Utensils in food courts

blue eyes

Was wondering if anyone knows the temperature of the water by where the eating utensils are in some food courts.Does not seem to be at a high enough temperature to sterilize.The water that some people put their chop sticks,spoons or what ever in to make sure they are clean.I do not dip my utensils in it because I feel it would do nothing except add germs to them.What about you, do you dip?Is the real question.

I dip, but I haven't thought about the temperature

Next time I will ask the missus to test if the water is hot enough :D

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM

What I have seen being used has always been a rice-cooker filled with water and set to "warm".

Generally speaking, a temperature of 75C/167F will kill most types of bacteria we need be concerned about eating. Most national food service regulations use that as the minimum temperature for hot food preparation. An example would be re-heated sauces, or re-heated ready cooked meals.

Another practical example would be those ready cooked meat-pies we farangs like to eat in Thailand. To be 100% safe make sure that the pie is thoroughly and uniformly warmed to at least 75C before eating.

An industrial grade dishwasher will have the final rinse (sterilization) stage set to at least 80C with 75C being the lower limit.

Certainly a temperature at boiling point is not required to kill most of the types of bacteria we need to worry about in normal food.

I'd say they are doing food court customers a big service if the water temperature was as at least 75C. I've never checked how hot it actually is.

^ that is good for bathing Babies but not for disinfection or do you bathe your kids in Food courts :D

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM

Those water pots look dodgy, usually filled with food particles. Who knows how often the waters are changed, if they use drinking water at all. I think one would be better off to wipe ones utensils with an antiseptic serviette.

Edited by arunsakda

Any medical supply store, I would imagine. The ones I have access to are for wiping oxygen masks in airplane cockpits, use them for wiping the rat piss off the tops of mineral water cans. I myself don't bother with cleaning the utensils. I believe in "challenging" my immune system.