LOS no more?

MZurf

Maybe it's just something to do with shoe shops? For almost 10 years I've been using the shoe shop on the north side of South Pattaya Road, about halfway between the beach and Second Road. They've always been helpful and when they see you looking they're quick to show you what's available and get your size. Yesterday afternoon I spent 5 minutes looking at shoes, then waved to the sales guy to come over. I was surprised he hadn't already done so, but he just looked at me glumly and ignored me. So I left, no point in making a fuss. Weird behaviour though.

• Like 2

If it the shop in Fesitval, that shoe department staff is in need of a dire refresh, I stopped disturbing them after my first visit was met with 'you are bothering me to get you a pair to try on" attitude.

• Like 1

They've dealt w/ far too many farang idiots and time-wasters already and rightly assume the worst. Get used to it. Of course, the management of the establishment can make a critical difference.

Now, it's a fun challenge to speak some Thai, joke around a bit, and turn around the whole perception--ending w/ a nice experience and favorable impression for both parties.

Pattaya is just a small part of Thailand.

Nonsense post.

I'm from a tourist town and I've been to many other tourist towns.

The customers didn't turn the staff into bitter, lazy racists.

Even in Paris they are allot nicer than the Thais.

They've dealt w/ far too many farang idiots and time-wasters already and rightly assume the worst. Get used to it. Of course, the management of the establishment can make a critical difference.

Now, it's a fun challenge to speak some Thai, joke around a bit, and turn around the whole perception--ending w/ a nice experience and favorable impression for both parties.

Pattaya is just a small part of Thailand.

This is pretty much spot on!

In Thailand, you should feel privileged that you are served.

Do not expect any smiles or Thank you's.

In fact you should wai the shop assistant and say a thousand Kop koun khrap to him/her, for wasting their precious time on you.

It takes a little time.......but eventually you will learn also.thumbsup.gif

Nonsense. We all sometimes encounter tired and unhappy sales people, just as would be the case everywhere in the world where people have to work long hours for poor pay, but far more often I find such people to be surprisingly pleasant (surprising because if I had to do what they do for that pay I would be unhappy) and helpful. Even the cashiers and bag boys/girls in the grocery stores are almost always smiling and say thank you in Thai when you're finished.

Too many farang obsess about their fear of losing face if sales people don't greet Khun Farang with a toothy smile and act like listening to him/her babble incoherently is the high point of their day. Get over yourself. Go to another shop. Whether you buy something or not, don't turn it into an international headline event.

In fact you should wai the shop assistant and say a thousand Kop koun khrap to him/her, for wasting their precious time on you.

Gee the mystery deepens as to why people treat you like they do. Maybe kissing Bwana Farang's bottom isn't in their job description. If you could afford to go into a high end retailer, you might get treated like the royalty you seem to think you are.

It's not just the 'Bwana Farang' who notices though. When I visited England with my Thai wife last year she was amazed at how friendly and helpful all the shop assistants were. Her comment 'never see like this in Thailand' tells the story.

1. They expect you to throw money at them to get service , I think many Thais are in deep financial stress,as the booming tourist industry is now on the wane and many businesses here are almost bust, If they were friendly they would have customers, LOS is dead.

How many times do you see in the large department stores that they are well over staffed, but most of them just stand around talking to each other and doing sweet FA. If you ask one them something they look at you as though you are one that is ignorant and disturbing them. Last week I tried to buy a sandwich in a small shop. 5 x staff behind the counter and all talking to each other. I stood there for maybe 40 seconds and they could see that I was waiting for them to serve me - very clearly- but no one came. I just left the sandwich on the counter ( with a firm squeeze ) and walked out. You might say that this is not typical- but in Pattaya and Jomtien I think it is more typical than not !

Yes this is Thailand and we should let them be who they want to be, but I also think that this lack of assertiveness needs addressing because it can't be good for the Country !

• Like 1

I think the point being missed here is not the fact that they are tired and having a miserable day and therefore we should excuse them for that, but that their job is to sell. To ignore a customer when he walks into a shop is not acceptable. The fault lies with both management and the staffer. The sales assistant is hired to assist and sell - what's so complicated about that? I went to Tukcom yesterday and started to look at a product, but the staff had pressed the ignore button. So I went to another shop where the young woman salesperson was speaking in Russian to a Russian guy and his wife. I liked the way she was interacting. She looked at me and said "Just a moment, sir." So I was happy to wait. When she finally got around to me, she showed me a range of products, demonstrated them and answered every question without hesitation. I was only 50-50 about buying. But ended up paying almost double what I figured I should pay because she made the choice so easy. Top class sales work by her. I'm sure she, too, gets a lot of "tyre kickers" at her stall, but it seems she doesn't let it faze her.

PS: Booths in Big C south - there has been a serious attitude problem with the staff there for a very long time. I refuse to go there.

Edited by WitawatWatawit
  • Like 1