Longer holiday proposed for celebration of Queen's birthday on August 12

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A historical ploy used by The Roman Empire under Caesar. Make the populace happy by providing holidays, entertainment and basic food (in this case plenty of rice). Their attention is diverted from the real problems and corrupt officials

If longer holidays boost tourism and that's the cash cow, make all days free. That's what the direction looks like anyway, soon you can mark the days immigration is open by checking a few x's on the yearly calendar.

JoePai post # 3

Oh dear more holidays - do they not think of the work lost ................

So you think working a 10-12 hour day for 6 days a week for around 30 baht an hour is a breeze do you?

Do you work under those conditions for that salary?

Perhaps in reality the average Thai employee might just like or in fact deserve a bit more recovery time.

You obviously must be referring to the Burmese and Cambodian workers because the local workers are one of the laziest races I have had the misfortune to employ.

Don't have a holiday every week?I think there is only one other country in the world who has more holidays.India

• Like 1

Most places, it seems its always a holiday... Going to Big C, the staff congregate in groups, watch football, chit chat and are completely oblivious to doing a days work, let alone a hard days work.

• Like 1

I am sorry this is not a well thought out Idea. Just adding more days off for a long weekend does nothing for tourism. It is only a good idea for Thais not to half to work. The result will be they will go back to their respective provinces but not boster tourism in the country. Foreigners do not care if there is a long weekend or not in Thailand coming from another country. This has not been a well thought out idea. More importantly why not give foreigners who come for a holiday over the next while free medical insurance or a coupon for discounted hotels or a further 10% if they buy made in Thailand Now that will help spur spending and tourism . But just to make a holiday for a long weekend will do nothing for tourism TOT I thought you where smarter than this ?

While I'm all for it as it makes total sense IMO, 'The longer holiday will help to boost tourism as well, according to TAT' ... really??? I can just see the hoards jetting in for that extra day. NOT!

Local tourism matey pie, local. Do you think blackpool business owners reply on manchester airport?

Not all Thais travel in groups. There's a huge amount of young Bangkok couples who go to Samet, Huahinn etc on holidays...Even big groups are spending more money than if they stayed at home...All those big barbecues, beer etc are not free....If ou travel to Samet during Songkrang the island is full because of the influx of local, Thai tourists not because of foreign tourists....

JoePai post # 3

So you think working a 10-12 hour day for 6 days a week for around 30 baht an hour is a breeze do you?

Perhaps in reality the average Thai employee might just like or in fact deserve a bit more recovery time.

Minimum wage works out at 50 baht an hour on a 6 day week working 12 hour per day, of course many people do work for less unofficially.

Thailand has been through a pretty torrid time over the past few months and a lot of people are a bit fed up. To my mind this extra day's holiday is a good idea. It gives Thais who work away from home the chance to go home and visit family and friends for an extended break. It gives all Thais the chance to take some time out from work, to chill out.

And those Thais who work in the service/tourism industries and who choose to carry on working through the holiday (or perhaps don't even have a choice in the matter) will presumably get the chance to earn a little extra through some over-time pay.

Sure there is a risk of some roads getting clogged with traffic. And a risk of some restrictions on the sale of alcohol over the period. But for me those things are not deal breakers.

As I see it, the idea of an extra day of holiday and a 4 day long weekend break, overall, has a feel good factor to it and will be good for Thais and for Thailand. It will lift the mood of the country. I hope it happens. thumbsup.gif

While I'm all for it as it makes total sense IMO, 'The longer holiday will help to boost tourism as well, according to TAT' ... really??? I can just see the hoards jetting in for that extra day. NOT!

It seems like they are thinking more along the lines of Thai's flying/touring/visiting for a long Mother's Day weekend of 4 days as opposed to 2 days - work - then another off. It makes sense if looked at from that perspective.....

A lot of industries - schools included, would not benefit from the 2 off. 1 on. 1 off schedule.........

If you actually read the article you would realize they were talking about locals doing local tourism,or going home.

I think Thai people should get every Friday off, make it 52 long weekends a year

Pretty obvious they do not have enough holidays already

Even more glaringly obvious than your sneering sarcasm is your ignorance of the lives led by the people in whose country you happen to be a guest. Millions of Thai men and women routinely work a six-day week, with no paid holidays, for the kind of wages that would be beer money for the average falang.

So you truly are lucky, Lew.

JoePai post # 3

I think Joe might have been thinking about the work lost to companies and businesses. But people in the service industry won't get time off though will they and they work just as hard as other not in the service industry.

This is for locals right? So they can have a day off and go to the beach? err... Nope. An extra night to go and have a beer? err.. nope! How many "big" Buddha days are there already? another unpaid day off and nothing to do, this hasn't been thought through really methinks.

The utter negativity on here is astonishing.

Could only be worse if an elected ex-government had floated the same idea.........

My girls can have an extra day off and then work double hard to catch up their piecework rates or lose money.

JoePai post # 3

I think Joe might have been thinking about the work lost to companies and businesses. But people in the service industry won't get time off though will they and they work just as hard as other not in the service industry.

Agree, there's a lot of people who won't get the official holiday off, yet alone an additional day. A good chance no penalty rates for working them either.

I doubt rural Thailand takes a day off.

JoePai post # 3

What about the Thai costumers and the Thai business owners? They are also Thai and are affected as well. The society works as whole.

Now, if this holiday is good or not is another issue.

You do understand that Thai people are tourists if they travel on holiday ... it's not a farang-reserved designation.

No need to board a jet. During most long weekends places like Pattaya fill up with Bangkokians getting away.

I think Thai people should get every Friday off, make it 52 long weekends a year

Pretty obvious they do not have enough holidays already

While it may seem that government and bank holidays occur fairly often, the majority of lower level workers still have to show up to man the tills at everything from 7-Eleven to the malls and provide services for everyone who is actually able to enjoy a day off. Many have to work six days a week and others only get a couple of days off each month, whether or not some day is a legal holiday.

That is the overspill from Bang Saen, It is standing room only there on a holiday weekend

Oh dear more holidays - do they not think of the work lost .................

Take it that you don't work and live here? Let me inform you that many here works 6 days a week and often long hours. How many hours a week do you work yourself, turist?
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

JoePai post # 3

Perhaps he was looking at the larger picture, for companies committed to a completion date that will be put in danger of not being finished because of the half-thought out ideas of well meaning politicians.

Granted, at least this time they are giving a bit of notice.

Oh dear more holidays - do they not think of the work lost .................

Take it that you don't work and live here? Let me inform you that many here works 6 days a week and often long hours. How many hours a week do you work yourself, turist?

You should also mention they get 12 annual leave days, 8 personal leave days and 30 sick days per year.

• Like 1