obtain a death certificate in Pattaya

wineman

If the death certificate is for anything in the U. S. (insurance, bank accounts, etc.),locally issued DC's are usually not acceptable. You will probably need a "CONSULAR REPORT OF DEATH OF AN AMERICAN CITIZEN ABROAD" which can only be issued by the ACS at the American Embassy.

I had to take the certificate (issued by the hospital) to Pattaya City Hall to have it registered, then to the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok (along with dad's passport). The Embassy, for a fee, will provide translated, Certified True Copies (you'll probably need up to 10 copies by the time everything is finally done). The Embassy can also provide the letter authorizing you to dispose of the remains ( needed if you are planning on a cremation at a temple apparently).

(Probably should have a copy of the Will if there is one, as well as your passport and/or anything that proves you are actually related to the person and responsible for such matters when you go to the Embassy.)

If the death certificate is for anything in the U. S. (insurance, bank accounts, etc.),locally issued DC's are usually not acceptable. You will probably need a "CONSULAR REPORT OF DEATH OF AN AMERICAN CITIZEN ABROAD" which can only be issued by the ACS at the American Embassy.

But it is still dependent & reliant upon official Thai documentation and there are limitations regarding to whom the consular report will be issued.

Consular Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad

The “Consular Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad” is an official report, in English, that provides the essential facts concerning the death of a U.S. Citizen. It functions in much the same way as a death certificate issued in the United States and can be used to settle bank accounts, insurance policies and other estate matters.

This report can be issued only after the Thai authorities complete their documentation of the death.

This process can take several weeks to be completed. Several original copies of the Consular Report of Death Abroad report will be sent to the Next-of-Kin. Families may order additional certified copies from the Department of State for a fee.

Families will thus receive up to three sets of documents from the Embassy:

• Several original copies of "Consular Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad" (free)
  • An original Thai Death Certificate with a translated English copy (at the family's expense)
  • An original Autopsy Report with a translated English copy (at the family's expense, takes 3-4 months to complete)

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/death-of-a-us-citizen.html

Edited by Suradit69

I have just written three Last Wills (bank accounts in BE, TH, SIN) in favor of my Pattaya TGF and I've been inquiring about getting Thai Death Certificates for me which she will need to claim the inheritances.

Like SidJames says they will be issued automatically by the doctor who'll examine the defunct - either in the hospital or at home.

I queried my Belgian Embassy and they told me that three copies of this Thai Death Certificate must be taken by my TGF to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs at ChaengWattana to be officially stamped as it concerns the death of a foreigner.

My Embassy will then claim two of these stamped certificates for their use and will translate in French and notarize, for free (!!), a third copy that can then be sent by my TGF to my Notary in Belgium along with my Holographic Testament.

For Singapore a translated in English and notarized copy will be needed.

If I tally right my TGF will thus need to get a total of five Thai Death Certificates (three for BE, one for TH, one for SIN) - And all stamped by the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

I have just written three Last Wills (bank accounts in BE, TH, SIN) in favor of my Pattaya TGF and I've been inquiring about getting Thai Death Certificates for me which she will need to claim the inheritances.

Like SidJames says they will be issued automatically by the doctor who'll examine the defunct - either in the hospital or at home.

I queried my Belgian Embassy and they told me that three copies of this Thai Death Certificate must be taken by my TGF to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs at ChaengWattana to be officially stamped as it concerns the death of a foreigner.

My Embassy will then claim two of these stamped certificates for their use and will translate in French and notarize, for free (!!), a third copy that can then be sent by my TGF to my Notary in Belgium along with my Holographic Testament.

If I tally right my TGF will thus need to get a total of five Thai Death Certificates (three for BE, one for TH, one for SIN) - And all stamped by the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

I would be very careful with this. I had a friend who was Dutch and got killed so his thai wife could cash the insurance money a little bit earlier than planned. He just had taken a 16 million policy on his life. Luckily insurances don't enjoy paying and found out the scam... but the poor chap was dead, horribly coming to an end with marks of strangulation, stab wounds and a slab of concrete crushing his head.

If there are big amounts in your will and your GF is aware you might be risking your life.

• Like 2

Don't you need to actually die first..... the wife can help with that now the wills have been finalised. :D

Don't you need to actually die first..... the wife can help with that now the wills have been finalised. biggrin.png

His wife will if she finds out about the "Pattaya TGF" tongue.png

I appreciate the BMs' concerns about a senior farang drawing a Last Will favoring a young TGF.

I quite understand it can be "risky" at times ... LOL

Well, be concerned even more as I've made a Thai govt-approved Living Will in which she is named as representing my wishes if I were to find myself in a Terri Schiavo state.

This I terribly fear (motocy accident, maybe) so I've made clear to her that if this happens she must have me unplugged asap as that will mean less $$$ for hospital care and more left for her in my bank account ...

I appreciate the BMs' concerns about a senior farang drawing a Last Will favoring a young TGF. I quite understand it can be "risky" at times ... LOL Well, be concerned even more as I've made a Thai govt-approved Living Will in which she is named as representing my wishes if I were to find myself in a Terri Schiavo state. This I terribly fear (motocy accident, maybe) so I've made clear to her that if this happens she must have me unplugged asap as that will mean less $$$ for hospital care and more left for her in my bank account ...

You forgot to mention her name & phone #

;-)

Motocy accidents to order!

Edited by DekDaeng
  • Like 1

If I were you, my friend, I would be telling my 'Pattaya TGF' that my entire estate was only a hundred bucks. Hang on....you may be murdered for that much. Make that 100 baht.