Waiter, there's a caterpillar in my lettuce..........

beau thai

We used to eat quite frequently at a salad restaurant until we found a 1cm bug on the lettuce. We figured they werent washing it properly (we were the only customers so not 'too busy'), and havent been back since as we found that scrutinising every leaf put us off our lunch.

Last week in a Mall, a similar thing happened in a 'proper' restaurant. Again, we were the only customers and the 2cm caterpillar earned us an 'eek' from the waitress. So I took it on the leaf to the Chef, who apologised and offered a new salad. But again, scrutinising our food rather put us off.

Then the gf heard one of the other unemployed waitresses saying to ours ' Tell them that's normal in Thailand'

My thai gf doesnt think its normal, but what do you think?? Maybe I need to re-tune my western ideas and try to be less squeamish, but as I would struggle to eat a deep fried bug here, a 'raw' one in my mouth from lettuce is unappealing in the extreme.

Maybe we should only eat salad at home where I know it is properly washed - by me.

he's right. it's a positive sign on the one hand that the veggies were free of pesticides, but still laziness on the part of the staff for not doing a proper job of washing and inspecting them.

was the salad restaurant in Central Festival by any chance?

that would really put me off too.bah.gif

Edited by Oscar2

he's right. it's a positive sign on the one hand that the veggies were free of pesticides, but still laziness on the part of the staff for not doing a proper job of washing and inspecting them.

you're getting warm........

And referring to comments about pesticides, I went to get Baking Soda to make drain cleaner to clear a slow drain last week (it worked) and the (thai) pharmacist said she used a weak solution ( 1 teaspoon to 2 litres) to soak fruit/veg for 15 mins to get rid of pesticides etc.

I cant vouch for the efficacy but she seems like a lady who knows her stuff.

As others have said, a good thing as it shows the veggies aren't full of chemicals.

If you could let us know in a round about way the name of the restaurant, I'd like to add it to my list of regulars.

You should go back next week when it has turned into a beautiful butterfly.

now be honest; if your lettuce came with a butterfly on it you would be fascinated, and just waft it away with nothing further said. you would probably try to get a photo.

so why the drama with a caterpillar; it only wants to share the lettuce.

• Like 2

And referring to comments about pesticides, I went to get Baking Soda to make drain cleaner to clear a slow drain last week (it worked) and the (thai) pharmacist said she used a weak solution ( 1 teaspoon to 2 litres) to soak fruit/veg for 15 mins to get rid of pesticides etc.

we've been doing this for years now to get rid of pesticides. it works. i would say that we use a little more than a teaspoon but not that much. we often see the signs around town now at restaurants who practice this.

As others have said, a good thing as it shows the veggies aren't full of chemicals.

If you could let us know in a round about way the name of the restaurant, I'd like to add it to my list of regulars.

near the upstairs food court at Central Festival. original store on Nimman.

Of course, it's not normal! You did nothing wrong. The resturant should have waived the charge on the dish. Did they?

One time, I bit into a chumpoo(don't know the English word) and there was worms (nong) in it. Since then I have lost appetite on chumpoo! Now, you are making me lose appetite on lettuce.wai2.gif

near the upstairs food court at Central Festival. original store on Nimman.

warmer...

we've been doing this for years now to get rid of pesticides. it works. i would say that we use a little more than a teaspoon but not that much. we often see the signs around town now at restaurants who practice this.

A vinegar / water wash works as well

• Like 1

what beats mesmile.png this new farung invasion of c/mai,all seem to be pinicky on the least of things, suggest to the o/poster to take a capt cook, of the out the back kitchens in restaurants

then he will probably have a techincal colour yawn, in particular when he makes a meal out of a grub on his dish

the golden oldies of c/mai would nt have just flicked the grub, and got on with life, geeeze a fresh grub, hell there are some moaners around

a very nice morning to allsmile.png

Edited by evenstevens
  • Like 2

I'm not saying that it doesn't work but how can you tell? I can see baking soda being used to neutralize an acid but I don't think most pesticides are acids. I tried googling it but found no explanation based on science.. I did find recommendations for using just vinegar (acetic acid) and even for combinations of baking soda and vinegar (acetic acid)! And even if this stuff works on the surface, I don't see how it can neutralize pesticides that are systemic.

Well, thanks for all the replies - even from the golden oldies who like their grub with grubs. Takes all sorts. Interesting that some farang find things like this acceptable when some thais dont!

And no need to visit kitchens to study hygeine evensteven -any street cart will do. And none have provoked a psychedelic yawn yet...

Well, thanks for all the replies - even from the golden oldies who like their grub with grubs. Takes all sorts. Interesting that some farang find things like this acceptable when some thais dont!

I don't think that all Thais or all farangs agree on much of anything.

"Then the gf heard one of the other unemployed waitresses saying to ours ' Tell them that's normal in Thailand'"

Nowadays, I just take the bug off and eat the food. I guess that I've been here too long.

As the waiter said to the customer,'that caterpillar has not eaten much sir!"

Back in the days when I grew vegies for my family, I 'co-planted'. A very old trick of planting calendula daisies in the rows between the vegies.

The dreaded white cabbage butterflies and their green offspring kept well away.

Take a bike ride along some of the canals out in the countryside when the fruits and vegetables are being harvested and prepared for shipment either to local markets or even for export. I've often noticed water directly from the canals being pumped and flushed onto the picked produce in order to clean or freshen up the product. If you have any conception of what the normal canal contains, you will always--always--wash your fruits and vegetables well before eating.

beau thai , let me say that I have enjoyed your input to this forum over the past months, but this thread , I must say gives me cause for pause.

Would you not think a person a little odd that would go to a restaurant , place an order, finds that the food has a caterpillar within the salad, then this slightly off normal person just happens to have a ruler on himself, that he whips out and proceeds to measure the caterpillar??? wink.pngwink.png

Are you really that bored and lonely ??? Posting on TV doesn't put enough excitement in your life.....???

Now you have me looking through my lunch for my secret surprise.

Now do you wonder , how many of these little critters you have already eaten and didn't know it...

tongue.pngtongue.png

• Like 1

And no need to visit kitchens to study hygeine evensteven -any street cart will do. And none have provoked a psychedelic yawn yet...

When you know the chef and staff haven't used any soap or toilet paper since they woke up, a caterpillar seems quite a minor problem.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Nowadays, I just take the bug off and eat the food. I guess that I've been here too long.

I thought, given your love of fresh food, that you would have shouted for the mustard and eaten the salad as a side dish to your very fresh meat!

Edited by scottishjohn

I'm not saying that it doesn't work but how can you tell? I can see baking soda being used to neutralize an acid but I don't think most pesticides are acids. I tried googling it but found no explanation based on science.. I did find recommendations for using just vinegar (acetic acid) and even for combinations of baking soda and vinegar (acetic acid)! And even if this stuff works on the surface, I don't see how it can neutralize pesticides that are systemic.

There is a Doctor in Chiang Rai (researcher) who has been studying dozens of patients for years with liver disease, thyroid disease, etc. All are believed to have become ill from pesticides. He has researched using sodium bicarbonate to clean pesticides off of vegetables and says it works - 95% or something like that. You have to let them soak for about 20 minutes and then rinse them with fresh, clean water. We have also been doing this for about 5 years now as well. We use more than a teaspoon or tablespoon. I don't know how much exactly but more than that in about 2-3 litres of water. We never eat salad outside anymore unless we are at Pun Pun.

Does anyone have links to any papers that document the benefits of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) for removing pesticides form vegetables and fruits?

I've looked before, and looked again now, but I can not find any actual research indicating this works. I see research indicating that it *is* a good idea to rinse for at least a minute under water (not just leave it soaking in a bowl of water, but scrub, or at least put it under running water), and that washing in a 10% vinegar solution might also be a good idea (not for pesticides, but for bacteria and viruses) But baking soda? I find nothing that looks reputable.

If there is any science behind this, I'd appreciate if somebody posted some links.

Edited by Awk