Thai EC may commission study into rewarding people who vote in elections

webfact

EC may commission study into rewarding people who vote in elections

BANGKOK, 4 July 2014 (NNT) – The Election Commission will consult scholars at King Prajadhipok's Institute about a potential study into offering rewards for people who turn out to vote in elections.

Election Commissioner Phuchong Nutrawong spoke of Thursday's meeting of election commissioners, saying that no resolutions have been yielded because there were numerous agendas that came under deliberation by the meeting.

The EC personnel were meeting to discuss obstacles toward the holding of elections, and findings from the meeting were to be forwarded to the National Council for Peace and Order for the latter's use in reforming the election process.

Mr. Phuchong said he expected the EC to clarify the election law amendment within next week. He also indicated that election commissioners would meet with scholars from King Prajadhipok's Institute to discuss providing voters with compensation money.

The idea was brought up by Election Commissioner Thirawat Thirarotwit, who suggested that EC officials find out more about such measure implemented abroad.

However, Mr. Phuchong asserted the EC was only looking at studying the idea and had no agenda to pursue such measure at this time.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-04 footer_n.gif

I was under the impression they were already being rewarded. 500 baht or 1000 baht depending on the party. biggrin.png

So it is nationalize the previous private organized compensation laugh.png

Isn't the right to vote reward enough? They should teach the people to use their voting power in an appropriate way and not selling it to the highest bidder for short term gains.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by hanuman2543
  • Like 1

"The idea was brought up by Election Commissioner Thirawat Thirarotwit, who suggested that EC officials find out more about such measure implemented abroad."

Where is it done abroad?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

NTT trolling? The "compensation" being discussed is providing people with transportation to the voting places so that politicians don't use that as an excuse to round up voters en masse.

Still a silly idea when it would be much easier and cheaper to make people vote were they actually live instead of having to travel across the country to cast a vote.

• Like 2

And that folks, is Thailand in a nutshell. Not educating the population as to how and why a democratic system works - voting for those whom you feel represent the best ideas as to how your country should be run, no! Give them a tip for turning up to mark a piece of paper they have no idea about and even less interest in unless there's a financial reward. Brilliant blink.png

Thainess ?

Do these people ever think before they speak ?

"The idea was brought up by Election Commissioner Thirawat Thirarotwit, who suggested that EC officials find out more about such measure implemented abroad."

Where is it done abroad?

in Australia you get fined if you don't vote ( if you are on the electoral roll ) and don't have a good excuse

Where is it done abroad?

in Australia you get fined if you don't vote ( if you are on the electoral roll ) and don't have a good excuse

I was vaguely aware that happens in some places, but that's not what this individual is proposing. Where is it legal to financially "compensate" people for voting?

Edited by Bluespunk

EC may commission study into rewarding people who vote in elections

It would make a pleasant change from rewarding those who were voted in at the election I suppose.whistling.gif

However, Mr. Phuchong asserted the EC was only looking at studying the idea and had no agenda to pursue such measure at this time.

Collect a bonus stamp every time you vote. 10 stamps get one free election. Should be achievable in 1-2 years.

• Like 2

Instead of wasting time on thinking of any sort of rewards, why not use the time to think about punishments for the vote buyers and the paid voters. Make ample clear to the potential offenders that they will be treated with harsh punishment.

Make it possibe for people to vote anywhere in the country instead of having had to go back to their provinces.

Educate the voters to vote with their conscience bearing in mind of the country first instead of being impressed by populist policies and sweet talks given by the fast-Eddie type. I know this is hard to do as most people in the West are attracted to this type anyway even with their level of 'sophistication'!

Edited by muchogra

Collect a bonus stamp every time you vote. 10 stamps get one free election. Should be achievable in 1-2 years.

It will only work if they give this campaign a catchy name. I suggest Amazing Thailand Grand Doraemon Voting Festival.

• Like 2

It will only work if they give this campaign a catchy name. I suggest Amazing Thailand Grand Doraemon Voting Festival.

Too complicated. How about "sell one get one flea"?

• Like 1

Where is it done abroad?

And is Australia doing the right thing? I think not. It just forces ill-informed people to vote on something they no zilch about. Most of the people that vote because it is mandatory probably only read the sports pages and even that would be a stretch.

• Like 1