vientiane nightmare

Wow, three inaccuracies / assumptions in one one single (bilious) posting!

All these complaints about Vientiane being overcrowded will soon be a thing of the past. With the new crackdown on back-to-back tourist visas and education visas about to commence they won't be very busy at all. Certainly you won't be seeing bus loads of Filipinos going there. I know for a fact that many Filipinos have already left Thailand.

A TR visa crackdown is just an ill wishing of your idle mind. Actually I think Thailand will be more happy to sell more visa. Same goes for ED visa.

Holding a visa does not guarantee entry into Thailand, so even if the consulate issues a visa, if the border immigration officers think the individual is using the wrong visa (eg tourist visa, Ed visa) to live in Thailand, they could refuse entry.

Often repeated mantra that doesn't match facts: they could, but they don't.

I suspect they're a bit busier right now than usual as they have changed the border run days to only 7 (from 15), so more people are trying to procure tourist visas.

It has never been 7 days. It is 30 days for G7 and few other countries, 15 for most others. And, it has not be changed by the crackdown.

Don't be depressed we will welcome you next "contribution" about the World Cup, best fish for the tanks, etc.

Not interested in soccer, so you go ahead and post your own predictions.

As for the rest, lots of people will be hoping and praying that you are right, so keep those fingers crossed, and perhaps a toe or two as well...

I have got 2 visas from Vientiane, one was in 1997, one was in 2008. Both involved queueing up for long periods in the sun or roasting under tarpaulin. 1997 was the wackiest, they hadn't figured out queues then.

In 2008, I vowed to myself I would avoid Vientiane visa obtaining and if entirely necessary I would use an agent. Not worth the aggravation. This is what I have done.

Just my opinion.

With you on this - same queue in the boiling sun, same ticked off Consular staff taking the applications from a line that seemed to stretch to eternity. It was the first time I began to get some inkling of just how many people from the Phillipines and Africa (my assumption) live in Thailand and the afternoon wait for our passports was almost as unbearable. That was 2008 and I vowed to my Thai companion that I wouldnt be going back - she accompanied me on a later run to Penang and we were both much happier with the overall experience.

• Like 1

I cannot believe just how many people are prepared to handover their passports to persons unknown. Why not give them your credit cards too? Terrorism? What terrorism???

Those qualms disappear the instant you realise you dont have to hang around the Consulate for hours on end.

• Like 2

I cannot believe just how many people are prepared to handover their passports to persons unknown. Why not give them your credit cards too? Terrorism? What terrorism???

Those qualms disappear the instant you realise you dont have to hang around the Consulate for hours on end.

Well, with such an incentive, I now understand. 555

I heard that the Embassy in Hong Kong is easy and quick, any one tried it ??

There is no Thai embassy in Hong Kong. It is a consulate.

A single entry tourist visa is all you can get and you will need to show a ticket out of the country to get it.

• Like 1

Still looking forward to Savannaket.

Really ?its far worse than Vientiane ,but for different reasons .

It will be the first time I've tried a new destination for the purpose of getting a visa in a long time - have become an habitual Penang visitor. Yours is the first negative comment I've read about Savannaket - please enlighten us.

Savannakhet makes a nice change. Very quiet and relaxed. There are a few good restauranrs right accross from the old market, ate there many times and fod is always good. Also nice ptio restaurant along the water just down from Thai consulate. Not much nightlife but a stroll along tge waterfront is nice. Add an extremely short wait at the consulate and Savannakhet is mynext visadestination

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When I went there I accidentally arrived quite late. Around 11 am I think. And it turned out great, Got everything done in 30 or 45 minutes and picked it up the next day. The hotel down the street is not the best ever but it wasn't a shit hole either. Aircon and free wifi and I will be okay for 1 night...
Around the corner if you walk out of the embassy and turn right there is a fairly decent coffee shop that serves some food as well. In the evening I walked much further down that street (I like walking) and I had a fairly decent pizza with a very good salad in a cowboy/country style restaurant. Staff was a bit lazy but I could have done worse.

Yes the whole Vientiane thing isn't the best trip in your life. But it's really not as bad as some people make it sound.

Too late sad.png( just booked my flight for the 1st time Laos instead of Malaysia. Monday to Wednesday in August.

Any suggestions for avoiding the cue without camping outside the Embassy ?

Deli, go to the embassy as late as possible on both days - about an hour before it closes. Works like a bomb! No wait, no queues...

I am not a big fan of Vientiane but all in all it is okay. My biggest recommendation is to stay away from the Consulate and closer to the river front area. Central area around Nam Phu (fountain park) is fun and plenty of guest houses to choose from. Easy 15 - 20 minute walk from the consulate or a cheap tuk tuk ride.

I stay at the AV hotel and find it okay. For those big spenders I would also recommend the Green Park Boutique Hotel (staff not so friendly but it is a very nice property with a good pool).

As a side note went to immigration yesterday for my 90 day reporting and they informed me that all re-entry permits are now being issued at the bridge not at immigration.

Unless you plan a long weekend in vientiane, I do not recommend you go on Friday either

If you hand in paperwork for visa on Friday you will not get your passport back until "Monday afternoon

I can sure think of worst places to spend a relaxing weekend than Vientiane. What a peaceful, charming city.

Sadly, neither of those adjectives apply to the Thai Consulate IME.

In Savannakhet, good choice to stay is New Saen Sabai hotel ([email protected] limited English...), opposite the ferry terminal, 5 minutes away from the Thai consulate by 40THB/10000Kip tuk tuk, bank/exchange at good rates next door. 1000 THB/night, room-wifi-many tv channels-clean sheets-good shower (allowed me to check-in at 10am after giving application). Walking distance are Lin's cafe for bkfast, and good French food for dinner at Daosavahn on the square, by the white church.

I dont think Vientiane is that bad, actually I found the staff to be nice and helpful.

I usually either get my 1 year extension or get a visa from the USA if I go home for the holidays. Last time I went to Vientiane

was either in 2009 or 2010 cant recall. I stayed at Douangpraseuth hotel which is down the street from the embassy.

I stayed there so I could walk to the embassy in the morning and not worry about having to get a taxi, traffic all that crap.

The hotel was clean with free wifi and good staff. I believe it was 500B a night. In the evening there is not much around, but did

walk down to the main road and found a small place to eat.

I went to the embassy around 10 or 11am thinking I would come after the big rush in the morning. This worked well for me. I only had to wait about 20-30 minutes to submit my

paper work. The lady reviewed my paper work and told me I was missing something so I called my office and had her speak to them. I then had to run back

to my hotel to get a fax and returned with the missing documents which was something about our BOI and taxes. The staff there did not make

me wait in line again and accepted the papers right away. I went back the next day around 2pm and picked up my passport with a non-B visa.

Again I did not have to wait long less than an hour. I went on a Tuesday.

I never used the agents in front of the embassy but have talked to some guys that have used them and swear by them. One guy told me he

got a 1 year B visa without having all the paper work needed. However he had to pay 15,000B because he didn't have all the required documents.

He said he used the guy that has the table setup right out front with the big sign. Some posters said they would not trust those guys with their passport,

not sure if I would trust them either. For sure I would not use an agent that has nothing and is just standing in front of the embassy. At least the one

guy as something of a permanent place setup out front.

Good luck to everyone with the new enforcement of the visa rules. Hope the junta can re-work immigration policy and force employers to get work permits for their employees

so Thailand can get everyone the correct visa and weed out the criminals and illegal workers. Maybe make it a little easier for PR.

A lot more to Vientienne than the area around the embassy. Jeez, it's one of the worst parts of the city for hotels, food, drinking etc. Tuk tuks anywhere around the city will run you 80-100 baht. Get a place walking distance from the fountain and the river front. I prefer Vientienne to ANY city in Thailand, no comparison. Love the place.

• Like 1

When I went there I accidentally arrived quite late. Around 11 am I think. And it turned out great, Got everything done in 30 or 45 minutes and picked it up the next day. The hotel down the street is not the best ever but it wasn't a shit hole either. Aircon and free wifi and I will be okay for 1 night...

Around the corner if you walk out of the embassy and turn right there is a fairly decent coffee shop that serves some food as well. In the evening I walked much further down that street (I like walking) and I had a fairly decent pizza with a very good salad in a cowboy/country style restaurant. Staff was a bit lazy but I could have done worse.

Yes the whole Vientiane thing isn't the best trip in your life. But it's really not as bad as some people make it sound.

You have to wonder if the long lines are only caused by everyone wanting to be served first.

• Like 1

Having anybody experience with the Thai consulate in Saigon!??

"I heard that the Embassy in Hong Kong is easy and quick, any one tried it ??"

Yes & yes.

See the - latest reports of getting a visa in the region - link at the top of the page of this forum. Check out the listing of reports of tourist visas for those two cities.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/189375-latest-reports-of-getting-a-visa-in-the-region/

Edited by oldthaihand99

I was there 30 minutes before before they opened.. and i heard a lot of stories that its gonna be full of people.. I dont know if I got lucky or what but I got number 21 and there was maximum 20 persons behind me in the line... In and out in an hour or so.. wednesday

Edit: then i went for a breakfast the next day.. one guy i met had number 750 or smt

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by marsipan

Still looking forward to Savannaket.

Really ?its far worse than Vientiane ,but for different reasons .

It will be the first time I've tried a new destination for the purpose of getting a visa in a long time - have become an habitual Penang visitor. Yours is the first negative comment I've read about Savannaket - please enlighten us.

I think he does not like it because it is not a lively town for night life and etc. I have read a comment calling it a backwater place and etc.

It has been over 6 years since I was there but my wife and I enjoyed our stays there.

It was a few reasons ,and i have been there twice . .Firstly getting there can be difficult as busses from Udon Thani are ancient and one broke down on my last trip .We were all piled on to an already full bus for the remaining 5 hours.

The temperature there in April last was extreme .Far hotter than Chiang Mai where i live.

I was attacked by dogs on two seperate occasions in Savanaket.I had to use a stick to wade them off.

Restaurants are very limited ,and the French one i went to was way over prised.There was a pleasent one down by the river about 50 meters from the Thai Consulate though .

Will i go again ? Yes as its one of the few places to get a multiple O ,without a bank statement/book.On both occasions after getting my Visa things improved a lot .I got the night sleeper bus up to Vientiane which was pleasent enough.I liked Vientiane a lot .May good bars and restaurants at cheap prices .Also i love the beer Lao at half the price of Singha in Thailand.

No problems or long wait 2011 and 2014. My notes from my visa run in Vientiane:

Fri 31.01.2014

10:18 arrive at Thai Consulate

100 Baht passport pictures outside consulate (8 pictures, still use the remaining ones)

5 Baht photocopy passport page with Lao entry stamp 10:48

10:51-57 wait to pay 2000 Baht for visa

(overall about 40 minutes, could have done much faster, but read all documents carefully; there were only few people around)

decline offer by tout for same day visa

Mon 03.02.2014

13:05 gate open, but have to wait outside, few people around

enter 13:30, pick up passport, leave 13:38

Penang Consulate no longer permit the use of an agent. The source is the Consulate.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text