Bangkok drops out of world's top 10 best cities for travel

webfact

So this is based on what? What has changed in Bangkok?

perhaps the abundant coups, protests, flooding, airport closures, tour bus wreckings might just have diminished Bangkok's allure?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Charleston, South Carolina is 2nd on the list..

I'd rather go to Bangkok but then I live in Bangkok & never been to Charleston.

dont knock it till you been there. it is a beautyful city.

I don't think Iphad was knocking Charleston, but wasn't Charleston, South Carolina where the American Civil War was started?

thxs..I wasn't knocking Charleston...I was knocking the list.

it's like a list of the top 10 actors in the world or a Dave Letterman's top 10 list.

You could spend a month in Bangkok for price of 2 days in Japan. Rent a motorcycle for 3.00 dollars in Payttya how much in

USA, got to get a license 70.00 in Florida and maybe 30.00 a day haha

How much in Japan? Japan is broke and wont be much when they haft to pay the piper. US right behind Japan.

Western media just goes to far. They are no longer journalist, but just want to do sensationalism. Only certain parts of the city of Bangkok are affected, but western journalist make it sound like the entire country is in turmoil. Leave the Thai nation to itself, it will figure out what is good for them. Democracy is certainly not looking good in the US. Thailand will do what is needed and will survive. USA is just over 200 year's, Thailand is thousands of years. Leave them alone.

What is her name and where did you meet?

So much angst over a travel and leisure rag from the US... We've pretty much run the gambit of whose fault it is BKK fell out of the top 10, including the usual suspects that say 'if you don't like it, leave'... Personally, I've always wondered how BKK made the top of the list 4 years running considering other destinations around the world... That is unless you like sweat running down your back into the crack of your arse, food so spicy the average tourist won't need a dose of colon blow for a while and being accosted by everyone from Nigerian scammers to ladyboys in tourist areas... I love the place, but I am drawn to it because of the diversity and bizarre things you run into almost daily...

• Like 2

Anywhere where I don't get 'hey my friend!' And 'mr mr please look here' I'm happy with. Nowhere in japan do you get that bullshit

Me and my mrs love Bangkok in short bursts and I also enjoyed living and working there while it lasted but on the whole the city is absolutely nothing that special. The majority is still a shithole and it stinks (literally)

Anywhere where I don't get 'hey my friend!' And 'mr mr please look here' I'm happy with. Nowhere in japan do you get that bullshit

Me and my mrs love Bangkok in short bursts and I also enjoyed living and working there while it lasted but on the whole the city is absolutely nothing that special. The majority is still a shithole and it stinks (literally)

but you'll miss the ' oh!! handsome man' bit LOL.

That is unless you like sweat running down your back into the crack of your arse, food so spicy the average tourist won't need a dose of colon blow for a while and being accosted by everyone from Nigerian scammers to ladyboys in tourist areas...

You are nothing if not frank, I'll say that for you...

From Travel & Leisure Magazine website, "Our readers are sophisticated, active travelers who look to us for planning both pleasure and business trips." You see who the client base is that is getting pitched. Poll participants for this magazine would be unlikely to recognize the cities that they visited if removed from the elegant little bubbles that they did their touring in.

"Ohhh honey! Now I know where we are. That's the hotel whose bathroom shower powder made my butt smell like a potpourri!" rolleyes.gif

So this is based on what? What has changed in Bangkok?

based on payments.......these lists are all rigged

How on earth could that be? As it was done by the US magazine Travel & Leisure.

Western media just goes to far. They are no longer journalist, but just want to do sensationalism. Only certain parts of the city of Bangkok are affected, but western journalist make it sound like the entire country is in turmoil. Leave the Thai nation to itself, it will figure out what is good for them. Democracy is certainly not looking good in the US. Thailand will do what is needed and will survive. USA is just over 200 year's, Thailand is thousands of years. Leave them alone.

100% True.

But very unpalatable for the majority.

So much angst over a travel and leisure rag from the US... We've pretty much run the gambit of whose fault it is BKK fell out of the top 10, including the usual suspects that say 'if you don't like it, leave'... Personally, I've always wondered how BKK made the top of the list 4 years running considering other destinations around the world... That is unless you like sweat running down your back into the crack of your arse, food so spicy the average tourist won't need a dose of colon blow for a while and being accosted by everyone from Nigerian scammers to ladyboys in tourist areas... I love the place, but I am drawn to it because of the diversity and bizarre things you run into almost daily...

If you change the places you frequent, I am sure you will avoid these - accosted by everyone from Nigerian scammers to ladyboys in tourist areas...

If you avoid countries that dont suit you you could keep your arse dry and blow your colon regularly.

Your taste & your preferences in climate is not suitable for everyone.

Think more before travelling instead of whining...

Edit

Bland food & raw meats makes most Asians puke

Edited by ravip

I remember not too long ago Bangkok was somewhere most tourists, the ones who even bothered to go there, spent 1-3 days before heading off to where they actually wanted to go in Thailand. In the last several years though the place is getting hyped, maybe I should give Bangkok another visit.

Edited by kevozman1

People (media) who dare to come up with a ridiculous list like this should be banned from publishing forever. What a load of <deleted>!

The world would be quite empty of publications & 'do good' institutions!

That will happen when tourists stop coming, and expats move to more hospitable locations. USA may be 200 years, but people have been in land that makes up USA for thousands of years, European and African types around 400 years. Thailand gave up absolute monarchy some 80 years ago. As a democracy, Thailand is very young and has not yet mastered the basics.

Bangkok is getting old. People want to experience a new environment.

This is a US based survey.

There are still millions of US citizens who do not know what a passport looks like. For the majority of US would be travellers, Thailand must still sound like a paradise..

Thailand in general is losing it's tourist luster for many reasons. Inflation is high, so the value proposition is getting worse, general atmosphere has degenerated, people have seen it all already, concrete malls are to be had everywhere, the environment has gotten dirty, scams are well publicized in social media, "virtual tourism" lets you see the sight with a few clicks, and so on, and so on. Even the hard core sex tourists seem to be looking for new destinations. It could be argued Thailand can't be categorized as "exotic" anymore.

Mass tourism is peaking, in other words. Unless Thais figure out something really new, it's going to stagnate and eventually start declining.

Edited by DrTuner

I don't think this has a lot to do with the coup.

The reality is that BKK has just priced itself out of the game.

Prices are now up there with other first world destinations.

However, in those other destination you also get quality, cleanliness and good service.

The US is taking a hit in the Thai press? Thailand is still no.4 in Asia.

But I suppose the fact that Travel and Leisure reported Thailand was affected by coup/protests swayed voters?

Then again there is the need to promote the US as the New Shin Corporation. They still need to blame someone for all the bad things happening.

• Like 1

I'm sorry Orientalsf but you need to research the history of Thailand... :-)

Web-statement: This just in, Travel and Leisure magazine declared corrupt magazine of the of the ignorant US who just don't understand the Thai. Reading this unhappy periodical in public is now illegal and will mandate two months of happiness training at a military resort and spa.

Junta Travel and Leisure will now conduct their own poll free of corruption, and the good news is - they've already declared Thailand the winner of all 10 most happiest places in next year's poll.

• Like 1

It dropped out of my top ten at least five years ago. Too many oversized shopping malls and pretentious BS for my taste. Before the inevitable retorts of "if you don't like it then don't come here", I DO still come here because of the many personal relationships I have here. If I came as a first time visitor these days, not knowing anyone, I doubt I would be terribly impressed. It has lost the gritty and exotic appeal it had in a previous era and is now more suited to women with a shopping addiction.

How they could ever rate BKK as the top destination on the Planet is beyond comprehension. Compared to many others it is a dump !

Get off your backside, move away from the bars and Nana Plaza, and you will find Bangkok a very interesting city. rolleyes.gif

Seems alot of tourists don't care for unregulated noise pollution & air pollution, being run over by motorbikes on the sidewalk, being accosted by ladyboys, broken sidewalks, thieving taxi and tuk-tuk operators, and the stench of humanity that is Bangkok.

Go figure.

• Like 1