Thai Customs for passengers travelling in and out of Thailand.

neverdie

What brings a tourist?

Suitcase hardshell B 10000

Sunglasses 2 pair. B15000

Camera. B15000

Few brand name

Shirts/ shorts. B20.000

Watch(no rolex). B20.000

Jewerly (no much). B80.000

Phone. B25.000

Tablet. B20.000

Cosmetics. B10.000

2 pair shoes. B15.000

Total. B240.000

That tourist is insane. $250 for a pair of sunglasses? $300 in cosmetics? Two thousand six hundred dollars in jewelry? Is he coming here for a Ray-Ban photo shoot with Zsa Zsa Gabor?

No these prices are VERY realistic.

I talk about brand name stuff not fake Chinese junk.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"brand name stuff, not fake Chinese junk"

You are obviously not aware of how much "brand name stuff" is made in China!

biggrin.png

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

neverdie, on 01 Jul 2014 - 14:32, said:neverdie, on 01 Jul 2014 - 14:32, said:

Thanks for posting on topic.

I smile at customs with my solid gold tooth or teethes (how do English write more than one tooth w. t . f.

Please NeverDie just loose the es, at then end of teethes

It is = Teeth biggrin.png

As one of Liverpool good player's sank his teethes into "This Year's Golden Tooth or Teeth, World Cup 2014 Award" .

And I am not a native (English) speaker by the way. but Kan spell a little w00t.gif

Win wai.gif

Edited by Kan Win
  • Like 2

I've experienced Thai Customs' valuation of overseas goods before, in the case of Xmas hampers. They err on the side of better safe than sorry ... by a considerable margin.

But imposing duty on goods being worn, which might well have been purchased on an earlier trip, seems, to me, highly questionable.

............But he said that as the notice has caused concern among the people, he has ordered that it be removed..........

Since when did the Customs dept give a flying <deleted> about people's concerns?

You mean the army told you to remove it.

Quite frankly I don't really understand the whole fuss. To start with this customs regulation has been in force for years, albeit it has never been strictly enforced. The second thing I fail to understand is the expressed indignation at the low limit and its "introduction". Most western countries have the same, or similar regulations with even lower, or similar limits. It is another question how these regulations are enforced and put into practice. So before getting that excited let's wait and see. There is a saying in German -Die Suppe wird nie so heiß gegessen wie gekocht; translated into English it says "The soup is never consumed as hot as it is cooked....

I don't know of ANY single western country trying to tax the incoming TOURISTS on their used brand name underwear! :D Read this Thai law again and try to understand what it says.

Yes there are limits on what a CITIZEN can take back with them when they return to their western home countries, but to tax tourists on their personal belongings??? Good this law has never been enforced.

• Like 2

The Bangkok Post has just put up an article saying this order is NOT going to be enforced. A new person has taken over, as of Monday, and made a statement on this late last night.

WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw this earlier on the Thai PBS site. I was a bit shocked at how low it was and that one could not bring gifts - the gifts part really caught me off-guard. However, the U.S. limit for tourists as I recollect is pretty low too (I was filling out the form recently when coming to USA and realized since I wasn't staying in USA I fell into different group). I can understand Thai customs wanting to crack down on people smuggling items in for resell - any country would do that. But it seems the policy that was being enforced was pretty inflexible and scary. I never bring alcohol or cigarettes (I don't smoke) but as I said, the gifts thing surprised me. Was glad to see the article at Thai PBS, it just seems rude not to bring something back from a trip for friends...

UPDATE:

Customs notice removed

customs-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Customs Department has removed a notice put up at the Suvarnabhumi airport's arrival terminal requiring inbound passengers to declare their personal effects for taxation.

The notice caused a big stir and concern for in-bound passengers and was shared widely on the social network with questions ranging from whether it is a tighter customs control to chaos among people bringing personal effects for commercial purposes.

But Mr Somchai Sujjapongse, the new director general of the Customs Department, made clear that the notice which was causing concern among inbound passengers has been removed.

He said the notice was previously put up for outbound passengers but it was only three weeks ago that such notice was also put up at the arrival terminal for inbound passengers.

It was the policy of the former customs chief, he said.

But he said that as the notice has caused concern among the people, he has ordered that it be removed.

He said he believed the notice was just meant to give information to the people and it was not an adoption of new customs regulation on personal effects.

He said customs officials would continue to check inbound passengers on a random basis.

The notice requires inbound passengers to declare all personal effects worth more than 10,000 baht which are brought into the country either for personal use or to be given to others as gifts for taxation.

According to the notice, gifts which were bought for friends, relatives or bosses are not regarded as personal effects and must also be taxed. The same also applies to brand name products such as handbags or wristwatches worth more than 10,000 baht are subjected to taxation.

The new measure was said to be intended to prevent merchants from exploiting the rule regarding personal effects to smuggle brand name and foreign products into the country.

Those who fail to declare the high-priced personal effects while going through customs checkpoints will risk facing heavy fine of up to four times of the price or jail term of up to 10 years if they get caught.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/customs-notice-removed/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-07-02

He said the notice was previously put up for outbound passengers but it was only three weeks ago that such notice was also put up at the arrival terminal for inbound passengers.

It was the policy of the former customs chief, he said.

It wasnt my fault it was the old chief......What a cop out... ... cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What he meant is there was such an uproar they crapped themselves and thought again.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

If LOS is going to impose tax on household goods as described, corporations or organizations will have two choices: 1) Compensate their employees for the additional expense; b)Move their offices to another country which does not have such onerous customs regulations.

You're forgetting option c, which seems to be getting popular with more and more multi-national companies:

c) Mail the employee's paycheck to a different country and tell them he can pick it up with no more than a company paid flight...or not. And if he chooses not to pick it up, there won't be a paycheck back home, either.

I'm in an industry where the expat packages are still pretty good (not nearly as good as 10 years ago). But I've met a lot of folks abroad with no preferential treatment, even in some of the stankiest places. They went because there was no job for them in the home office any more.

My suspicion is that this poorly executed edict was meant to prevent people from bringing in items for resale in Thailand without paying duties and taxes. I'd be surprised if it affects 90% of us from countries where the typical salary is higher than Thailand's. But if they see a "tourist" from a low income country coming in with 5 big suitcases- alarm bells will go off.

I'm not going to sweat it, but I do appreciate the heads up from the OP.

Maybe a bit exaggerated, but the point is that all western tourists exceed the 10,000 baht limit.

Not all, I didn't even return to the U.S. for 5 years (and that was only because of the death of my brother)... I'm just an ordinary person, only things to bring back were cornbread mix, gravy mix, some of my clothes I left behind, and some inexpensive dream catchers as souvenirs for my friends...

Quite frankly I don't really understand the whole fuss. To start with this customs regulation has been in force for years, albeit it has never been strictly enforced. The second thing I fail to understand is the expressed indignation at the low limit and its "introduction". Most western countries have the same, or similar regulations with even lower, or similar limits. It is another question how these regulations are enforced and put into practice. So before getting that excited let's wait and see. There is a saying in German -Die Suppe wird nie so heiß gegessen wie gekocht; translated into English it says "The soup is never consumed as hot as it is cooked....

I don't know of ANY single western country trying to tax the incoming TOURISTS on their used brand name underwear! biggrin.png Read this Thai law again and try to understand what it says.

Yes there are limits on what a CITIZEN can take back with them when they return to their western home countries, but to tax tourists on their personal belongings??? Good this law has never been enforced.

You are right that tourists are not taxed on used underwear, brand or not... BUT tourists are taxed EQUAL to citizens of the country for new items that customs assumes will be left in the country, either as present or for re-sell. A "tourist" coming with 10 brand new watches for "personal use" will NOT be belived and will be taxed for import of watches (including fine for not reporting through the red exit).

You are right that tourists are not taxed on used underwear, brand or not... BUT tourists are taxed EQUAL to citizens of the country for new items that customs assumes will be left in the country, either as present or for re-sell. A "tourist" coming with 10 brand new watches for "personal use" will NOT be belived and will be taxed for import of watches (including fine for not reporting through the red exit).

Yes someone coming in with multiple numbers of same type of items (watches, phones, etc) are going to be hit with tax as it obviously can't be personal items or for a personal use. But the wording of the Thai law makes its interpretation clear as mud. The way I see it, any item, including any item you wear on you, can be taxed it the total value of everything you bring exceeds 10K baht. I can walk through empty handed and still exceed this amount and possibly their other (80K baht) limit...

I have to assume that this is only going to apply if they see you with a bag full of resalable products in thailand. Example: A boxful of high end leather bags that you wish to resell in thailand or give to your family etc.. Many Suitcases alone cost 10,000 baht! This is just Thailand being Thailand. They aren't going to take your wedding ring, but, if they find 50 Diamond rings in your luggage, you may have some explaining to do! Just my opinion.

What brings a tourist?

Suitcase hardshell B 10000

Sunglasses 2 pair. B15000

Camera. B15000

Few brand name

Shirts/ shorts. B20.000

Watch(no rolex). B20.000

Jewerly (no much). B80.000

Phone. B25.000

Tablet. B20.000

Cosmetics. B10.000

2 pair shoes. B15.000

Total. B240.000

That tourist is insane. $250 for a pair of sunglasses? $300 in cosmetics? Two thousand six hundred dollars in jewelry? Is he coming here for a Ray-Ban photo shoot with Zsa Zsa Gabor?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"brand name stuff, not fake Chinese junk"

You are obviously not aware of how much "brand name stuff" is made in China!

biggrin.png

I agree, but I just can't see them following this rule. They will only use it if they see a real need, such as:

- Someone bringing in a box full of high dollar watches (For resale?)

- Basically, anything they feel is for resale

- Gifts for family... many people travel abroad and return with boxes full of gifts for family.

We shall see.

neverdie, on 01 Jul 2014 - 14:32, said:neverdie, on 01 Jul 2014 - 14:32, said:

Thanks for posting on topic.

I smile at customs with my solid gold tooth or teethes (how do English write more than one tooth w. t . f.

Please NeverDie just loose the es, at then end of teethes

It is = Teeth biggrin.png

As one of Liverpool good player's sank his teethes into "This Year's Golden Tooth or Teeth, World Cup 2014 Award" .

And I am not a native (English) speaker by the way. but Kan spell a little w00t.gif

Win wai.gif

English is such a daft language, very confusing, bits of this and that and depending on what part of farang land you are from you sound different and use different ways of saying the same word.

Have you ever heard the English say, "Happy". I heard an Englishman the other day, he said, "Are you appy". I said, "Appy?". He said, "Yes, opposite to sad". I was confused and quickly ran away from him. 55555

• Like 1

Roo,

Why still so naive ? Moderator of your experience. 555555

Let's see, two ants climbing the wall, how many pages on TVF do u reakon the boys and girls here could argue over that one?

the girls are the worst ;)

Roo,

Let's see, two ants climbing the wall, how many pages on TVF do u reakon the boys and girls here could argue over that one?

the girls are the worst wink.png

Not naive at all , just pointing out nicely , that like any other topics , some posters fail to read any of the posts & just shoot from the hip.

Letting it go, I reckon there is a few more 40 to 100 K watches to be revealed, perhaps some designer leather specialty gear, oh God forbid , where am I going with this.

Just saying more to be revealed .12 pages by the end of the week.

• Like 1

Roo,

Not naive at all , just pointing out nicely , that like any other topics , some posters fail to read any of the posts & just shoot from the hip.

Letting it go, I reckon there is a few more 40 to 100 K watches to be revealed, perhaps some designer leather specialty gear, oh God forbid , where am I going with this.

My humour doesnt really translate to these pages too well, sometimes. I see what you do.

My last comment for this thread is;

Imagine being a pheasant who only wears a 100k watch :P

• Like 1

Roo,

My humour doesnt really translate to these pages too well, sometimes. I see what you do.

My last comment for this thread is;

Imagine being a pheasant who only wears a 100k watch tongue.png

I quit wearing watches when I retired!!

wai2.gif

• Like 2

wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

How did you tell the time then? They didn't have mobile phones when you retired. Tell the time by the sun, very clever.

• Like 1

wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

How did you tell the time then? They didn't have mobile phones when you retired. Tell the time by the sun, very clever.

He was actually talking about his 'Batman Watch' his mommy got him when he was 12. It was the same watch he wore right throughout his career and the only watch he really understood because little Robin would pop out the top of it when it was time to eat lunch.

Craig thinks watches are for telling time......here in LOS they merely establish ones status, as everyone knows Thai time never matches the clock anyhow. :P

Signs warning against carrying more than 10,000 baht worth of items into Thailand removed

BANGKOK, 3 July 2014 (NNT) – The Customs Department has removed signs on the arrival floor of Suvarnabhumi Airport that warned about taxes against carrying more than 10,000 baht of items into Thailand from abroad.

The message on the sign warned that personal effects valued more than 10,000 could not be brought into Thailand without notifying customs officials at the customs points. The signs were previously put up around the departure zone at the airport. The appearance of the signs on the arrivals zone reportedly drew concern from arriving tourists.

Customs Department director-general Somchai Satchaphong said the signs had been added to the arrivals zone for about 3 weeks. He said the signs were not his policy, and that he had already ordered them removed to prevent causing distress to the public. He believed the signs were only meant to provide information and did not signal an intense measure regarding travelers' baggage. The method of random inspection of baggage is still in use in the same manner as before.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-03 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

insane indeed, but only in the opinion of poor little men whistling.gif

No, in my opinion too. Do you really think that's a typical tourist? Seriously, who travels to a wet, dirty country with the intention to wear a $250 pair of shoes? Fool, money, parted.
I don't know what a "typical" tourist is. "Wet and dirty"...some locations perhaps. But other parts are cleaner than my home town.

As for the "fool" comment. I prefer to leave name calling to others that travel down that same road.

In that case you're not talking about the typical tourist, as your initial post had suggested.

I'd like to see the $250 pair of shoes that you use to go tramping around Ayutthaya.

A good quality pair of hiking shoes can cost easy $250!

• Like 1