Air purifier which to buy?

mrmicbkktxl

I would like to buy an air purifier but have no idea which one to buy.At lazada the most sold brand is XPX,but it is very cheap makes me wonder if it really helping.

Also saw Xiaomi and Electrolux.Does anyone has experience with purifiers?What is the difference between a 20k and 700thb purifier?

• Thanks 1

The best option is having one integral to your aircon. Most modern inverter aircons will have some air purifier options incorporated, some more than others.  Mine, set on 'dry' rather than 'cool', seem to be very effective.  

Edited by stats
misinfo claim removed
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Unless it vents to the outside, it is next to useless.  The best option is having one integral to your aircon. Most modern inverter aircons will have some air purifier options incorporated, some more than others.  Mine, set on 'dry' rather than 'cool', seem to be very effective.  

If I set my aircon to dry it will stop after the huminidy is gone.I read somewhere those purifiers need to run 24/7

18 minutes ago, samtam said:

THB19,300

Sorry to be so flippant.

I have Xiomi. 

2 smaller ones in the bedrooms, and one large one in the living room.

As to their effectiveness, I have no way of measuring that, but there is a indoor air quality monitor device you can buy on Lazada to measure. 

Edited by samtam
  • Agree 1

Just now, samtam said:

Sorry to be so flippant.

I have Xiomi. 

2 smaller ones in the bedrooms, and one large one in the living room.

As to their effectiveness, I have no way of measuring that, but there is a device you can buy an indoor air quality monitor. 

yeah,I have Sndway pm25 detector already.I have a few Xiaomi devices(phone,watch,scale) already and they work ok

• Like 1

If you already have Xiamoi devices make sure the version is the TH region, otherwise you'll have to remove all the devices and redo your Xiamoi setup to Chinese. Nearly all Xiamoi 4 ones on lazada are grey imports except from the two official stores. If you don't plan on using the app for scheduling you can probably get away with Chinese version. They always have sales on the big lazada days - next is 3/3/2024 if not in a rush. The 4 lite is sufficient for most rooms. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Air purifiers don't need to run 24/7. If you get Xiaomi (I have these so I'm confident, but I would bet some others have the same), they are Wifi connected and controlled from mobile phone. On the phone, you can select schedule, and if you take whole home automation set, with air quality sensors, you can make even a lot more detailed automation of when to run, like when you're on the way home, turn it on 30 minutes before you arrive, etc.

I have one air purifier in each room. Set the bedroom ones to work overnight, and living/working room ones to work over the daytime but turn off at night. That can be easily overridden if pollution outside is really bad and a single air purifier can't handle it by simply turning others on by app or touch button on the box.

I prefer Xiaomi not only because they are cheap, but because they have air quality sensors and display with current information, can be controlled from phone, and have easily obtainable filter cartridges which cost about 800-900 baht each and last (in my case) about 9 months with schedule enabled, or about 6 months if running 24/7.

One word of caution with XIaomi - they have global and China versions. They use different cloud locations. So if you have China version, all is in Chinese and App has to be set to mainland China. I have all items Global versions, so I can control them all from same app. You'd need 2 phones if you had a mix. Chinese versions are usually a little cheaper than Global version.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

If I set my aircon to dry it will stop after the huminidy is gone.I read somewhere those purifiers need to run 24/7

The dry thing is true, but mine usually never switches off. Not sure about the 24/7 bit, but I dont see much point in running it if pollution levels are low. 

18 minutes ago, mfinasi said:

If you already have Xiamoi devices make sure the version is the TH region, otherwise you'll have to remove all the devices and redo your Xiamoi setup to Chinese. Nearly all Xiamoi 4 ones on lazada are grey imports except from the two official stores. If you don't plan on using the app for scheduling you can probably get away with Chinese version. They always have sales on the big lazada days - next is 3/3/2024 if not in a rush. The 4 lite is sufficient for most rooms. 

Yeah,I noticed that they sell  global and chinese versions I guess I have only global devices

Doesn't matter which brand you buy- make sure of a few things:

1. It has at minimum both a HEPA filter (for dust etc) and an active charcoal filter. (for smells, smoke, etc). I recently bought an Imarflex IF-067R, and was surprised to learn after-the-fact that it doesn't have a carbon filter. It does double as a fan which is a nice feature that oddly most manufacturers lack.

2. Size does matter - choose the right size for the room(s) - there's plenty of generic ones on lazada that are very cheap but are actually desktop size and don't really do much except look pretty.

3. Xiaomi is a bit pricier but it does work very well provided the fan is set to a high enough level. On low mode it's pretty silent but doesn't do much - on high mode it filters great but sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Probably best to alternate the two depending on whether you're in the room.

4. If you do choose Xiaomi, the air comes out on top which is kind of inconvenient - they do have accessories to redirect the air so you can actually point it where you want but you have to buy that separately.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

HEPA filters typically need to be replaced every one year or so

My experience has been every 6 months running them 24/7. Also keep in mind that charcoal filters need to be replaced every 1-2 months to actually be effective - but no one replaces that often. If PM2.5 is your main concern every 6 months would work.

As for Hatari- I bought one which arrived DOA. Turned on for about 5 seconds before burning out. Trashed it and got the exact same purifier, but from Imarflex - which works. I think eventually I'll go back to Xiaomi as they're more effective depending on the noise level.

I'm happy with the Xiaomi Air Purifier 4 for 2,500 baht. Good for 40 sqm. room. The app tells me the AQI(currently 13) and says my filter is currently at 68% after 8 months. If I turn it off the AQI usually measures in the low 20's

Edited by Furioso

29 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

My experience has been every 6 months running them 24/7. Also keep in mind that charcoal filters need to be replaced every 1-2 months to actually be effective - but no one replaces that often. If PM2.5 is your main concern every 6 months would work

As I  said above, depends on usage....

For me here in Bangkok, air pollution is really only a major problem during the burning season, typically Nov-Dec to Mar-April. That's the period when there's the most gunk in the air, and accumulating on your HEPA filter...

Also, there's steps you can take to extend the life of the HEPA filter. For example, my Sharp unit came with a back cover that serves as a pre-filter, keeping the larger particles away from the HEPA filter. And that back pre-filter can be easily removed and rinsed clean indefinitely.

Also, I added my own hand-cut carbon filter sheets inside my Sharp unit between the pre-filter and HEPA filter. And the carbon filter sheets also catch stuff that makes it thru the pre-filter, further protecting the HEPA filter. Those carbon filter sheets are relatively cheap. They cannot be washed. But they can be vacuumed with HEPA hand vac or HEPA house vac to extend their life.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1