highest form of life on the planet.

Hence we protect ourselves from assorted threats environmental and society wise.

Agreed prison is not the best solution to many of the inmates problems, however society has its rules, we make or have made those rules thus we need to ensure such rules are observed and society can function at a safe level.

Yes, I agree. However not all the guys locked up in this place appear to life term prisoners and will eventually be released. Society would be best served if they were offered some sort of treatment to solve any psychological issues they have. In this gaol it would appear these problems are being created or, as I said, more likely made worse. These already predatory people will be a greater danger than ever if released back into society. Surely it would be worth the try to help them, even at a minimal level.

• Like 1

I'd like to know where inmates get 3 mil baht to buy a cell phone. For 95% of the population thats 30 years pay. The 5% of the population with that kind of money to spend never see the inside of a prison.

3 million baht really isn't much money for a Thai who has been selling drugs. If the inmate on the inside didn't have the presence of mind to conceal a bankroll inside their body cavity before entering prison, a fellow gang member or family member outside prison will take care of the money transaction for them.

Generally an inmate who will pay that much for a cell phone inside prison, isn't calling home to mom. They are doing business inside prison, with the help of their criminal friends on the outside.

"'Supermax' unit head Chanwit Karanan said inmates often shouted to ease their stress and some even banged their heads against the wall."

Sounds like they are just locked in their cells with no human contact for all but 1 hour a week. Won't that bring about psychological problems or more likely exacerbate existing conditions. I believe prison should be a punishment, however it should also attempt rehabilitation. This place appears to be failing to do the latter.

Where did you get the "no human contact" from?

• Like 1

"...however it should also attempt rehabilitation. "

Always a problem. Not sure what type of prisons produce the least recidivism ... or maybe it's what type of prisoner is most amenable to rehab ... but it really does seem that persons held in prison usually come out as bad or worse than when they went in ... particularly young, first offenders.

Maybe they should give it a try for farang on overstay or who work in Thailand illegally to see if it improves the rates of compliance (yes, I am kidding ... sort of)

Where did you get the "no human contact" from?

Not allowed to move around. 1 hour exercise a week. Video visits.

Sounds like a decent prison. Punish offenders.

I forgot the actual stats', but do you have any idea how many actually innocents are rotting away in jail throughout Thailand; the number was shocking !

blink.png

I don't know for certain how many hours a week the prisoners are out of their cells. I can't comment on certain areas since I'm not a mental health professional who specializes in this area. As for the appearance of failing. I don't know the details, the facility, the staff, the budget or the procedures manual, so I will not label it as such.

I don't know for certain how many hours a week the prisoners are out of their cells. I can't comment on certain areas since I'm not a mental health professional who specializes in this area. As for the appearance of failing. I don't know the details, the facility, the staff, the budget or the procedures manual, so I will not label it as such.
Going on what the OP says about not being allowed to move around and only getting 1 hour exercise a week I'm guessing they spend most of their time in their cells. I could be wrong but as for mental health, shouting in frustration and banging their heads on walls wouldn't appear to be a good sign. Edited by Bluespunk

"To get a cell phone, some inmates have agreed to pay up to Bt3 million. To get a SIM card, some inmates have agreed to offer Bt800,000," Yossapon said.

Would be cheaper to send the bribe taking officials to a smaller less expensive prison.

A friend who works in a medium security prison told me that 20 to 30 men, I don't recall the exact nu,ber) are in one cell. (One night you are BF and next GF) food cost is 45 Baht per day and no aircon, gym, cable TV etc. I suggest that the US make a deal with Thailand and let their long term prisoners be housed here in the LOS. Of course too many lawyers, cops and judges would lose their jobs

• Like 1

This would be a dream come true. Thai society would be a very, very different thing, if people were punished for their crimes. With one of the weakest, easiest to purchase (super corrupt) and most cowardly judiciaries anywhere in the world, it is hard to put people away, who truly deserve it, here in the LOS. Even on the odd chance the police do their work properly, when the case gets to court, if the prosecutor has not been bought off, the judges can be. But, if the military leaders are serious about cleaning up this den of thieves called the judiciary, now would be the time to start. Seeing the top punks in a jail like this one would be delightful.