Should Gay Men and Lesbians be Bracketed together?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28130472

"An event in Canada is currently advertising itself as an "annual festival of LGBTTIQQ2SA culture and human rights", with LGBTTIQQ2SA representing "a broad array of identities such as, but not limited to, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning, two-spirited, and allies". Two-spirited is a term used by Native Americans to describe more than one gender identity."

Granting that we experience different attitudes from the "others", my feelings are that in unity is strength. We're all different in one way or another, and separating ourselves into ever smaller groups is not going to do us any good.

I'm not even sure what you are asking. Bracketed together? In what sense? For an event like described. Sure. To suggest they are the same. Of course not. I like that allies were also included. Friendly straight people are surely welcome to the party.

Edited by Jingthing

Labels are dumb.

Seriously, really really dumb, devised to make someone feel more important than another. Well you're not.

That's too simplistic. Labels are used for a lot of things. I do agree it is a wonderful ideal for human society to evolve from divisive labels, but sorry, that is not a planet that I recognize at this stage.

Labels are dumb.

Seriously, really really dumb, devised to make someone feel more important than another. Well you're not.

That's too simplistic. Labels are used for a lot of things. I do agree it is a wonderful ideal for human society to evolve from divisive labels, but sorry, that is not a planet that I recognize at this stage.

Then you worry too much what others think.

Labels are dumb.

Thanks for the dime store psychological advise.rolleyes.gif Anyway ... back to the topic.

Labels are dumb.

Thanks for the dime store psychological advise.rolleyes.gif Anyway ... back to the topic.

No problem!

I think your answer said it all, and I think you need labels to distinguish yourself.

So long as it helps good Sir.

Like I invented labels. rolleyes.gif

Like it or not, they are part of the cultural environment.

You'll find them in all countries, but different labels and different meaning in different countries (and of course subcultures within countries as well).

Edited by Jingthing

The op's question is interesting, as I've long thought that other than same-sex sexual and emotional attraction, gays and lesbians have little in common...and I mean little. At least in my experience, I can think of the lesbians I've known and had any kind of personal/social relationship with on one hand (and that's not even counting the opposable digit)! All I really know about lesbian culture, other than they like to go down on that thing, are the common stereotypes and I don't know if there is any truth to them and if so how much. It would probably come as a shock to most straights how estranged the gay and lesbian communities really are...coming together to interact socially really only during pride events and festivals to my knowledge. When you think about it, however, it does make sense, I mean, why would I have much in common with a person who's primary attachments are with other women when mine are primarily to other men (like straight women, with whom most gays have a plethora of relationships with).

I have no problem with there being a festival of most anything, representing most anyone, for most any group.

Bringing together different subgroups with shared experiences and common causes makes sense, for a festival or convention.

When it comes to life, or labels I do feel quite differently. Once there begins an alliance of subgroups under the one all encompassing banner, it seems to me that each subgroup loses something of themselves. Issues specific to one subgroup might not be relevant to another subgroup and so messages and identity become lost or clouded.

Should Gay and Lesbians bracketed together? No more so than Tennis players and Football players bracketed together.

• Like 1

Well, I've learnt something ... 'two-spirited' ... it seems to be uniquely a North American term.

I've never heard it used in an Australian context.

Isn't that just a trendy bisexual or transgender? I mean, at some point, the silly labels have to stop.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I'm still figure out how the dykes outfoxed us with the "LGBT" nomenclature to begin with...surely it should be GLBT!

I don't want to sound mysogy... but I do remember GLBT and was surprised to suddenly read LGBT a few years ago. Ladies first?

• Like 2

"annual festival of LGBTTIQQ2SA culture and human rights", with LGBTTIQQ2SA representing "a broad array of identities such as, but not limited to, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning, two-spirited, and allies".

Now that's a mouthful, even for me!

Just imagine the promotional opportunities that can be had! "Welcome to Deknoi's Guesthouse, we are LGBTTIQQ2SA friendly!!"

There is an H missing. We can't discriminate against heterosexuals, can we?

"annual festival of LGBTTIQQ2SA culture and human rights", with LGBTTIQQ2SA representing "a broad array of identities such as, but not limited to, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning, two-spirited, and allies".

Now that's a mouthful, even for me!

Just imagine the promotional opportunities that can be had! "Welcome to Deknoi's Guesthouse, we are LGBTTIQQ2SA friendly!!"

There is an H missing. We can't discriminate against heterosexuals, can we?

A for allies. Covered.

I mean, at some point, the silly labels have to stop.

Well, it's nice to agree with you for once, OMG! Yes, there are far too many silly labels around.

As I said in OP, in unity is strength. Most of the groups are too small to have much impact by themselves, and can only gain from linking together with the rest, but that doesn't mean we have to have a kind of alphabet soup to list them. No categorisation is going to cover everybody anyway; there are some real odd ones out there!

Isn't that just a trendy bisexual or transgender? ...

Not at all. It's specifically a NATIVE AMERICAN thing based on their ancient cultures. I believe Canucks say "First Nations" instead of Native Americans, but same diff.

So how does that work exactly? Is it like signalling with the red or yellow hankies in one's left or right back pocket...is it one or two feathers in their hair? It should make watching my collection of Westerns more interesting :)