Longer holiday proposed for celebration of Queen's birthday on August 12

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am guessing a lot of other expat posters like myself are retirees and have a holiday everyday. So, why are some getting a bent neck over what the Thai's do in regard to this special event?

JoePai post # 3

Oh dear more holidays - do they not think of the work lost ................

So you think working a 10-12 hour day for 6 days a week for around 30 baht an hour is a breeze do you?

Do you work under those conditions for that salary?

Perhaps in reality the average Thai employee might just like or in fact deserve a bit more recovery time.

I think Joe might have been thinking about the work lost to companies and businesses. But people in the service industry won't get time off though will they and they work just as hard as other not in the service industry.

Agree, there's a lot of people who won't get the official holiday off, yet alone an additional day. A good chance no penalty rates for working them either.

I doubt rural Thailand takes a day off.

A lot of farmers do out here where I live. The small businesses not so much as they are family run though some of the family will take turns at the shop and time off.

JoePai post # 3

So you think working a 10-12 hour day for 6 days a week for around 30 baht an hour is a breeze do you?

Perhaps in reality the average Thai employee might just like or in fact deserve a bit more recovery time.

Where on earth do you get your information from?

Thai workers work 8 hour shifts for 300 baht per day so 37.5 baht per hour and according to thai labor laws we are not allowed to deduct the time they spend in the bathroom smoking cigarettes from their daily wage.

Maybe you should hire some thais before you lament about how hard they have it.

Also for your information most of the thais I know prefer to hire Tai Yai because they work harder and actually show up for work most of the time.

JoePai post # 3

Minimum wage works out at 50 baht an hour on a 6 day week working 12 hour per day, of course many people do work for less unofficially.

How do you figure this?

minimum wage is 300 baht per day for a 6 day week. overtime for every hour over 8 and on sundays. lat i checked 300 baht / 8 hours was not 50 baht per hour but it isn't 30 baht per hour either.

I think Thai people should get every Friday off, make it 52 long weekends a year

Pretty obvious they do not have enough holidays already

Even more glaringly obvious than your sneering sarcasm is your ignorance of the lives led by the people in whose country you happen to be a guest. Millions of Thai men and women routinely work a six-day week, with no paid holidays, for the kind of wages that would be beer money for the average falang.

So you truly are lucky, Lew.

Obviously you have never hired any thais to perform work.

i have over a 12 year period.

When i was lucky enough to find a thai that actually put in a full 8 hours work I continuously increased their wages in order to keep them.

The sad truth is that most thais do not want to "work" any place they do not consider as a "fun" place to work. if you think any thai thinks hard work is fun you are sadly mistaken.

i can honestly tell you that offering a 10% bonus for merely showing up for work every day in a month had no effect nor did any other incentive i tried. In meetings I had with the workers they openly admitted that nothing would make them come to work more often or work more hard. they all wanted higher wages but were not willing to do anything more to get them.

Edited by wolfmanjack

JoePai post # 3

Minimum wage works out at 50 baht an hour on a 6 day week working 12 hour per day, of course many people do work for less unofficially.

How do you figure this?

minimum wage is 300 baht per day for a 6 day week. overtime for every hour over 8 and on sundays. lat i checked 300 baht / 8 hours was not 50 baht per hour but it isn't 30 baht per hour either.

Sorry my mistake, I was not aware that there are two minimum wages, I was going by the graduate starting rate.