Movie recommendation - Zulu

MZurf

Watched the movie Zulu the other day and was very impressed. Engaging story, good directing and very good acting by the lead actors.

It's nice for a change to watch a movie that's more than the intellectual bubble gum that Hollywood normally serves up.

Nothing wrong with that but always good to watch a movie that does not rely mainly on special effects to entertain.

• Like 1

I like the scene where Bromhead(Michael Caine ), dressed in all his finery , concludes a conversation with Chard (Stanley Baker), up to his eyes in mud in a river bed, with the pompous words " I'll get my man to clean your kit" , uttered in a classic home counties accent.

I like the scene where Bromhead(Michael Caine ), dressed in all his finery , concludes a conversation with Chard (Stanley Baker), up to his eyes in mud in a river bed, with the pompous words " I'll get my man to clean your kit" , uttered in a classic home counties accent.

"Thanks, I don't want to be a problem!" To which Bromhead replies "no problem, old boy!" to think that Michael Caine auditioned for the part of "Hooky"!! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

^ 5555, maybe because the guy who watched it lives in Pattaya and that is (for him) why its related to Pattaya.

Maybe a good idea for a Movie Review Sub Forum (maybe under General? ) Mods ?

Ps: cant go to Movie Theatres here in LOS as I have left my winter clothes back in Europe :D

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Watched the movie Zulu the other day and was very impressed. Engaging story, good directing and very good acting by the lead actors.

It's nice for a change to watch a movie that's more than the intellectual bubble gum that Hollywood normally serves up.

Nothing wrong with that but always good to watch a movie that does not rely mainly on special effects to entertain.

Yes, Hollywood is basically creatively bankrupt. They have forgotten how to make great films, for adults. The number of horrific Hollywood films I have seen in the past year boggles the mind. Most of the better films have either been foreign or independent. Hollywood is really losing its way. Huge blockbusters, or sequels that have absolutely no creative juice. Enormous creatures like the 800 foot tall Godzilla, or the 400 foot tall transformers may appeal to 6 to 13 year old kids, but where does that leave us adults? A fistfight by superheroes in Man of Steel? How does an uppercut result in you being thrown through nine skyscrapers? The completely silly CGI of 300? Pompeii. Hercules. Transformers. 22 Jump Street. How to train your dragon. Thor. What garbage. The best days of Hollywood are behind it. Not sure of films like Django Unchained, or Life of Pi? Were they entirely Hollywood, or just Hollywood distribution? Good films. Oblivion was decent. How many others can you name? At least they were written for people over 13. How many films the caliber of Beasts of the Southern Wild, have you seen this year?

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I meant the movie Zulu released in 2014 starring Orlando Bloom and Forrest Whitaker, and directed by Jérôme Sall.

And yes, I live in Pattaya and watched it in Central Pattaya beach and was going to add that they're going to stop showing it soon so hurry up and watch it.

I meant the movie Zulu released in 2014 starring Orlando Bloom and Forrest Whitaker, and directed by Jérôme Sall.

And yes, I live in Pattaya and watched it in Central Pattaya beach and was going to add that they're going to stop showing it soon so hurry up and watch it.

This is exactly what I thought and was kinda surprised no one picked up it was a new movie showing in town

Zulu

Are there any car chases or lots of explosiones ,have not seen an American movie without them lately ,or all holding hand in a ring and praising the lord.to be blunt if its anything like 95% of the rubbish hollywood has turned out recently ,i would not bother.

Are there any car chases or lots of explosiones ,have not seen an American movie without them lately ,or all holding hand in a ring and praising the lord.to be blunt if its anything like 95% of the rubbish hollywood has turned out recently ,i would not bother.

It's not that at all, that was the whole point of my post. And the director is French, not American.

I am 76 and my ears are susceptible to loud noises especially movie theatre speakers when they go from 0 to 100 soundwise. I cannot believe people pay 2 or 3 hundred baht plus overpriced drinks and popcorn to sit in overstuffed seats and watch most of the drivel offered up today as entertainment. Also being 76 I must go to the loo periodically and thus miss the gist of what is happened. Oh also there is the cost of the songtaew there and home again. Would prefer to sit in my recliner at home with homemade popcorn a beer and the pause button on my remote. I use the 15 minute rule either the movie entertains me or its move on to the next one. I must move on at least 25 times a day to find one movie that is half way worth entertaining. I like Vikings, Game of Thrones, Fargo, Walking Dead and Ken Follette's offerings of Jolly Ole England during the feudal era. I would sooner watch a goldie oldie 6 times than some of this tripe offered today for 15 minutes.

I am 76 and my ears are susceptible to loud noises especially movie theatre speakers when they go from 0 to 100 soundwise. I cannot believe people pay 2 or 3 hundred baht plus overpriced drinks and popcorn to sit in overstuffed seats and watch most of the drivel offered up today as entertainment. Also being 76 I must go to the loo periodically and thus miss the gist of what is happened. Oh also there is the cost of the songtaew there and home again. Would prefer to sit in my recliner at home with homemade popcorn a beer and the pause button on my remote. I use the 15 minute rule either the movie entertains me or its move on to the next one. I must move on at least 25 times a day to find one movie that is half way worth entertaining. I like Vikings, Game of Thrones, Fargo, Walking Dead and Ken Follette's offerings of Jolly Ole England during the feudal era. I would sooner watch a goldie oldie 6 times than some of this tripe offered today for 15 minutes.

Thanks for sharing.

Damm. I wanted to see that but the missus dragged me into bloody Maleficent with Angeline. All in Thai too, with no subtitles.

Now you said how good it is, I feel even worse thumbsup.gif

Strange thought that they named it identical to the original Zulu film. Saw that many times. Great film although not liberties taken with facts as usual.

In the Royal Garden cinema I saw a Chinese movie in Thai many moons ago about a band hijacking a passenger liner at sea .... I was the only one to burst out laughing when as part of its cover the band performed and the soundtrack switched to Cilla Black singing ...epic smile.png

Edited by MickA

Yep thanks for the reminder, now the movie Zulu has finished at the local cinema we can close this topic and maybe we can join the topic JSixpack has reminded us about, the last page of this mammoth thread is HERE

//CLOSED//