Thai Authors

dantilley

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for any books written by Thai authors that are well written and enjoyable to read? And, also, that have been translated into English.

I'm thinking here of works that are critically acclaimed on a world-wide scale, maybe not quite dickens, but some books that can hold their own against modern successful fiction.

Are there any out there?

Cheers,

Dan.

Wow, dantilley,

Just noticed your avatar, the good news is that season tickets are selling well since last seasons disaster.

Raging Bull not yet translated into Thai, but to answer your question there was a couple of recent posts regarding authors and books and one thread related to a particular Isarn author.

If I find the thread or post I'll get back to you.

Regards, from the 'Dreaming Spires'.

Moss

Here it is, Moss...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Nobel Prize for Literature nominee living in rural Isan? It's true! I recommend ANY of Pira Sudham's books. The author, from a little village in Buriram Province, was educated abroad and explains Isan culture to the rest of the world, writing in high-quality English, utilizing fiction as his medium. He has an excellent vantage point from three cultures: Thai, Isan and the West.

Especially if you live upcountry, well worth the read. My Isan university students confirm that his writings are culturally on-target. It has heavily influenced (and helped) my own relationships with the people of Isan.

Of his 5-6 books, I'd recommend starting with:

Monsoon Country

then

The Force of Karma

Both books are also combined into a recent anthology, Shadowed Country.

What's better is that the works are not adulterated by a translation into English. This Isan author uses English as his only medium. His works are currently being translated and published into five other languages, giving them an even wider world-wide readership.

Edited by toptuan

P.S. Here's the thread: "Books About Thailand, What's Your Favorite? Most Important?" A number of Thai authors are included in the discussion.

Probably unbeknownst to the OP, a boxing ring has been set up. Discussions about books and authors tend to become very high-pitched and personal on this forum.

Round one.

Opening punch: Don't listen to anything OldAsianHand says about Sudham! :o

P.S. Here's the thread: "Books About Thailand, What's Your Favorite? Most Important?" A number of Thai authors are included in the discussion.

Probably unbeknownst to the OP, a boxing ring has been set up. Discussions about books and authors tend to become very high-pitched and personal on this forum.

Round one.

Opening punch: Don't listen to anything OldAsianHand says about Sudham! :o

I'll duck and dive this issue, me thinks.

Moss

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for any books written by Thai authors that are well written and enjoyable to read? And, also, that have been translated into English.

I'm thinking here of works that are critically acclaimed on a world-wide scale, maybe not quite dickens, but some books that can hold their own against modern successful fiction.

To be honest, I think that the answer is no.

There are no world class Thai authors that might get a Nobel prize for literature some day, but there are a few that are worthwhile for a better undertanding of the local cuture or just a pleasant story or two. :o

Hi,

Are there any out there?

Cheers,

Dan.

I recommend Chart Korbjitti:

His books "The Judgement" and "Time" won Asian regional book awards I believe. Other books of his that I've read "Mad Dogs and Company" and "No Way Out" are quite good as well.

As for Pira Sudham's books mentioned above, I'd say "People of Esarn" is quite good. "Monsoon Season" is interesting and not bad. "The Force of Karma" is schlock however, but I'm not convinced the schlock isn't a literary device of the author, so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Hi,

To be honest, I think that the answer is no.

There are no world class Thai authors that might get a Nobel prize for literature some day, but there are a few that are worthwhile for a better undertanding of the local cuture or just a pleasant story or two. :o

I agree. The answer, alas, really is no.