What's This Green Stuff?

udon

I had a failed download of google earth, deleted it and ever since then, my pics in ACDSee have this green <deleted> on them.

Is it a memory problem?

No green stuff in my Picasa albums. (same pix)

post-2707-1151276123_thumb.jpg

Have you tried rebooting?

That looks to me like some program left the video drivers in an odd state... there is a feature called "overlay planes" that is often used in video (e.g. DVD or MPEG) playing software and certain other graphics programs. It basically defines a certain on-screen color that is intrerpreted to mean "instead of this color, show the contents of the overlay buffer". This is how a motion video can appear in a window and be easily moved around. If you do this on some multi-head systems, the same window on the other monitor would just be a solid color because the overlay is only supported on one screen with certain hardware like many ATI video chips.

This is just speculation... I do not know much about Windows or how it manages things like this.

In WinXP, START-ALLPROGRAMS-ACCESSORIES-SYSTEM TOOLS-SYSTEM RESTORE. A restore point will be available from the time you downloaded Google Earth. Select this point and your computer will be reset to the settings before Google earth.

P

I had a failed download of google earth, deleted it and ever since then, my pics in ACDSee have this green <deleted> on them.

I don’t know where the problem is but the first thing I would do after a failed installation or an uninstall is to run a program that cleans up the registry. I use a program called RegistryFix, but there are many others, some freeware.

---------------

Maestro

Now I’m off to see Switzerland beat Ukraine in the World Cup (hopefully)

Green highlights could be showing areas that are underexposed. This is a setting in ACDSee, nothing to do with GoogleEarth. This is from an ACDSee forum so can't confirm if it's accurate but worth a look;

"Enable the viewer's main tool bar. They are the Green and Red 'flower' buttons. clicking on the button(s) toggles the under and over exposure on and off. If the button is the highlighted with the orange [on my system] it is on."

Repost the pic if you get it working! :o

I agree with James, this is the kind of mark you get when you want to highlight part of a photo which is underexposed or overexposed. I don't use ACDsee but my photo program (iView) has a similar feature and it definitely looks like this.

I think that the people who have no clue and suggest to clean the registry should refrain from posting their advise, you can do real damage by "fixing" a registry

b

Do you see green in any other program?

On my notebook it occasionally replaces all black, everywhere, right from the start. I need to twist the display a little to fix it.

Should take it to the service center while it's on warrantee, but I'm afraid they'll take it away for a couple of weeks and copy all my good stuff.

These programs will highlight it on an existing JPEG image? What do they do, assume that RGB black and white are not possible in real images?? I agree that sounds like the most plausible explanation if this is in fact common practice.

I know you can get that highlighting effect when working with RAW images (which have a much larger dynamic range than the JPEG), but it seems really silly to me for a program to say that a JPEG is "exposed" wrong. Based on the content, I assumed these were not photos he took himself in RAW format... :D

As for drivers corrupting the website, don't put words in my mouth. I was assuming he uploaded a screen-capture of the problem. :o There is something very wrong if any program is corrupting JPEGs he already had on disk! The above color highlighting should be in the viewer if at all, and never on the disk files.

Green highlights could be showing areas that are underexposed. This is a setting in ACDSee
Is this a specific function of the program ACDSee, then? Does this explain why the green areas show up only in ACDSee and not in other programs?

---------------

Maestro

Udon, how does that picture display in “Paint”, the program that comes with Windows? (In Windows XP: start, All Programs, Accessories, Paint)

---------------

Maestro

P.S. If you upload the original picture, others using ACDSee can check if there are green highlights also on their PCs.

Edited by maestro

• 1 month later...
Green highlights could be showing areas that are underexposed. This is a setting in ACDSee, nothing to do with GoogleEarth. This is from an ACDSee forum so can't confirm if it's accurate but worth a look;

"Enable the viewer's main tool bar. They are the Green and Red 'flower' buttons. clicking on the button(s) toggles the under and over exposure on and off. If the button is the highlighted with the orange [on my system] it is on."

Repost the pic if you get it working! :o

Correct, thanks James, here's the result. :D

In my ACD Pro, it's the sunflower icon, top right of the page.

post-2707-1154208440.jpg

Ok? :D