Health Cards for Foreigners Ceased.

Liquorice

There are also situations wherein a Thai who is covered under UCS would nonetheless need to pay full fee. if, for example, they opted to go to a hospital other than the one they are registered at, and without having been referred by same... and there are many reasons/situations where it might be worth the cost to do so.

Totally true, friend of mine had motorbike accident on my bike.
Cost her 13.500 at government hospital on Koh Samui.
For the 30 baht thingy she had to travel to Surin.
This is a way to keep the farmers home.

Fortunately my bike insurance covered her medical bill.

You're lucky lucky it was only ฿13,500 bike insurance only covers you to ฿15,000 anything over that you pay. I had an accident last year, 3 operations, and 8 days in the hospital, total cost. ฿47,500, the insurance paid ฿​15,000 and the guy who cut me off paid ฿30,000 so I was only out ฿2,500.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

meatboy, on 05 Jul 2014 - 07:34, said:
Faz, on 04 Jul 2014 - 16:48, said:

Hi Sheryl,

Every Thai citizen not covered under other public schemes are covered by the UCS scheme.

The 30 baht scheme as it was known.

The Baht 30 copayment was abolished by the next government in November 2006, and the system was totally free of charge.

It is however run on a population basis of taxpayers, so may vary from region to region.

Certainly in this part of Issan all Thais have continued to pay the 30 baht for each treatment.

I'll tell you my experience so far then you'll understand where I'm coming from. I just want clarity on the position in Thailand, but that seems impossible as it varies from what you read, to what your told. I do appreciate your comments and time to reply.

I arrived from the UK 2 months ago but had an unfortunate accident. I certainly wasn't charged what a Thai would have been charged!

I'd just got back on my feet when I got an insect in my eye and an eye infection. Again I wasn't charged what a Thai would have been charged!

I couldn't get Private Medical cover from any Insurance organisations in the UK. As a tourist, Yes. As a migrant, No.

I found out about the Foreigners Health Card from other expats, and hence that was why I visited the hospital again.

I wasn't previously registered, but now I am and told I will get treatment for 30 baht per visit in the future, just the same as a Thai.

Sounds to good to be true and probably is.

We have a similar system in the UK, the NHS. It is not available to foreign tourists from outside the EU. But foreigners who have a Visa to reside in the UK get full free medical treatment just the same as a UK citizen.

Now it seems to me that Thailand has adopted a similar system, but with a 30 baht charge.

Would it be stretching it to far to expect a foreigner to get the same treatment, at the same cost.

I don't work, but still pay VAT taxes on goods and services.

I'll continue to clarify the position with the hospital and report anything new.

My fear is that if in the future I needed further medical treatment, I get told I was misinformed in the first place.

Needless to say I never had any health issues in the UK, but sods law, the minute you move out of your comfort zone, something happens.

I'm getting older, that doesn't help.

couldn't get medical cover in the uk.as a tourist that's strange I thought it was insurance cover which nearly all holliday makers take out.or is it that you are not a tourist.i spoke to one of the office staff here in korat[NO CHANGE] TO WHAT IT WAS WHEN I REGISTERED,last yr.2,800bht.

I'm not a Tourist. I'd be stupid not to take out Travel Insurance in the UK if I was holidaying anywhere.

I'm on a 90 day Non-Imm. Off to Immigration next week for 12 month retirement extension.

citizen33, on 04 Jul 2014 - 23:19, said:
kriswillems, on 04 Jul 2014 - 21:27, said:

May I ask why people with a 30B card have to pay 30B?

Every time my Thai son goes to the hospital for something small, they take care of him for free. We never had to pay 30B.

Originally when the 30 baht scheme was introduced in 2001/02, the co-payment was uniform and mandatory for most members, though those with specially coded cards were exempt from the fee. Later this fee was abolished by the appointed civilian government after the 2006 coup, largely on the basis that the administration costs outweighed the extra revenue generated (the main funding came from an annual capitation payment plus DRG payments, not from what patients paid direct to hospitals). As we know, the fee was reintroduced under the Yingluck government, but this time it was left to individual hospitals to decide whether or not they wished to collect and keep it. Thus some do and some do not. I am not 100% sure, but think that those hospitals that do charge may offer fee exemptions for some poorer, older and younger patients. Bringing back the co-payment on this basis was not popular in the MoPH and NHSO because it was such a mishmash.

@citizen33,

Thank you for your time and effort for your previous Post#23 and this one.

Despite the research I previously carried out, you explained the situation much clearer and more precise than anything else I've read before.

Nice to know some TV members will go out of their way to assist other less fortunate in their knowledge. Thank you.

I'm now not the only farang to be told about the cessation of 'Foreigners Health Cards' in this Changwat.

I believe it's up to each hospital to make their own decisions at the moment, so it will vary across Thailand. (Nothing new their then)!

However I still find it hard to accept that the Government hospital here will afford me the same treatment at the same cost as a Thai.

It's become quite a talking point in this neck of the woods and some expats who paid 2,800 baht only last month feel aggrieved that others are now getting the same deal for no outlay. It's a little late to wait until a farang needs urgent medical treatment to find out the hospital 'got it wrong', so a party is going to question the hospitals tomorrow to get to the bottom of the current situation here. Their assisted by a Thai English speaking nurse who is as confused as we are.

I'm not holding my breath!

However I still find it hard to accept that the Government hospital here will afford me the same treatment at the same cost as a Thai.

The treatment is the same cus farang/foreign workers pays 2,800 Baht per year. Whereas a Thai pays no annual charge. Farangs etc pay are paying an insurance premium. He get the same benefits cus insurance companies make money ie the government in this case. I lay odds that this scheme will still be running in years to come. Always seems to be teething problems when initiating new rules in Thailand.

I used my card today, everything free. Not even the 30 Baht. My wife went at the same time to see the doc and was charged 30 Baht under the Thai scheme. The card has not been revoked in any hospitals around where I live, as far as I know to date.

sinbin, on 09 Jul 2014 - 20:40, said:
Faz, on 07 Jul 2014 - 01:16, said:

The treatment is the same cus farang/foreign workers pays 2,800 Baht per year. Whereas a Thai pays no annual charge. Farangs etc pay are paying an insurance premium. He get the same benefits cus insurance companies make money ie the government in this case. I lay odds that this scheme will still be running in years to come. Always seems to be teething problems when initiating new rules in Thailand.

I used my card today, everything free. Not even the 30 Baht. My wife went at the same time to see the doc and was charged 30 Baht under the Thai scheme. The card has not been revoked in any hospitals around where I live, as far as I know to date.

You misinterpreted my post.

For the time being the 'Foreigners Health Card' scheme has been ceased. That means they will not enrol or issue new cards at the moment.

Those already holding cards will be treated just the same as before, your card is still valid.

Whether a hospital charges 30 baht or a visit is free, is at the discretion of the hospital who are funded per capita of population for the area of their coverage.

Some hospitals find the funding adequate and therefore don't charge, others have to subsidise their funding with a 30 baht charge to meet their budget costs.

Incidentally yesterday the hospital in Roi Et told me they expect the scheme to restart in Sept/Oct when a new temporary government is in office

The point I was making Sinbin is that at the moment I haven't and can't pay the 2,800 premium you paid, but the hospital will still treat me at the same cost as if I was in the scheme. That's a local decision made by the government hospital, pending further advise from Bangkok.

Foreign workers are classified as Cambodians, Loas, etc and have a slightly different scheme, detailed by Sheryl in Post #9.

I hope this post will clear up a few things for the members of TV.

Yesterday I received my new card for the cost of 2,200B + 600B for the medical, I had to get a new card because I moved from Rayong province to Korat province.

It seems there are a lot of foreign workers (Burma,Laos & Cambodia) in this area so they knew all about the card.

I was told by the office staff that the card was stopped in June when the Military took control but it was re started again about 2 weeks later.

I hope this helps.

Just when we think we see clearer policy guidance from the top, we realise that local decisions are still what counts for individual members! To my mind one key factor is what happens when a tertiary care referral is made. Have any of the card holders been successfully referred to a larger hospital away from the home area and still received care under the terms of the scheme?

I was referred from my district hospital to my provincial hospital for a cataract operation and everything was covered. The only difference was my district hospital doesn't charge ฿30 the provincial hospital does.

I was referred from my district hospital to my provincial hospital for a cataract operation and everything was covered. The only difference was my district hospital doesn't charge ฿30 the provincial hospital does.

You shouldn't have been charged as you were a referal meaning the 30 Baht would have been paid at the first hospital. But being as you're a foreigner you are exempt from the 30 Baht charge anyway. The 30 Baht is part of the Thai medical card set up.

Edited by sinbin

Jessi, on 10 Jul 2014 - 06:50, said:

I hope this post will clear up a few things for the members of TV.

Yesterday I received my new card for the cost of 2,200B + 600B for the medical, I had to get a new card because I moved from Rayong province to Korat province.

It seems there are a lot of foreign workers (Burma,Laos & Cambodia) in this area so they knew all about the card.

I was told by the office staff that the card was stopped in June when the Military took control but it was re started again about 2 weeks later.

I hope this helps.

Which hospital issued the card in Korat?

Issuing new cards to new members was stopped on 27th June.

Maybe existing members can renew their cards.

Who knows, this is Thailand where the only certainty, is uncertainty!

sinbin, on 10 Jul 2014 - 15:41, said:
Issangeorge, on 10 Jul 2014 - 15:19, said:

You shouldn't have been charged as you were a referal meaning the 30 Baht would have been paid at the first hospital. But being as you're a foreigner you are exempt from the 30 Baht charge anyway. The 30 Baht is part of the Thai medical card set up.

@Issangeorge, did you hold a 'Foreigners Health Card'?

@sinbin. From what my local hospital explained to me, I can understand why issangeorge was charged 30baht by his provincial hospital, even though his district hospital doesn't charge. The charge is completely at the discretion of the hospital, whether your Thai or a Foreigner.

• 2 months later...

I am trying to get my head around this, so please forgive my ignorance. I have never heard of this card until I read this thread and a few others. My situation is simple. I have AIA Insurance from my employer. It is pretty worthless. I was involved in an accident. In the end, my broken leg required surgery and implants. It cost me 300,000 baht. Time was critical, so I didn't have time to search the internet looking for options. I bit the bullet and had the operation. My insurance only covered 30,000 of the cost. That is in the past. I can't change it. My leg is fine now; although, I suffer from moderate to severe pain from time to time.

My questions are basic. I live in Bangkok. I would like to register at a government hospital for reasonably priced health care. I would prefer Chulalongkorn Hospital. My son was born there. That was a positive experience. I have a couple of weeks off now, so I would like to do whatever I need to do. Do I simply go to the hospital and register there? Is there are fee? Do I need to select a certain hospital based on where I live in Bangkok, or am I free to choose?

I apologize if this isn't within the scope of this thread. I would just like to know how to register and where I should go to register for affordable health care. I have found out the very difficult way that healthcare can be very expensive. I would like an affordable solution. I am not getting any younger.

Thank you for any help!

Hi smileplur,

As far as I can make out King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital is a public hospital run by the Thai Red Cross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Chulalongkorn_Memorial_Hospital

They should operate the 30baht scheme. Simply register with the hospital for free and you will be issued a registration card.

For consultations and same day treatment a fee of 30baht is usually charged (although some charge nothing dependant on funding)

For more serious issues such as operations/accidents then you will be charged the same fee as a Thai citizen. They should be able to advise costs at the time.

As an example, days after I arrived in Thailand, I had a problem that needed minor surgery. I couldn't get travel Insurance because I was migrating to Thailand.

My private medical cover was through my employer and was ceased by them when I took early retirement. Private medical cover was just damned expensive.

Not knowing what was available to me in Thailand at that time, I was referred by a GP to what I later found out was a Private hospital.

The total cost for Surgery and 3 days in Hospital was 40,000 baht.

I later discovered that the same Surgery and 3 day stay (in a Private room) in the government hospital would have cost 18,000 baht.

In a private hospital you will be in a private room and meals/drinks are provided. The cost of the room is around 1000 baht per day.

In a government hospital you will be placed on a general ward, unless you pay extra for a private room (400 baht per day in my neck of the woods). No food or drink is provided so someone needs to bring you supplies.

Bangkok will be more expensive, but you can make enquiries re costs.

Some banks also offer affordable medical cover for accidents, which if you drive a car or motorcycle is worth considering.

Edited by Faz

As stated on TVF many times, the universal coverage scheme (or 30 baht scheme) is only open to Thai citizens and not Westerners. There is no publicly-subsidized health care scheme for western expats or long-stay visitors to Thailand at present (apart from when westerners gain access to the employment-based social security scheme or as a spouse to the civil servant medical benefits scheme). If you have no insurance or only basic insurance, the most cost-effective option is to seek treatment at a larger public hospital, preferably a University teaching hospital such as Chula. As stated in the previous post the prices will be much lower than in a private hospital, and the equipment and expertise may be better (excluding the top-end Bangkok private hospitals). Even though you will then pay the same price as Thais treated as private patients in that public hospital, the cost could still be very substantial. If, for example, a long stay in the ICU were necessary it might came close to a million baht. The registration is simply to facilitate tracking of your medical records and won't affect access or the cost of treatment.

Edited by citizen33

"They should operate the 30baht scheme. Simply register with the hospital for free and you will be issued a registration card.

For consultations and same day treatment a fee of 30baht is usually charged (although some charge nothing dependant on funding)

For more serious issues such as operations/accidents then you will be charged the same fee as a Thai citizen. They should be able to advise costs at the time."

Faz - you are still mixing the '30 baht' scheme and being a regular patient together. See post #49.

In the situation you gave about the difference in the cost of the private hospital (40k) vs the government hospital (18k) you are still thinking, apparently, that you would be treated under a special scheme at the government hospital. Not true. If the person was under the '30 baht' scheme, they wouldn't have paid anything.

Because the cost is a lot less expensive than many foreigners are used to paying there continues to be confusion about this topic. Many think they must be in a special program because of the low cost. That is the regular cost.

Just because you register at a hospital you are not in a special scheme. As stated before, that just gives your basic info to the hospital, and allows them to find your medical records when you use their services.

In theory, you should be able to register at just about every hospital in Thailand. Nothing unique or special about that.

Once again, many thanks to Citizen33 and TerryLH for your explanations.

I certainly hope many members have learned as much as I have from this topic.

It appears the same misadministration and interpretation of rules by Immigration officials, is also replicated throughout the government Hospital organisations.

I don't see how some expats can accuse others of abusing the system, when the error is with those running the system.

Agree. Nobody abused anything. In fact, some farangs took the precaution of calling the department in the ministry charged with overseeing the scheme to make sure they were eligible -- and were given the wrong info that they were.

As for the cost being ridiculously low for our demographic, most would have cheerfully paid 2 or three times that, but what can one do? You can only pay what they charge.

The only ones in the wrong here were Ministry managers at central level, who issued a poorly worded directive and apparently do not communicate well with their subordinates and one another.

• Like 1

I was at BANGLAMUNG GOVERNMENT HOSPITAL in August 2014 , Cost 200b for EKG. 200b see the Doctor ,200b for chest X RAY and 60b pills. Right leg is swelled up and painful today Oct 3 2014,going to the hospital ..I saw only 2 Farangs. I like it like that.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just where did I say I expected subsidized Healthcare?

I expect to pay the same as Thais, but not a separate Farang price.

If you can get decent affordable Healthcare under the Thai system, why waste money on private Health Insurance, which has claim limitations, especially as you get older.

Government hospitals have never had a separate "farang" price. It has always been possible to register at them and to receive care at the same price that anyone else not covered under the UCS ("30 baht" scheme) would receive, and this is about 1/5 of the rates at the more expensive private hospitals.

However most Thais receive subsidized care from government hospitals. The "30 baht" price is heavily subsidized and hospitals receive a per capita subsidy for each Thai citizen enrolled in that system in their area. No such subsidy is provided to hospitals for farang.

It is certainly much less expensive to get care at government hospitals but it still warrants having insurance. Even at a government hospital, bills for catastrophic illness/accident can easily exceed a million baht.

There is one exception, that's for married Expats if your wife is a Civil Servant and is paid directly by the government. You get the same free treatment except for items that are not on a list, as do any children and her parents.

Edited by Anon999

I get charged 100 bht for a "hospital fee" and 300 bht "doctor fee" for every consultation (out patient) at Sriphat medical center in Chiang Mai, often only a few minutes. I stopped going unless I really need to. While not expensive it adds up for me on a small fixed income. The 30 bht charge referred to on this thread boggles my mind. Have I been singled out for a higher charges? Is there another option I'm not aware of?

Edited by arend

You just said...Go with the flow...Who nkows?? If you speak Thai you may pass for a Laosian...

Go with the flow.....because still a lot of confusion in hospitals staff about who qualify for the 30thb plan, The truth is that Foreigners do no qualify for any special plan at the moment. The Foreign Health Card program was cancelled, and is only valid for one year from the emission. Period. ...But....if some hospital employee is confuse about and will charge 30 thb to a foreigner.....again....go with the flow...

Until EVERYBODY learns about.....some day...

"There is one exception, that's for married Expats if your wife (spouse) is a Civil Servant..."

"...as do any children and her (their) parents."

Yes, if you have a spouse or child that is a Civil Servant, you are eligible for Civil Service health care.

Beware, though, not all government employees are Civil Servants, but if they are it's a good deal.

I get charged 100 bht for a "hospital fee" and 300 bht "doctor fee" for every consultation (out patient) at Sriphat medical center in Chiang Mai, often only a few minutes. I stopped going unless I really need to. While not expensive it adds up for me on a small fixed income. The 30 bht charge referred to on this thread boggles my mind. Have I been singled out for a higher charges? Is there another option I'm not aware of?

Yes, you can go to Suan Dok, the gov't hospital that is part of the same facility as Sriphat. The charges will be lower, but you'll have to wait longer. Many of the outpatient clinics are run on the 11th floor of the same building where you saw the doctors for Sriphat on the 13th floor.