Sense of decency!?

tullynagardy

Like everywhere in the world, you need to choose facebook friends carefully, and then control who is allowed to post on your facebook page.
Better idea.

Don't subscribe to Facebook. It's all a big scam anyway. The US govt owns Facebook and they are using it as a way to control you mind.

Now I'm off to look for my tin foil hat

Neverdie I find that sort of spurious nonsense laughable. The reptilian shapeshifters who truly control this planet by microchips secretly implanted in our bodies as we sleep would never allow it to occur as you suggested! Why, next you'll be telling us that Elvis Presley is didn't fake his own death and actually did shuffle off this mortal coil while taking an Eartha on the bog.

I stand corrected. lol

You do not stand to be corrected.

Facebook has become an addiction for many, they would rather have their right arms cut off than delete their facebook accounts.

To them facebook has become a mainstream part of their lives, the same as their mobile phones and other communication gadgets. I often see them when out and about playing with their silly little devices as if these things have been surgically attached to their hands.

The solution is very simple, just delete your facebook accounts, but I would bet my bottom dollar or bahts that most of these sad social networking users would be mentally unable to click those delete my account buttons.

With 6000 posts over a 4 year period, are you not addicted to Thaivisa? Or can you "take it or leave it" as all addicts say?

Social media has radically changed how people interact and for better or worse, it's here to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand sky ohm. San nmfg

Edited by mesquite

The 'reality filter' in the western world prevents you from seeing such things which happen on a daily basis.

I respectfully disagree.

People in the western world having common courtesy and respect for the dead stops them walking to a deceased person at the side of the road and taking selfies with it. It`s not sheltering anyone, its common decency.

As it happens a long time ago during University I had a part time job as a porter in a busy a & e in the UK. In those 7 years I saw many dozens of dead bodies and endless gore from car accidents. I wasn`t sheltered from it, I simply had (what I believe anyway) to be a natural human instinct to feel sadness and respect around such situations. I appreciate I simply may have been conditioned to be this way being brought up in the UK, but having now lived in both cultures I know what I find preferable,

ps that cannibalism video isnt the same one I am talking about.

• Like 2

Like everywhere in the world, you need to choose facebook friends carefully, and then control who is allowed to post on your facebook page.

Better idea.

Don't subscribe to Facebook. It's all a big scam anyway. The US govt owns Facebook and they are using it as a way to control you mind.

Now I'm off to look for my tin foil hat

Indeed, and I have now hidden their content from my timeline. Deleting them is not an option as it`ll lead to conflict with the Mrs.

Sorry but you did say it's YOUR Facebook timeline, right???

Instead of lamenting on the Thais' morbid fascination with gore, you wanna get off the computer, go into the kitchen, DEMAND your trousers back from your wife and start regrowing your stones, mate.

Why is it that Thai people have such very different levels of decency compared to Western society? Whether its photo shoots of police standing over a butchered body for the press or people taking pictures of fatal car crashes, Thai people differ vastly in what is socially acceptable.

Just my 2 cents on the above.

What is stated above is not the ONLY yard stick to measure.

Look at the big picture - who has the most indecent characteristics in this planet? Subtle or otherwise?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The fascination with gore is one thing, it's sick, but a few years back there was a photo at an accident scene, I think in Pattaya, that revealed a side of Thais and their view of death, I found really disturbing.

A nurse (in uniform including her cap) was standing in front of the wreck. She was smiling. The man next to her was smiling. He was also pointing at the large chunk of unidentifiable flesh the nurse dangled from her hand.

I agree with Beetlejuice, to a degree. Other cultures may also have this sick fascination, but I have doubts western cultures would take pleasure in holding up a piece of the victim, for their own Kodak moment.

Indeed. As beetlejuice alludes, of course this happens all over, but in Western society its taboo to post it on your facebook! Perhaps half my mates secretly look at this crap and I dont know about it, but my original point is it isnt accepted in mainstream circles the way it is here.

Even the Farrang media here has descended to Thai standards - http://www.pattayaone.net/video-news/132827/video-2-dead-3-injured-in-east-pattaya-bike-collision/

Check 30 seconds in and a passer by has walked over to video some bloke lieing injured on the ground. There is almost an air of excitement at Thai road crashes, a strange lust for death and gore, look at the size of that crowd all coming for a peak. A more recent one has close up of a body with blood still running out of it, is there any need?

I don`t get it and it disturbs me

I do understand where you are coming from Tully, but you seem to have it in your mind that this doesn't happen in the West. Your statement:

"but in Western society its taboo to post it on your facebook!"

Unless you are friends with the world on FB, how do you know? You have been exposed to some weird, gory clips & photos from a relatively (?) small group of people and you think it reflects on the entire Thai membership of FB?

​Believe me when i say that i have seen videos and photographs of unbelievable cruelty and treatment of other humans that are kept as 'trophies' by certain individuals, and that was in the UK. Think of the American interrogation in Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq a few years ago, what would make sane Western people do something like that and then post the videos & phots? Because they were a "liberating" force does not give anyone the right to do that and is no excuse.

My post isn't disagreeing with you par se, its just that i find your observations narrow if you believe this just to be a Thai thing. There are sick people everywhere.

• Like 1

With respect to gore and dead bodies, we need to understand that there are teachings in the Buddhism in which we are encouraged to gaze at the ill, the injured, the dying and the dead to remind ourselves of impermanence and the fate that awaits us all (in one form or another).

This is at odds with our Judeo-Christian traditions, indeed a sensibility but perhaps one of over sensibility on our own part.

This is very true. I went to a temple out in the sticks, about 20km from Sisaket, and in one part of the temple there were hundreds of photos of dead and horribly maimed people, many of whom were soldiers. My GF explained that they were used as part of the training for novice monks.

Putting them on FB is another thing altogether, although death is certainly viewed differently here. Thai funerals are not for everyone.

Indeed, and I have now hidden their content from my timeline. Deleting them is not an option as it`ll lead to conflict with the Mrs.

As for the assumption it "happens all over the world" some people have said above, my experience (based on UK,US and Aus) is that it just doesnt. None of my freinds from these countries do this and media in these countries would face jail if they took pictures of a dead body for their paper. "outraging public decency" is what the crime would be in the UK for example.

So, it is against privacy law and not against public decency within those countries you mentioned. We can expect to see more then if there is no restriction on public decency in those countries.

Display of affection, dress almost naked, and show off body tattoo in public are considered public indecency in Thailand, but I imagine those are perfectly fine in the West. The point is each countries has its own view of decency.

It is also that Thais do like to gossip, being nosy and being busybody. It gave them something to talk about if they were to be on the scene.

Display of affection, dress almost naked, and show off body tattoo in public are considered public indecency in Thailand,

Slightly off topic and light hearted - but my grandmother in law walks around her village with her 90 year old tits out, belly button in between laugh.png Would get you arrested where Im from!

Furthermore its incredibly common for men in Thailand to have their tops off displaying tattoos whilst scantily clad woman dancing is common in Issan and beyond.

The idea of Thais being very reserved people in this regard isn`t something I`ve experienced to be brutally honest.

Anyway thanks for the contributions one and all. I take on board the fact we in the West are conditioned to remove ourselves from death and gore, Im quite happy with that to be honest and still think it is a better position than here.

Finally for those who said I simply need to delete these people on facebook and grow a set, I just did that. The rich girl i mentioned in the first post posted this lovely number (deleted) just before my dinner and i thought it, I dont actually care if your related to my wife, deleted smile.png

Edited by bonobo
removed video link

Display of affection, dress almost naked, and show off body tattoo in public are considered public indecency in Thailand,

Slightly off topic and light hearted - but my grandmother in law walks around her village with her 90 year old tits out, belly button in between laugh.png Would get you arrested where Im from!

Furthermore its incredibly common for men in Thailand to have their tops off displaying tattoos whilst scantily clad woman dancing is common in Issan and beyond.

The idea of Thais being very reserved people in this regard isn`t something I`ve experienced to be brutally honest.

Anyway thanks for the contributions one and all. I take on board the fact we in the West are conditioned to remove ourselves from death and gore, Im quite happy with that to be honest and still think it is a better position than here.

Finally for those who said I simply need to delete these people on facebook and grow a set, I just did that. The rich girl i mentioned in the first post posted this lovely number https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=676452265741531&set=vb.652232818163476&type=2&theater# just before my dinner and i thought <deleted> it, I dont actually care if your related to my wife, deleted smile.png

Its been an eventfull day for you on the net.

You do not stand to be corrected.

Facebook has become an addiction for many, they would rather have their right arms cut off than delete their facebook accounts.

To them facebook has become a mainstream part of their lives, the same as their mobile phones and other communication gadgets. I often see them when out and about playing with their silly little devices as if these things have been surgically attached to their hands.

The solution is very simple, just delete your facebook accounts, but I would bet my bottom dollar or bahts that most of these sad social networking users would be mentally unable to click those delete my account buttons.

okay, I don't stand. to be corrected.

(getting soft in my old age bettlejuice, that's a double backflip in less than a few posts).

I agree though, Facebook and the way people go on about it is a real worry.

Facebook goes offline for 30 minutes and the young ones are running around like it's the end of the world. I only get that way when TVF goes down! wink.png. tongue.png

You called me a young one! Thanks.

• Like 1

why is it socially unacceptable to pick your teeth without covering your mouth, but IS acceptable to pick your nose and eat the out come in full view of people, or coughing up flem and gobing on the street in full view.

different culture

There used to be many years ago around New Year time a TV programme that used to show the best or worst ( however you're look at it) murders and accidents of the year, back then they didn't pixalate the gore as well.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Post removed.

9) Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

I agree, in the western media, you do not see the indiscriminate slaughter of civilians, or the human remains of suicide bombers, or the remote destruction of a sidewinder or a raptor and selfies on facebook, absolutely not old boy.

You're a class apart boys, a class apart, well done, well done.

You guys should check out Japan, just about the most polite, respectful and delicate race on earth

Yet walk along the subway and middle aged men spitting and coughing out phlegm onto the side streets

To me It's disgusting, to them its probably acceptable

No surprises , they love posting to face book, they dont care about the content.

I suppose I am quite lucky, my g/f and her friends are into taking photos of their food. When food comes out in a restaurant or sometimes at home out comes the phone, photo and post on fb. Even her friends in the UK do it.

jb1

Nothing to do with the Internet or Facebook

These gruesome photos have been a feature in the Thai press for over 30 years

Part of the culture, I guess?

• Like 1

No surprises , they love posting to face book, they dont care about the content.

I suppose I am quite lucky, my g/f and her friends are into taking photos of their food. When food comes out in a restaurant or sometimes at home out comes the phone, photo and post on fb. Even her friends in the UK do it.

jb1

Yes if there was virtual food many of us could eat for free 24/7. I see on fb from thai "friends" a combination of foodposts and gruesome photos of accidents and severly handicapped people of all ages. I find it all.......

Nothing to do with the Internet or Facebook

These gruesome photos have been a feature in the Thai press for over 30 years

Part of the culture, I guess?

Thais have a saying "If I can't see it I don't believe it". They are more influenced by visual warnings than written warnings. Westerners seem to react better to written warnings.

As is said a picture tells a thousand words. Why do the police pile up totaled vehicles next to service areas on highways etc. It's much better than speeding or don't drink signs.