Bangkok drops out of world's top 10 best cities for travel

webfact

So this is based on what? What has changed in Bangkok?

based on payments.......these lists are all rigged

Hyperbole much? How could you possibly know that they "are all rigged"? You can't.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems alot of tourists don't care for unregulated noise pollution & air pollution, being run over by motorbikes on the sidewalk, being accosted by ladyboys, broken sidewalks, thieving taxi and tuk-tuk operators, and the stench of humanity that is Bangkok.

Go figure.

Did all this just happen since Bangkok was listed in the top ten for several years?

Seems alot of tourists don't care for unregulated noise pollution & air pollution, being run over by motorbikes on the sidewalk, being accosted by ladyboys, broken sidewalks, thieving taxi and tuk-tuk operators, and the stench of humanity that is Bangkok.

Go figure.

Did all this just happen since Bangkok was listed in the top ten for several years?
Ha.

I wasn't here for several years but most Americans I know tell me they loved going to the beach but detested Bangkok whenever I tell them I now reside in BKK. They mention the reasons I listed above. A common theme also seems to be that their reason for no longer vacationing in Thailand is that each successive trip to Thailand showed a general deteriorating condition from each of the previous. The relationship of cost to quality kept deteriorating compared to other Asian destinations.

Ed, you would have to tell me how long the issues I named have been around--or are you saying they don't exist?

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

You could spend a month in Bangkok for price of 2 days in Japan. Rent a motorcycle for 3.00 dollars in Payttya how much in

USA, got to get a license 70.00 in Florida and maybe 30.00 a day haha

How much in Japan? Japan is broke and wont be much when they haft to pay the piper. US right behind Japan.

$5 massage vs $50 stateside (crap)

$6 oil vs $80 stateside

$16 handjob vs $50 stateside

$31 for a fullservice drillling with a looker versus $150-400 stateside

and its only the beginning

UK & US rightclick\send to\recycle bin

Is that what most people vacation for? Bangkok is a shithole by world standards. France is the #1 tourist destination in the world.

But the USA is #2 and brings in by far the most tourist money - more than twice as much as France and 4X what Thailand does. BBC

Thailand is all mouth when it comes to its tourism.

It matters little to people who live in Thailand. As for visitors, Thailand is interesting, challenging with a unique culture and language that make it an interesting place to visit and live. Everytime I visit BKK, I discover new and interesting sites that make it more attractive to me as a touring destination. I live in Mukdahan but visiting BKK is now higher on my visiting list with my wife and daughter now that it has fallen from grace.

In my job I frequently have to dispense travel advice to tourists. Especially first timers, I recommend not to spend the first few days, but the last few days in Bangkok. Flying to a tropical country, the place the plane lands, no matter if it is Rio de Janeiro, Mumbai or Bangkok, will always be an extremely busy, hot, noisy and smelly mega city with crazy traffic. All of these places have a lot of things to offer, but better to spend time there at the end of your holiday, when you are already a bit used to the culture and the climate.

• Like 1

I just love it when predominantly US news sources refer to Florence, Italy or for that matter Paris, France at al. Most of us know where Florence and Paris are. If it turns out that they are referring to Florence, Alabama or Paris, Texas, then say so.

I just love it when predominantly US news sources refer to Florence, Italy or for that matter Paris, France at al. Most of us know where Florence and Paris are. If it turns out that they are referring to Florence, Alabama or Paris, Texas, then say so.

What do you expect when they say New York, New York? wai.gif

And take me disappearing thru' the smoke rings of my mind

Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves

The haunted frightened trees, upto the windy beach

Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow and the Brits :)

Lord have Mercy - dig this

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=United+Kingdom&city1=Chiang+Mai&city2=London

Bangkok Marriott on sukh soi 57 sale for $98, Hilton Doubletree on soi 26 sale was at $70 - took advantage of both

and racked up even more points - buffet brekky at both are worlclass and trounce nearly anything at their counterparts

stateside or in London.

Marriott rooms, separate shower and crapper area, marble everywhere, lotions and soaps superb, ditto for the Hiltons

with their Citron brand.

Bangkok, do I love you so.

Bangkok credited with the first city to break the sex famine extant in the USA & UK for soo many male sufferers. Sex in UK

and USA highpriced for a stock with negative earnings. Bangcock broke thru' ALL of that.

BKK + a tracksuit + small backpack = all one needs to disconnect from the sh*t dished out in the UK and US.

A MAN could be very happy there.

But Chiangmai takes that MAN to the ultimate plateau. :)

Bangkok Marriott on sukh soi 57 sale for $98, Hilton Doubletree on soi 26 sale was at $70 - took advantage of both

and racked up even more points - buffet brekky at both are worlclass and trounce nearly anything at their counterparts

stateside or in London.

Marriott rooms, separate shower and crapper area, marble everywhere, lotions and soaps superb, ditto for the Hiltons

with their Citron brand.

Bangkok credited with the first city to break the sex famine extant in the USA & UK for soo many male sufferers. Sex in UK

and USA highpriced for a stock with negative earnings. Bangcock broke thru' ALL of that.

BKK + a tracksuit + small backpack = all one needs to disconnect from the sh*t dished out in the UK and US.

Do you refer to the Marriott near nana BTS? The big <deleted> off sized hotel? Could have my soi's mixed up as I was sure that was soi 2. If it is we will book there if that's the current rate

stateside or in London.

with their Citron brand.

A tracksuit ?

I may have discovered why you were having a sex famine in the US....

Cheers

• Like 1

Western media just goes to far. They are no longer journalist, but just want to do sensationalism. Only certain parts of the city of Bangkok are affected, but western journalist make it sound like the entire country is in turmoil. Leave the Thai nation to itself, it will figure out what is good for them. Democracy is certainly not looking good in the US. Thailand will do what is needed and will survive. USA is just over 200 year's, Thailand is thousands of years. Leave them alone.

You read a lot more then I did from this article. In fact, nothing you mentioned was brought up was it? And democracy isn't looking good in the US? Whose being sensational now? I can pack a bag and be in BKK n 17 hours. How long would it take a Thai national to go anywhere.

And Thailand has had 13 coups since 1932, not really what you would call stability.

And tell me just how ranking a tourist destination is infringing on their country?

Don't the idiots behind these constant claims and proclamations realize they have lost all credibility? I regard any piece of paper their opinions are written on as worth about the same as a piece of used toilet paper. Not that Kyoto isn't a great city, it is, just that this kind of research is just worthless. So worthless in fact that if I ever meet the editor of this or similar rags, in travel, health, finance or whatever, I think I will just punch them straight in the face for being annoying, useless, superficial, lying sacks of excrement.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

You can fool some of the people, some of the time. But you cannot fool all of the people all of the time!

If I may "update": - you can fool some of the people all the time, or all the people some of the time, BUT never all of the people all of the time. wai.gif

Usually the results surveys like this come up with are a joke. I remember for instance Ao Nang, Krabi being listed as one of the best beaches in the world, they were selling it as a real insider tip. In reality this beach is heavily over commercialized, walking down beach road you are constantly hassled by restaurant staff. Not knowing the real situation, somebody following a suggestion made by such a survey could be up for a big disappointment.

Well, Charleston SC was #2 so I think there is some truth in what you say.

You can fool some of the people, some of the time. But you cannot fool all of the people all of the time!

If I may "update": - you can fool some of the people all the time, or all the people some of the time, BUT never all of the people all of the time. wai.gif

Unless someone is.

Don't the idiots behind these constant claims and proclamations realize they have lost all credibility? I regard any piece of paper their opinions are written on as worth about the same as a piece of used toilet paper. Not that Kyoto isn't a great city, it is, just that this kind of research is just worthless. So worthless in fact that if I ever meet the editor of this or similar rags, in travel, health, finance or whatever, I think I will just punch them straight in the face for being annoying, useless, superficial, lying sacks of excrement.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Your post had merit until the part about punching and excrement. After that, it became another example of a discredited post.

Think, Think, Think.

Nooooo not beloved Bangkok jewel of south east asia, its probably a math mistake surely. With everything on the up and up how can it possibly be out of the top ten... im gonna write to my local MP and have a word ... oh wait a min....wrong country.

want to go somewhere in bkk postmaster go chatuchak market at the weekend or patunam or tarpajan for curios ...makawan in the evenings wed i think still dusit zoo if you like caged animals and if your real lucky the Bangkok museum might just be open.

Wats go to Wat Arun, Wat Paknam or Wat prakao ... ask a taxi to get you round 9 wats in a day... auspicious stuff ...go to Wat Po for the best massage in your life by blind masseuses, go watch the wildlife on khaosan road and drink a few beers... go to the blues bar for some good live music.... zenred if your looking for a hairstyle... bedtime supper club is shut atm i believe for silly hiso eating ... pick any million eateries... try a moo ka taa .. ( Thai barbecue )

take a walk around the old fort near victory monument go to chinatown for all manner of cheap stuff and over priced food.... stare in awe at the prices in tescos or carrefour then go and get your feet massaged by some fish in a pond in some weird way at MBK basement its actually quite cool if you can take fish munching on your dead skin...

Go to RCA in the evening to see all the thai hi so kids strutting their stuff ... go marvel at the second hand car showrooms everywhere and wonder who pays near new prices for a old piece of badly serviced crap.

Take a ferry across the river wander about and get lost and then get a taxi back when you feel like it.... try and work out whos a gov worker vs a uni student ... spot the tightest police uniform wearer... snigger at the ones with pot bellys.... give a flower to any soldier and get a selfie... all the rage atm

get up really early like 4 30 am and go to a normal residential area and you may see the monks going about their alms rounds. ...... then go to the early trade markets all over the place and have your sense assaulted...

Get on the oldest bus you dare ... small green things if you can find one then youll realise why the fair is only about 5bht ..... if you have some spare cash to throw away get a tuk tuk and let him drag you into every tailor and massage parlour with 10 km ....

Go to an exhibition if ones on, dosnt matter what its about its great for people watching and loud noise.....go to the cinema and freeze while watching a movie due to the aircon being set as low as possible.

When your done shopping in all the mega plazas that sell the same stuff same shops and are the same owned ( theres 2 cartels only really Central and Siam ) get the heck out of Bangkok and see some of the real country and people not on fast forward or spend happy.

Most of all smile and have fun.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1