What Gets Wasted At Your House - Drinking Doesn't Count

pgrahmm

For me, the same.

Nothing is wasted in this house.

The kids leave every light on and if I don't get up to switch off they will be on all night.

3 air conditions are running from 4 in the afternoon till 7 in the morning, because the apple of her eyes can not live without air condition. They did till the age of 9, but then the rich farang came.

Food is cooked for 10, although we are 4, the rest is going to the bins.

Keep asking them at least to throw to the soi dogs, but it's a big job.

Bottles of mineral water is taken to their rooms, they drink half of it the rest goes in the sink.

That I discovered recently.

Clothes never mended, as my mother used to do, they are thrown in the bin.

I got angry now.....must be more, but I can't think at the momentw00t.gif

Let them pay for all that is needed. See how much goes to waste then.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

For me, the same.

The kids leave every light on and if I don't get up to switch off they will be on all night.

3 air conditions are running from 4 in the afternoon till 7 in the morning, because the apple of her eyes can not live without air condition. They did till the age of 9, but then the rich farang came.

Bottles of mineral water is taken to their rooms, they drink half of it the rest goes in the sink.

You need to put your foot down. That is just ridiculous waste. Even if it doesn't hurt your wallet, it hurts the planet.

• Like 2

For me, the same.

She pays half......but that's not the point.

one man's waste is another man's consumption. some people, and that includes my wife, call me an energy waster because i like all parts of our home at a certain temperature that i consider comfortable. my argument is that i don't waste but consume energy and that i receive a fair return for what i pay.

another "waste" is my preference for certain food items to supplement the mostly asian cuisine served at home (which i like very much). but... the "additions" i like on top are imported and sold, respectively bought at cutthroat prices.

My wife used to buy stuff then not eat it. I pointed it out a few times, and then she would make a point of eating it. I then pointed out that if you eat it just so it "doesn't go to waste", it is still wasted because you didn't really want to eat it. She's pretty good now in that regard.

She's frugal when it comes to buying food/things and would rather go without if something is expensive or over-priced, same as me, but we are both coming round to the idea that we aren't getting any younger, life is for living, so we will buy expensive things sometimes, but with thought. We don't like to waste.

Just this evening she said as she threw out last night's left over rice, "we should use the smaller rice cooker". I only cooked 2 cups, which is enough for our dinner and her breakfast, but she didn't have breakfast this morning so there was a portion left over which was going off this evening (because lazy bones here didn't put it in the fridge). We have resolved to put last night's leftover rice in the fridge each morning.

Sometimes veges get wasted because I buy them and then forget them in the vege bin in the fridge. When we eventually get land, it won't be a complete waste because I am a composter.

• Like 2

For me, the same.

Who wears the trousers and who wears the skirt?

You're paying half to support her kids right?

Edited by Porkster

For me, the same.

She pays half......but that's not the point.

She pays halve.......for now.

For me, the same.

That is called marriage.

Kids have no income.........only demands.

• Like 1

My missus is a compulsive hoarder, includes old food containers, paper bags, empty bottles, old clothes, rags, and my kids consider our home as a dumping ground for all their thrash. Sometimes I feel like I am living in a junkyard and become extremely annoyed because I have to sift through loads of everyone else’s crap to find something that I want.

So once a year I have to get ruthless, and my motto is; if in doubt, throw it out. I allocate a huge space in the garden, throw all the out of date and unwanted stuff into the space, then I call a guy who takes away junk for recycling and he comes along and takes it all away. After that I have to keep watch on the wife to make sure she throws away any junk before it accumulates again, but over the months I end up fighting a losing battle and then the whole process begins again. I have no doubts that many of you have to endure similar situations.

But besides that, nothing gets wasted at our house. Any food left over on the plates is fed to our dogs and cats, we do not use air conditioning, see no need for it up here in cooler Chiang Mai and I laid the law down here about wasting electricity years ago.

The TGF likes the BBQ and Oishi-type buffets -- my big accomplishment was no longer receiving the 50 baht surcharge as she would bring to the table far more than she would eventually eat. I said: They've got plenty. They are not going to run out before you are finished.

For me, the same.

Have you seen what Greek men wear? Nice and frilly too!

post-13653-0-62541600-1404177132_thumb.j

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 2

My missus is good at the bargains. The other day she drove 6 km to save 2 baht on 3-in-1 coffee. She's clever like that.

The fact that neither of us drink the stuff anyway, and it was "just in case" sealed her logical argument for her ...........................sad.png

She's special.......................rolleyes.gif

Not to mention the fuel cost of B14.

Very little wasted here as well.

My girlfriend's niece took away our old 3-piece suite and coffee table when I replaced them - a necessity in the case of the sofa.

Her uncle took the television in the bedroom when I replaced it

Her sister got the microwave and her niece got the old curtains when they were changed recently.

Not sure what will happen to the ceiling fan in the bedroom when I upgrade it.

Alan

Likely water for the garden because I tend to soak everything and then let it dry out. The garden looks good. Water costs about 800 THB/month but I also water my neighbours plants because they seldom are there. Electricity because sometimes I forget to turn things off or purposely leave them on. Power has gone from 700 THB to 3000 THB/month since getting air-conditioning. Sometimes rice because my Thai wife tends to cook too much. We give the extra rice to the birds or to the fish.

I think i could save money on electricity and possibly water. Monitor the moisture level with greater accuracy. Turn off the computer more often. Turn off lights sooner. Turn off water dispenser for a greater part of the day. Turn off fans sooner. Thai wife likes turning the fans on all night even when she puts a cover over herself. I do not want to argue with her on this point because some things really do not matter and it is wise to concede small points. I tried to point out the logic but it is her long time habit. I do not like the ketah caused by the fans.

For me, the same.

I got angry now.....must be more, but I can't think at the moment:w00t:

That is called marriage.

Kids have no income.........only demands.

Doesn't mean we can't train them, correct? Maybe a little ass chewing is in order.

Just a thought... kilosierra

For me, the same.

A cunning solution?

Give your wife the total housekeeping budget for the month.

Up to her how she spends it.

If all gone too soon, don't eat until the next month starts and she has the budget again.

If needs be, she will have to borrow from her Mum, or Brother/Sister but not you.

It is my observation that if wives (all, not just Thai) are spending "their own money" they are much, much more aware of costs, waste etc and control things much better.

A friend in the UK did this and whatever his wife could save from the housekeeping was hers.

So she would scrimp and save so she could buy that new Dress, Handbag, pair of shoes etc that she really wanted.

I think my friend was very clever!

• Like 1

No waste here. I have to beg to get old clothes to use as rags in the shed even though four wardrobes are full of clothes ranging from i week to 20 years old. I'm told while there is still life in a piece of cloth on her back it will not become a rag !

• Like 1

For me, the same.

A cunning solution?

Give your wife the total housekeeping budget for the month.

Up to her how she spends it.

If all gone too soon, don't eat until the next month starts and she has the budget again.

If needs be, she will have to borrow from her Mum, or Brother/Sister but not you.

It is my observation that if wives (all, not just Thai) are spending "their own money" they are much, much more aware of costs, waste etc and control things much better.

A friend in the UK did this and whatever his wife could save from the housekeeping was hers.

So she would scrimp and save so she could buy that new Dress, Handbag, pair of shoes etc that she really wanted.

I think my friend was very clever!

That is exactly what I do and she is very good about "not" buying something extra if her budget gets thin....and loves to "treat" me off "mama's" budget when something for me fancies her.......we have never gone short supplied.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

wow does she have a sister ?

At our place waste depends on who is paying the cost

if the money comes from my wallet the wifes family will eat like there is no tomorrow and half is left as there eyes are bigger than there stomachs, the dog sits close because he knows he will get a good feed tonight

But if the money is from the wife or her family.

you'll never see cleaner plates

and the dog sulks on the floor with an empty tummy