US executive who fled to Thailand to avoid paying child support goes to prison

webfact

Uncontested divorces are not limited to "poor people." Good lawyers triage cases before burning thousands of dollars to determine best route for client, not lawyer's pocket book. Collecting and blowing through large retainers before discussing resolution serves only the interests of the lawyer. Serving client's best interests obtains and retains business. I am fighter and have close to 100 jury trials in civil tort cases and over 100 security or employment arbitrations, but there is a difference between fighting for a client and unnecessarily burning through all marital assets/money in a divorce case that you ultimately settle for what you could have settled for prior to spending all of their money.

Contested v. Uncontested figures

I have seen mixed figures (90 to 95%) on contested v. uncontested divorce cases (5 to 10%), but obviously many on here got stuck in the churning of a contested case that no doubt left them bitter and upset.

Once someone hires a lawyer, the contest begins.

Nope. Lawyers file joint agreed MDAs all the time regardless as to how the suit commences. Disconcerting you act as if that is not feasible once you become involved.

My wife got pissy when I took a girlfriend to Venice the day after Christmas in 2007 a couple months after she left me. She went and hired the nastiest, most expensive divorce lawyer in our city and had me served a couple of nights after I got back.

I went to a lawyer friend, we had a conference and within days my Ex fired her lawyer, we ultimately agreed on everything and filed an MDA using the same lawyer.

Ex's original lawyer was pissed and tried to talk her out of resolving it amicably. Her lawyer was just pissed over losing a 6 figure fee and had not used all of the Ex's $20k retainer.

Parites should have a cool off, sit down and try and work it out before paying someone like you a hundred grand to accomish nothing. Thank goodness my Ex had sufficient intelligence to realize the outcome would likely be the same whether we spent $200,000 on fees or whether we sat down, worked an agreement and used 1 lawyer to file joint agreed MDA.

Edited by capcc76

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It has gone unnoticed that the chap was an executive for Eclipse Hotels and Development, which the company behind several entertainment venues in Thailand and a front use by the recently exposed "boiler room boys of Thailand. They have been the recent target of Andrew Drummond's site which is how I made the connection to Eclipse.

This fact probably contributed to the Feds going the extra mile in prosecuting individuals out of this organization as the US seems quite interested in them lately. The fact that he entered a guilty plea and got a relatively short sentence should raise some eyebrows.

Only men are held to be responsible citizens by western governments , women have been given so many rights but without any extra responsibilities .

40 years of making laws exclusively in favour of women , all paid for by the 70-75% male taxes governments harvest from men and spend mostly on females , why ?

Why indeed? I've often wondered why men, who in my day in the 1970's 1980's were predominantly in the legislative bodies and on the courts, why they would pass legislation and adjudicate family law cases so obviously biased in favor of women? What'sup with that? Ironically I've personally seen cases were a legislator got bit in the ass by his own liberal overly generous legislation favoring women when he subsequently went through a divorce. Does anyone have a clue as to why we males intentionally stack the deck against ourselves?

Only men are held to be responsible citizens by western governments , women have been given so many rights but without any extra responsibilities .

40 years of making laws exclusively in favour of women , all paid for by the 70-75% male taxes governments harvest from men and spend mostly on females , why ?

Why indeed? I've often wondered why men, who in my day in the 1970's 1980's were predominantly in the legislative bodies and on the courts, why they would pass legislation and adjudicate family law cases so obviously biased in favor of women? What'sup with that? Ironically I've personally seen cases were a legislator got bit in the ass by his own liberal overly generous legislation favoring women when he subsequently went through a divorce. Does anyone have a clue as to why we males intentionally stack the deck against ourselves?

Probably because they want the females to vote for them.

I was highly amused in the UK when a couple of high flying women were outraged because they had to pay large sums to their poorer ex husbands when getting divorced. They don't like it when it's they that have to pay laugh.png .

I believe it's essentially the delusion that marriage only breaks down because the man is bad.

"I am a legislator, I am a man, I am not bad, therefore it can never happen to me."

You can see prime examples of this delusion from some forum members.

They often post things like, "We haven't had the woman's side of the story"

Which in actuality is a suggestion the man is lying, because only bad men get divorced.

They are not bad men, so they will never be divorced, etc.

• Like 1

Why indeed? I've often wondered why men, who in my day in the 1970's 1980's were predominantly in the legislative bodies and on the courts, why they would pass legislation and adjudicate family law cases so obviously biased in favor of women?

It is like legislators who passed the original laws against prostitution. They knew that these laws would never apply to men like them in their lifetimes. Only the plebs would be affected by them.

• Like 1