Diesel excise tax poised to be raised by 1-3 baht

webfact

Diesel excise tax poised to be raised by 1-3 baht

PNECO570701001000201_01072014_010713.jpg

BANGKOK, 1 July 2014 (NNT) - The Excise Department remains confident that the diesel excise tax will be increased by 1 to 3 baht as the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has made it clear that it will not cling to the populist policy like the previous government.

Somchai Poonsawad, Director General of the Excise Department, quoted the NCPO policy to leave domestic oil prices to fluctuate according to the market forces.

He also said that since the NCPO would streamline the energy sector’s infrastructure and refrain from using populist policies, the diesel excise tax would no longer stay in the same rate as it had been for more than three years.

According to Mr. Somchai, the previous government’s long-term subsidy to diesel prices had led to an unrealistic domestic market mechanism. Diesel prices are currently at least 7 baht per liter cheaper than benzene oil prices.

The Excise Department Director-General also said that a rise of 1 baht per unit in diesel excise tax would yield an increase of 20,000 baht in revenue to the government.

Mr. Somchai expressed his support to the diesel tax hike, saying the money could be used to fund a few major infrastructure projects under the administration of the NCPO.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-01 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of inflammatory posts have been removed along with quoted replies, if you have a point please make without all the flaming, thank you.

"The Excise Department Director-General also said that a rise of 1 baht per unit in diesel excise tax would yield an increase of 20,000 baht in revenue to the government".

Anyone? I, and others would like to understand the impact?

"The Excise Department Director-General also said that a rise of 1 baht per unit in diesel excise tax would yield an increase of 20,000 baht in revenue to the government".

I read 1 unit to be 1 litre, so a rise of 1baht per litre on diesel. Unless someone has a better understanding!

I read 1 unit to be 1 litre, so a rise of 1baht per litre on diesel. Unless someone has a better understanding!

That's probably correct so thanks, I wonder however what the budget impact is though?

That's probably correct so thanks, I wonder however what the budget impact is though?

Should be easy to figure out.

The indirect impact less so I imagine.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If so easy, please post answer because I can't there!

If so easy, please post answer because I can't there!

Figure out how much of it is sold in Th and do the math...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sloppy reporting again, an increase of 20k baht probably intended a different number but I don't know what it might be.

Left afew zero's out somewhere.

Excellent decision

Why is that........?

Cause it costs him double to fill up his Crv on the 95 compared to your vigo

So what, Mr and Mrs average Thai don't drive high end rides. They drive work horses.....Diesels.

The guys jealous.........smile.png

Edited by transam
  • Like 2

Excellent decision

Why is that........?

Cause it costs him double to fill up his Crv on the 95 compared to your vigo

So what, Mr and Mrs average Thai don't drive high end rides. They drive work horses.....Diesels.

The guys jealous.........smile.png

I as many others don't see the reason why one group of private persons should ride cheaper as others. I for one would prefer a load of honda jazz drivers over all those trucks that just clog up BKK. Both drivers are certainly not rich so why let the trucks go for cheap fuel and not the cheap economy cars ?

Extra bonus you can fit much more honda jazz on the roads as trucks.

For businesses different story of course then I do understand the need to keep fuel costs down (else we all get inflation) but not for private persons.

Whats happening 'a non popular decision' from the man. Not to worry it will only raise prices across the whole economy. Inflation no less

Not all decisions can be popular unfortunately. However it will have far less influence as the raise in minimum salary done by the PTP that really made inflation go to extreme heights here in Thailand. Everyone said it would.. but they did not listen.

I do feel that maybe they should make some rules to ensure businesses not private persons can get to cheaper fuel.

Edited by robblok

So you want poor folk show there income at the gas station.......?

Just fair taxing for both diesel and benzine not one cheaper as the other for non business people.

Why would a poor person driving a honda jazz need to pay more as a poor person driving a diesel ?

As long as the extra money is used on roads its a big win.